• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ticket prices to internationals in NZ over the last decade or so

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Hi all. It's been a long time.

Listen, purely for my own amusement: does anyone have any ticket stubs from international matches *in New Zealand* over the last decade or so? I'm actually pretty appalled at how expensive it's become to attend cricket here, and especially how rapidly prices have climbed in recent years.

Putting aside all arguments about what exactly a fair price is, I'm wondering how closely reality matches what I remember. What I do know is that when I used to work at the National Bank a while ago, a day's play at any given test was $15. Four years ago when I attended the Basin test against Australia, I was caught out by the $33 gate price. Now it's at least $43 for all matches.

So, any info you might have or remember would be very interesting.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've got ticket stubs over the last 8 or so years around somewhere. I'll have a look.

Pretty sure a 5 day pass at the Basin for both of the last two England Test matches was $100 though, and hadn't changed.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
$48 for a full match pass to watch India's Wellington Test from over the bowler's arm in the Vance Stand (not the unsafe 'red stickered' Museum Stand) I thought was very good.

You sign up to their priority ticketing scheme and then buy within the first five days of sale (16th-20th Jan) -
BLACKCAPS Priority Ticketing

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

$48 for a full match pass to watch India's Wellington Test from over the bowler's arm in the Vance Stand (not the unsafe 'red stickered' Museum Stand) I thought was very good.

You sign up to their priority ticketing scheme and then buy within the first five days of sale (16th-20th Jan) -
BLACKCAPS Priority Ticketing
Yeah, I heard about that. Agreed that it's a bit more reasonable when you do that, but here's the thing: to get those cheaper prices you need to create accounts on two websites (Ticketek and NZ cricket), and remember to buy the tickets within their arbitrary window. Plus to really make it pay you need to commit to multiple days, which can also mean taking time off work. It's all just very inconvenient.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Putting aside all arguments about what exactly a fair price is, I'm wondering how closely reality matches what I remember. What I do know is that when I used to work at the National Bank a while ago, a day's play at any given test was $15. Four years ago when I attended the Basin test against Australia, I was caught out by the $33 gate price. Now it's at least $43 for all matches.
NZ vs AUS, 1st Test, Basin Reserve, 19-23 March 2010
Match Pass $78

I remember at the time it being extremely expensive. I think Pakistan visited earlier in the season and I only paid $50-60 for the match. I think for that Australian series all prices were up a bit because of the standard of the opposition, knowing people will pay even with the extra cost.

HeathDavisSpeed

That'll buy you a burger and coke at Lords.......think yourself lucky!!
Sadly I don't have my old tickets from Lords to hand, but I think even in 1993 it was about GBP15-21 to get in. It is still cheaper to get in for a day's play at the Basin Reserve than it was to get into Lords in 1993 - even with the current exchange rates.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, I heard about that. Agreed that it's a bit more reasonable when you do that, but here's the thing: to get those cheaper prices you need to create accounts on two websites (Ticketek and NZ cricket), and remember to buy the tickets within their arbitrary window. Plus to really make it pay you need to commit to multiple days, which can also mean taking time off work. It's all just very inconvenient.
Signing up for the NZC one, you can choose reminders for when tickets go on sale at the 50% discount price for whichever games you're interested in. It could be a lot worse tbh.

It's the ODIs which I think are particularly overpriced.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Priority ticketing sucks, its only a 6 day window to get them, more than a month away from games, i was gutted i missed out on a $45 match pass to the Hamilton test when it was still weeks away from the game.

An adult ticket was $43 and a concession was $23. Ironically you could leave and re-enter the ground with a concession, but that might just be ticketing people being lazy, so might not be true for other games.

Also today, when tickets were half price concessions were still full price, so it wasn't actually any cheaper to get in.

So ended up costing me $80ish to watch five and a bit sessions. Not complaining as it was definitely worth it, but it would be nice to see prices fall, its not as if the ground was full or anything

Dick Rockett

That'll buy you a burger and coke at Lords.......think yourself lucky!!
I often hear that, but y'know, different countries 'n' all. Some things are cheap there and expensive here and vice versa. But we definitely get paid bugger all compared to other countries so there's that.

it would be nice to see prices fall, its not as if the ground was full or anything
Exactly. I heard commentators on radio and TV talking about the "bumper crowd" at Hamilton on Saturday - what I saw was virtually no one in the seats and everyone on the bank had room to lie flat. A bumper Saturday crowd would be, y'know, full. It's not like Seddon Park is the MCG or anything.

The fact is people aren't actually going to the games. And the question is, when NZC are sucking up the TV dollars, do they even care if anyone comes through the gate?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm planning on going to the Basin Reserve in February for India vs. NZ so this is a well-timed thread.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I thought it was a rip at Hamilton as well but was significantly cheaper if you could steal your brothers Student Card :) only $23

To put it in perspective RSA in Hamilton was $15, so it was 3 times the price to watch Sammy and Best than Steyn and Morkel

The 5 day price has not changed I got my pass for Auckland for about $90 last year was about the same in Hamilton.