• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pujara could be batting equivalent of McGrath

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Jimmy Adams didn't average in mid 60s in FC cricket as well iirc. I'd be disappointed if he goes the Adams or Hussey way.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Agree to a great extent.

Atherton is over rated in these forums and testimony to that is his sub 40 batting average. He was a dour defensive player who tended to push above his weight and survived in the English team largely because there really weren't better players. In makes, he is comparable to say an Aakash Chopra or a Azhar Ali who has immense patience but is stuck in the first gear for long.

But I disagree with your Pujara example. How many players are averaging in the 60s in test cricket at this very juncture after having played a reasonable amount of matches? Pujara took on the likes of Steyn, Philander etc at their den and has shown he can score big there as well. McGrath similarly took on the likes of Tendulkar and Lara and stamped his dominance on them as well. I agree his average wouldn't be so kosher had he been playing all the time against subcontinental teams, and also played a significant proportion against England, whom he individually and Aus collectively made mincemeat of in his time.
I think you have misundersood me. I am not labeling him a flat track bully or Mcgrath a poor batsmen bully. All I am pointing out is that Pujara is bringing a unique skill on the table that has thrown world class bowlers like Steyn and Philander off their game.Apart frm Chanderpaul or maybe Cook name one elite batsman in current day cricket who is an excellent leaver of the ball. Most of them Clarke, Amla, KP, Sanga are all batsman who pick the length early drive on the up there is sameness in their batsmanship I am not saying they have weak defence their defense is good but they are all batsman who likes the feel of bat on ball from the get go.. Pujara is (can be) world class like the rest of them however his mode of batsmanship looks and feel different and this is why quality fast bowlere may find him touch tougher then among other world class peers since his gameplan is different to them.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pujara has succeeded at every single stage of cricket he's played. From U19 to Ranji to A tours. Been poor in the Duleep trophy unfortunately, but that's not a big deal since the cricket there is the highest of any FC competition in the world.

Burgey

Jimmy Adams didn't average in mid 60s in FC cricket as well iirc. I'd be disappointed if he goes the Adams or Hussey way.
Yes, the current juggernaut of the Ranji Trophy compares favourably with the FC cricket Adams was playing in the late 80s/ early 90s in the WI and England.

Xuhaib

International Coach
How many tests has Pujara played? I remember Jimmy Adams averaging 70 after 20 or 25 tests, so you kind of need to be a bit careful judging these players so soon.

Fwiw though I really think Pujara is the real deal. Quality player.
Burgey this thread has nothing to do with the average even if Pujara was averging 45 would have made this thread. Heck before yesterday I did not even know he has 1500 runs. It was the first time I have watched him bat properly and his 100 felt completley different to a hundred from Clarke, KP, AB or Amla.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yes, the current juggernaut of the Ranji Trophy compares favourably with the FC cricket Adams was playing in the late 80s/ early 90s in the WI and England.

Averages over 60 playing for India A as well as Rest of India, which I believe is testimony to him having faced much better attacks in domestic cricket that Hussey or Adams ever did. BTW what was Hussey's domestic average again?

Xuhaib

International Coach
btw a lot of Adams batting decline had to do with the head injury he suffered who knows Pujara might have a freak injury next game and reitre after 25 tests avg a respectable 42.

Daemon

Please, there are numerous hidden fast bowling gems in the Ranji circuit, but ****s like Ishant, Sreesanth, Dinda and the like have been keeping them hidden away. One of them has been recently unearthed while Nostrils would have had a rich haul in 2013 if he hadn't got injured. Pankaj Singh would no doubt have 200 wickets at 25 by now if he was picked earlier.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
[I don't think we are making futuristic assumptions here. Shahid Afridi might have a *** change and come back as the greatest woman cricketer ever as well.

Burgey

Averages over 60 playing for India A as well as Rest of India, which I believe is testimony to him having faced much better attacks in domestic cricket that Hussey or Adams ever did. BTW what was Hussey's domestic average again?
Look, I don't know what Hussey's domestic average is because I really don't give a ****. I don't even know why Hussey's name was brought into the discussion tbh. But let's get fair dinkum here, Indian FC cricket is widely regarded as a bit of a giggle isn't it? And has been for donkey's years.

