• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tennis-ball / Tape-ball Cricket

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I have heard about Tennis-ball / Tape-ball Cricket, but I have never watched them.
My friend said to me that he played Tennis-ball Cricket in India and catching ball was more difficult than normal Cricket ball.

Are the "Tennis ball" used in Tennis ball Cricket heavier than normal Tennis ball?
Where I can purchase these balls on the internet?
And how about the Japan-born Baseball gum-ball, alternative to Tennis balls?

uvelocity

International Coach
in tennis ball / tape ball cricket the overs are 8 balls

if a batsman doesnt score off the over, he is out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We used to play this at school, but we used to get a syringe and fill the ball with water as well so it bounced madly as well as the tape making it swing like mad.

91Jmay

International Coach
I thought Tennis ball cricket was that if you played and missed or left a hittable ball you were out?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Few varieties. Normal 15-20 over with 6 ball overs is one of them. then you have six a side matches where the match is 5 overs long. Buddy cricket is another variety where you have to play everything along the ground. P laying area is about a 30 yard circle. Six hits are out, with 8 players per side with 8 overs.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We used to play this at school, but we used to get a syringe and fill the ball with water as well so it bounced madly as well as the tape making it swing like mad.
I didn't realise you went to Nimbin Primary mate!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
They are not heavier than the normal tennis balls; they are tennis balls.

You just get a normal tennis ball and tape it yourself.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
We have played test matches(1 innings each) with tennis balls on concrete pitches:) The best thing to do on a Sunday when we don't have much time to organize stuff or play a proper cricket match. And unlike normal tennis ball cricket, where batsmen just slog wildly, you would see proper cricket shots and some wonderful field settings to trouble the batsmen, and there are no rules when it comes to field placing in tennis cricket, you can experiment with any kind of field you want + no limit of bouncers which are anyways easy to bowl with the tennis ball.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Used to play with one-bounce + one-hand-catch out rules. It actually took an incredible amount if skill, because the tape balk would swing like mad and you had to play with extremely off hands yo make it drop atleast twice before a fielder got to it/ or hit out hard enough for it to reach the rope. And if the spinner came on it became even harder with close in fielders. Had to jam the ball down because of a rule which favoured fielders so heavily

Last edited:

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
They are not heavier than the normal tennis balls; they are tennis balls.

You just get a normal tennis ball and tape it yourself.
Oh, thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.
My friend who played Tennis-ball Cricket said; "catching a ball is more difficult than normal Cricket".
If normal Tennis balls are used, how about the Japan-born Baseball gum-ball, alternative to Tennis balls?
Japan-born Baseball gum-balls are available from Amazon.co.jp by "軟式" "ボール".

Amazon.co.jpF UNIX(ƒ†ƒjƒbƒNƒX) “ƒXƒ^ƒ“ƒ_[ƒhƒ^ƒCƒvA†ƒTƒCƒY(2ŒÂ“ü‚è) PL71-57: ƒXƒ|[ƒc&ƒAƒEƒgƒhƒA

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
The number of variations of tape/tennis ball cricket are immense.

As far as the ball itself is concerned,the one used for Tennis Ball Cricket in Pakistan is a normal Tennis Ball,and thus much lighter than a Cricket Ball.Taping it adds more speed and zip to the ball,whereas playing with a non-taped ball adds much more bounce but kills the speed significantly.Personally,i always thought catching it was easier than catching a Cricket Ball,primarily because the ball wasn't as hard and generally made fielding easier.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
At school we used to play tape ball cricket sometimes on the basketball courts. Ball would just skid so fast off the surface. Would also often use the tape to create a seam. Definitely easier to catch and safer but also quicker than a hard ball especially on the hard courts.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Last edited:

Daemon

They play with those in the streets in India. I've told you before I think. It's very hard to play against them because bowlers can get a ****load of bounce.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I am still thinking that Japan-born gum-ball for amateur Baseball is very appropriate for Cricket.
You can easily purchase them from Amazon.co.jp
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-l...KZW/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP
Could anyone try them? I am very interested in Cricketers' opinion about this ball.
Tried them, they're pretty good. I've talked my local cricket association into replacing taped tennis balls with these as a trial next season in everything but A-grade backyard matches. The results will be interesting, and let's just say it's caused some controversy…