• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never.

The **** was on absolute fire early in our innings. Unplayable. We did make our own luck but credit needs to be given to him as well, there were some real close ones.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously?? Are you both saying Philander will finish his career with a sub 20 average??

Wow, that's a ****ing big call. Not many have achieved that (more than 50 wickets) and certainly not many that have played more than 20 tests.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously?? Are you both saying Philander will finish his career with a sub 20 average??

Wow, that's a ****ing big call. Not many have achieved that (more than 50 wickets) and certainly not many that have played more than 20 tests.
I think he might tbh. Not because I think he's the greatest bowler ever, but he's already 28 and has entered the national team at his absolute peak. If and when the decline does come, I think he'll retire not too long after, without his average being affected that much. It's not impossible he ends with 18-19.

Plua, hrs a massive ****. Wouldn't surprise me if he retires to protect that average :ph34r:

centurymaker

International Captain
I think he might tbh. Not because I think he's the greatest bowler ever, but he's already 28 and has entered the national team at his absolute peak. If and when the decline does come, I think he'll retire not too long after, without his average being affected that much. It's not impossible he ends with 18-19.

Plua, hrs a massive ****. Wouldn't surprise me if he retires to protect that average :ph34r:
Good points.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No way will he keep it below 20, and I am a massive massive fan of his.

Reckon whenever South Africatour India next it'll take a hit, even if he bowls well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Reckon whenever South Africatour India next it'll take a hit, even if he bowls well.
Having said that I couldn't resist voting the "when Pujara averages less than 60 i.e. never" option lol

Flem274*

123/5
the longer he keeps this ridiculousness up the harder it will be to move. how many home series does he have coming up?

Jassy

Banned
Hope the Australia series in Feb gets it close to 20. India and Sri Lanka can take over from there. I dislike the guy and I am not sure he is the next McGrath. Can't argue against a record like that though, just hope he gets smashed. Total **** he is, walks and talks like he's the best thing ever. We'll see how much he mouths off when he is up against Cook/Pietersen at Lords or Warner/Clarke at Adelaide or Kohli/Pujara at Mumbai.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Well last time he faced Cook at Lord's he got a match-winning five-for, getting Cook out in the process. The guy is class.

centurymaker

International Captain
Even when he fails, he has a habit of picking up 2 or so wickets towards the end of an innings to keep is average low.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I don't think it's that massive a call, honestly.

He's the best bowler for South African conditions in the world. I would take him ahead of Steyn in South Africa without too much hesitation, and he's going to play half his matches there - possibly more. He's already taken 102 wickets at less than 18 and he's 28 years old. If he takes his next 50 wickets @ 24.9 then he'll still average < 20 after that, and I fully expect him to average < 20 in the matches he plays in South Africa over that period so we're looking at at 30+ average overseas for his next 50 wickets or so to get it up there by then. Given how he's prone to being a bit under-rated and also prone to letting himself get out of condition, not to mention generally poor attitude across his earlier career, I don't think it'll take too many games of him looking pedestrian for the selectors in their infinite wisdom to drop him for a 6ft6 bloke who bowls at 145km/h once the decline comes.

If I were a betting man (lol) I'd be backing very low 20s, but him finishing with a career average below 20 is in no way out of the question. Him playing on into his mid 30s and taking 300 wickets at < 20 would definitely surprise me but him ending his career at that mark wouldn't really at all.