I don't care what Pujara averages in Indian FC cricket either, fwiw. I don't care because I think he's a very good player who will hopefully have a long and successful career. I've gathered that from watching him in test cricket, not some rubbish domestic tournament where blokes bowl balls which bounce twice on featherbeds before they get to the batsman, or where "quick"* bowlers get three overs before there's three days of spin used.

Fmd that's not cricket, it's a sad joke. Thank Christ it's not played like that everywhere. The game would be dead.

This thread started with a shot at the fast bowler with the most wickets in test history (despite bowling in an era of flat wickets) in an attempt to big up a novice top order batsman who's played a handful of tests (the majority of them at home) but who looks the goods. It's one of the worst comparisons I've ever read in any field of endeavour in my 44 years on this earth. The equivalent would be me starting a thread comparing David Warner to Sir Alex Ferguson.

In other words, it would be ****ing ridiculous.

*125kph

flibbertyjibber

I like Pujara and think he could be the next great but to try and compare him to one of the best bowlers of the last 20 years is bizarre. At least pick somebody who does the same thing as him.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Look, I don't know what Hussey's domestic average is because I really don't give a ****. I don't even know why Hussey's name was brought into the discussion tbh. But let's get fair dinkum here, Indian FC cricket is widely regarded as a bit of a giggle isn't it? And has been for donkey's years.

I don't care what Pujara averages in Indian FC cricket either, fwiw. I don't care because I think he's a very good player who will hopefully have a long and successful career. I've gathered that from watching him in test cricket, not some rubbish domestic tournament where blokes bowl balls which bounce twice on featherbeds before they get to the batsman, or where "quick"* bowlers get three overs before there's three days of spin used.

Fmd that's not cricket, it's a sad joke. Thank Christ it's not played like that everywhere. The game would be dead.

This thread started with a shot at the fast bowler with the most wickets in test history (despite bowling in an era of flat wickets) in an attempt to big up a novice top order batsman who's played a handful of tests (the majority of them at home) but who looks the goods. It's one of the worst comparisons I've ever read in any field of endeavour in my 44 years on this earth. The equivalent would be me starting a thread comparing David Warner to Sir Alex Ferguson.

*125kph
1. Hussey's name was brought in because I think more than Adam's his career would be appropriate considering he too had an unbelievable start to his test career and petered out (or brought to level with his ability).

2. Not sure why you deliberately chose to ignore the fact that not only Pujara has scored in Indian domestic cricket, but also in A tours and in other countries as well.

3. And funny you chose to undermine Indian domestic cricket and state of pitches there when your country just got pummelled 4-0 in a tour there. Not able to digest that test cricket is not just about fast bowling? It requires skill to bowl spin and to face it as well on pitches conducive to it.

4. And funny you chose to denigrate Indian pacemen and generalize them to being 125 kmph trundlers yet laud McGrath as "fast" bowler when he was bowling pretty much at similar speeds (yeah ****ing 125 kmph) from around middle of his career.

Daemon

I know you're ****ing with SS but I really hope you don't think that. There are some really lively pitches around that fast bowlers would love, we just never see them used in Test cricket because that would completely **** India over.

Burgey

Of course I'm winding him up. How could you take him seriously.

McGrath bowled 125kph from the middle of his career now. You really couldn't script this level of excrement.

Maybe that's the pace Pujara bowls at in the nets and hence why there's apparently such a similarity between the two of them.

Burgey

Next on Cricketweb.net:

Mitchell Starc could be the fast bowling Tendulkar. Discuss*

*then flush.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant

*125kph
and some people have the nerve to criticise indian fans for being over sensitive about Sachin

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
and some people have the nerve to criticise indian fans for being over sensitive about Sachin
Perhaps the reaction to this thread has more to do with the laughably disingenuous original post - using a really thin premise to begin with (comparing / contrasting a batsman with a bowler) then use the majority of the post to present a position regarding the bowler. Weak.