• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The worst thing about the Philander hate is around 2003-06 everyone was lamenting how **** the bowling was in world cricket. We get a bowler who dominates for a while to the extent his stats are crazy and we want him to fail.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but Jono don't pretend that him overperforming is the only reason people want him to fail. He's a wanker.
Its not "wanting him to fail", its more deriding his achievements. That's the difference I think.

Agree he's not a likeable chap.

Also the phrase "don't pretend" is **** in this context. Not defending Philander or pretending anything. But bagging Philander's record is like the people who bagged Yousuf's 2006 because his runs were on flat tracks, like no other batsman has batted on flat tracks but failed to break Viv's record before.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also comes off as a douche in his interviews. After Pujara and Kohli spanked them all over Capetown, he was all "meh flat pitch. They left the ball well, but whatever"

OverratedSanity

But bagging Philander's record is like the people who bagged Yousuf's 2006 because his runs were on flat tracks, like no other batsman has batted on flat tracks but failed to break Viv's record before.
I've found that pretty weird though because yousuf's 2006 run had a couple of outstanding innings on difficult pitches as well, and one particular knock on a greentop in SA that is criminally underrated. Was a stunning knock but people never talk about it. I was amazed at how good that innings was when I watched it live.

Edit: Wait I was wrong, the innings in SA was in January of 07, but the point stands.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I've found that pretty weird though because yousuf's 2006 run had a couple of outstanding innings on difficult pitches as well, and one particular knock on a greentop in SA that is criminally underrated. Was a stunning knock but people never talk about it. I was amazed at how good that innings was when I watched it live.

Edit: Wait I was wrong, the innings in SA was in January of 07, but the point stands.
I remember that, it was still part of the same purple patch.

But see here is the frustrating thing with Yousuf. He was not really able to continue that form onto the South Africa series when Pakistan needed it more than ever.. How badly did Pak need a century from him in that series.and Pakistan would have won their first ever series in South Africa.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I remember that, it was still part of the same purple patch.

But see here is the frustrating thing with Yousuf. He was not really able to continue that form onto the South Africa series when Pakistan needed it more than ever. Look at the third test from the same series. How badly did Pak need a century from him in that game..and Pakistan would have won their first ever series in South Africa.
That third match is the match I'm talking about. Yousuf scored 70-odd with his partners contributing ****all on a pitch where all 4 innings were around 150. If Pakistan had won that game, it'd be called an ATG series winning knock. But they lost and it languishes as a forgotten gem. He really couldn't have done much more in that deciding test.

It's funny because it's the exact opposite of what Yousuf was accused of doing in 2006. He failed on the two easier tracks but produced a top innings on the most difficult pitch in the series.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah just corrected that. It totally would have been an ATG knock had they won, but as it stands, he averages 29 in SA with no centuries.
I remember being really really upset with all three YK, MOYO and Inzy in that series, because not one of them got a hundred in a series when Asif bowled spectacularly, Kaneria was good, Akhtar came and won us a game in a spell..if only the middle order performed the way say Kohli and Rahane performed in SA in 2013 or Tendulkar did in SA in 2010, we would have won that series.

cnerd123

likes this
I thought Moyo's run was understated mainly because Pakistan were losing, and not necessarily because of the FTB bully rep. His innings were of no consequence, and so people wrote them off.

Top_Cat

Its not "wanting him to fail", its more deriding his achievements. That's the difference I think.

Agree he's not a likeable chap.

Also the phrase "don't pretend" is **** in this context. Not defending Philander or pretending anything. But bagging Philander's record is like the people who bagged Yousuf's 2006 because his runs were on flat tracks, like no other batsman has batted on flat tracks but failed to break Viv's record before.
Yeah but no matter what the conditions, Yousef still had to score those runs. Without wishing to deride his wicket-taking too much, Philander was, in my view, very poorly played early on. I personally don't think he's bowling much worse now but the bats seem to be giving him some respect and his wickets have dried up, something that happens with most swing bowlers. How he responds will be how he's regarded even if his average stays sub-25 before he retires.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Literally no one believed he was going to be a 15 average bowler. I don't get the obsession with pointing that out, it reaked of tall poppy syndrome.

And much of the Sky box, Atherton mainly, kept having a go at Philander's bowling style. Holding was being an epic dick about it too.

Bloke can bowl. He's not the next Malcolm Marshall, oh well.
Haha, yeah, he shouldn't have been opening the bowling because he wasn't really quick.