• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hmm... Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Dilshan, Sanga, Mahela...
Twice in 4 matches at fag end of career.
3 times in 7 matches.
Once in 4 matches.
Twice in 2 matches but doesn't belong in this company.
Twice in 4 matches.
Never in 4 matches.

That defence is as good as Chris Martin's.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
So Philander even after his "decline" still has a much better overall career average than Jimmy "the best swing bowler in the world" Anderson managed at his peak? Sounds right to me.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's happened to Philander? Since the beginning of 2014 he has played 11 Tests, the same as Steyn and Morkel, and has 18 wickets at 46.16. Career average still low 22.13.
Adelaide, when he saw the pitch and decided to call a sickie/asked someone to knee him in the back since he just knew he would get anally devastated on such a pitch.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
never get why England fans deride him so much. They did it in 2012 and ate humble pie when he owned England in the third test. Weird.
Na that call is BS, it was just me not the rest of the England fans. The rest just called it that his average was way lower than it will end up and at present it looks like they are correct. He may well never get above 25 though as if it carries on on that scale he may get dropped before it gets that far.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Twice in 4 matches at fag end of career.
3 times in 7 matches.
Once in 4 matches.
Twice in 2 matches but doesn't belong in this company.
Twice in 4 matches.
Never in 4 matches.

That defence is as good as Chris Martin's.
So how many times would he have to get them out (in as many matches) in order for it to be a Dravid defence?

You know how many times Wasim has dismissed Tendulkar? Once in 7 games
You know how many times Warne has dismissed Tendulkar? 3 times in 12 games

Your attempt to break it down to number of dismissals to hide the fact that he has 5 wicket hauls against Australia and Sri Lanka is the single most ridiculous attempt to make an argument I have seen on CW.

And please stop using this nonsensical 'fag end of career' defence. You play the opponents you get. What is he supposed to say? "Oh sorry Ponting, I refuse to bowl to you because you're an old hag now?" And the 'fag end of career' didn't seem to bother him when he was taking the Ishants, Zaheers and Ashwins to the cleaners.

As for Dilshan not belonging in this company, that's is not the point. The point is does he belong in the 'joke batsman' category? The answer is No.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
never get why England fans deride him so much. They did it in 2012 and ate humble pie when he owned England in the third test. Weird.
I'm deriding Australia and New Zealand with that comment. Philander's bowling in England was normal, took his wickets at 20-odd. His h4x start was against Australia and New Zealand at home.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Na that call is BS, it was just me not the rest of the England fans. The rest just called it that his average was way lower than it will end up and at present it looks like they are correct. He may well never get above 25 though as if it carries on on that scale he may get dropped before it gets that far.
Literally no one believed he was going to be a 15 average bowler. I don't get the obsession with pointing that out, it reaked of tall poppy syndrome.

And much of the Sky box, Atherton mainly, kept having a go at Philander's bowling style. Holding was being an epic dick about it too.

Bloke can bowl. He's not the next Malcolm Marshall, oh well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm deriding Australia and New Zealand with that comment. Philander's bowling in England was normal, took his wickets at 20-odd. His h4x start was against Australia and New Zealand at home.
Australia chased down 300 in the 4th dig against him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jimmy probably played international cricket, esp. tests, when he was still not at his best but Philander managed to get that time away in FC cricket due to the bowling stocks of RSA. Big deal. Guy is a quality international bowler who can win matches when given conditions that suit him and does a job when they do not. Give him due credit, FFS.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TBH I've fallen into the tall poppy syndrome trap too. When Hussey was going unbelievably epic too I wanted him to start failing so that his average became more normal. When Punter was averaging 60 and being called by the Aus media undoubtedly Australia's 2nd best bat ever I started to want him to fail a bit. When Yousuf was scoring a ton every match in 2006 I wanted him to not break Viv's calendar year run scoring record simply because he wasn't Viv.

In hindsight I should have appreciated their unbelievable achievements and runs of form more at the time.

Same was happening when Philander when he averaged 15 or whatever and it annoyed people because he wasn't a 15 average bowler. Holding was just an absolute tool about it.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it has more to do with the fact that stats and averages are accessible by one and all within a few seconds we are obsessing over them and checking them every day. I am sure there were plenty of players in previous decades who had ridiculously good averages for a while but then dropped to more normal levels in the long run.

So yes, like you I have also wanted those players to start having an average reflecting their true skills/talent however now it's easy to see that just give it some time, in the long run things will fall in place.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
TBH I've fallen into the tall poppy syndrome trap too. When Hussey was going unbelievably epic too I wanted him to start failing so that his average became more normal. When Punter was averaging 60 and being called by the SMH undoubtedly Australia's 2nd best bat ever I started to want him to fail a bit. When Yousuf was scoring a ton ever match in 2006 I wanted him to not break Viv's calendar year run scoring record simply because he wasn't Viv.

In hindsight I should have appreciated their unbelievable achievements and runs of form more at the time.

Same was happening when Philander when he averaged 15 or whatever and it annoyed people because he wasn't a 15 average bowler. Holding was just an absolute tool about it.
Holding can be such a little bitch when a player who doesn't fit his big fast bowler archetype does well. Doesn't really like Boult either.