• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pujara could be batting equivalent of McGrath

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Steve Waugh used to say that he never understood why, particularly later on, people didn't bat out there crease and use there feet to McGrath.
It seems to me that the bounce extracted by McGrath made it difficult for batsmen to treat him like your average, park trundler. IIRC Pieterson got a broken rib trying it, and at a time when McGrath was nearing the end of his career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Xuhaib is a gun poster and very rarely biased. I reckon he genuinely thinks this about McGrath. I strongly disagree with his viewpoint, but he's not being a dick or anything imo.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Different bowlers had different strengths and weaknesses. To say that McGrath might not have been so outrageously dominant against certain types of batsmen isn't saying that he was just a massive troll who fluked all his wickets.

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Xuhaib is a gun poster and very rarely biased. I reckon he genuinely thinks this about McGrath. I strongly disagree with his viewpoint, but he's not being a dick or anything imo.

It’s a very clunky post that does actually show bias (everyone has bias, it’s called an opinion)

I don’t have a problem with his view about McGrath at all, nor do I doubt his sincerity in his belief that McGrath is overrated. My issue is with the original post being advertised as being about Pujara but the opening sentence sets up the theme of the thread to be about McGrath. This may or may not have been the intention or it just could be a normal bias* against a player showing though and unintentionally becoming the focus of the thread. Either way it is a poorly conceived post IMO because of the thinly stretched premise of comparing them in the first place.

*what I mean by that is everyone judges a player through their own perception, which is a perfectly normal thing to do

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It’s a very clunky post that does actually show bias (everyone has bias, it’s called an opinion)

I don’t have a problem with his view about McGrath at all, nor do I doubt his sincerity in his belief that McGrath is overrated. My issue is with the original post being advertised as being about Pujara but the opening sentence sets up the theme of the thread to be about McGrath. This may or may not have been the intention or it just could be a normal bias* against a player showing though and unintentionally becoming the focus of the thread. Either way it is a poorly conceived post IMO because of the thinly stretched premise of comparing them in the first place.

*what I mean by that is everyone judges a player through their own perception, which is a perfectly normal thing to do
Yeah sure. My point is that Xuhaib isn't trolling Australian fans here or anything. He genuinely believes this. If you disagree like 90% of people here on the forum, fine, counter his points or just ignore. I guess what I'm saying is that there are some threads started just to piss people off or "get revenge for other people making fun of their country's best players". This isn't one of them.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
MotorBoatee makes a really good point here. I don't know what it is, but no doubt it's really good

Xuhaib

International Coach
Different bowlers had different strengths and weaknesses. To say that McGrath might not have been so outrageously dominant against certain types of batsmen isn't saying that he was just a massive troll who fluked all his wickets.
Finally somebody gets it.

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Yeah sure. My point is that Xuhaib isn't trolling Australian fans here or anything. He genuinely believes this. If you disagree like 90% of people here on the forum, fine, counter his points or just ignore. I guess what I'm saying is that there are some threads started just to piss people off or "get revenge for other people making fun of their country's best players". This isn't one of them.
Duly noted. I'm more of a lurker here, I usually read the comments and don't take that much notice of who makes them. This looked like a troll post , but i'm happy to admit i'm probably wrong on that point. However my point still stands that it was an ill conceived comparison. Btw my intial response was directed more towards Dhillon for his remark re: sensitivity over Sachin. Anyway, I'll go back to my lurking now :-)

Xuhaib

International Coach
I can understand some people finding it odd to compare a medium pacer:ph34r: to a top order batsman so i can see where the negative feedback is coming from.

I think it was made clear in the OP that IMO the similarity comes from with both Pujara and Mcgrath being different to the other world class players in their era hence they are more likely to throw the opponent off their game plan then what other world class players would do which in effect allows them to do a bit better then other world class players in their era. The criticism of calling a rookie batsman world class and comparing him with a 500 wicket legend is justified but then sometimes I like sticking my neck out.

cnerd123

likes this
Stats time

Pujara batted 928 balls this series, unsurprisingly the highest amongst all players this series. Labuschagne was second with 850 balls. In terms of Balls faced per innings, Pujara averaged 116.

In India's 2018 win in Aus, he batted 1258 balls at a BFpI of 179. His combined average across both tours is 146.

For comparison:
Che's Career BFpI = 99.80
Kohli = 86.67
Smith = 98.41
Labuschagne = 110.67
Rahane = 76.60
Dravid = 109.29
Rohit Sharma = 68.1

Of all visiting batsmen to Australia in Test series of 4 or fewer Tests, Che Pu's tally of 1258 balls in 2018 is the highest, and his 928 this series is 5th. The only other batsman who features twice in the Top 20 of this list is Rahul Dravid - 3rd for his 1203 balls in 2003 and 20th for his 750 balls in 2007. Dravid's BFpI in Australia is 122.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Gotta admire Pujara's nuggetiness. Guy's not been at his best for a while now but has somehow kept making meaningful, even game-changing, contributions every 3-4 Tests. Unlike at least two others from his generation. The moxie is real.