• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there anywhere that differentiates the two for you?
Yes.

What you may not realise about South African cricket is that there are two divisions that get FC stats. Most of the bowlers with really good figures are either boosted or purely from second division dominance.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Philander average is now > 20, wether it stays that way only time will tell. I guess that answers the question.

Also of note

1. Philander's bowling average against Australia is > 30
  2. Philander's bowling average in Australia is currently 49 (Brisbane & Perth tests).
    I have included this Stat for those that think Australian wickets (Perth and Brisbane in particular) ar super fast bowler friendly

Philander's stats summary

Slifer

International Captain
Philander average is now > 20, wether it stays that way only time will tell. I guess that answers the question.

Also of note

1. Philander's bowling average against Australia is > 30
  2. Philander's bowling average in Australia is currently 49 (Brisbane & Perth tests).
    I have included this Stat for those that think Australian wickets (Perth and Brisbane in particular) ar super fast bowler friendly

Philander's stats summary

IMO that just shows that like every other pace man, Australia might be his bogey team. I say might because the sample size is way too small and his career is still in it's infancy. Even if he does end up with a less than stellar record vs OZ, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Plenty of past greats can count Oz as their worst team (ex Donald, Waqar, Walsh, Shaun Pollock etc). Why this is, is because Australians have historically been the best players of pace and bowling in Australia (not the Subcon) is the real true test for fast bowlers.

FBU

International Debutant
What's happened to Philander? Since the beginning of 2014 he has played 11 Tests, the same as Steyn and Morkel, and has 18 wickets at 46.16. Career average still low 22.13.

test cricketer

If i recall correctly, de **** had an average of about 50, but he hadnt played too much franchise cricket, so his average flattered him a bit and i guess you could say the same, for alot of domestic bowlers, with good records.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What's happened to Philander? Since the beginning of 2014 he has played 11 Tests, the same as Steyn and Morkel, and has 18 wickets at 46.16. Career average still low 22.13.
People have just worked him out and he hasn't quite managed to upgrade his skills yet. He still has time though.

No longer bowling at joke batting lineups in friendly home conditions.
Hmm... Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Dilshan, Sanga, Mahela...

wow I guess Bradman and Sobers are just about okay batsmen then.

Last edited:

test cricketer

I reckon were going to see a different philander in the india series. Read an article were he said he's been looking to add 5-7 kmh, and ive seen him get reverse swing, also he now has alot of experience of bowling on flat decks, so he should have learnt a thing or two, and as a couple have said he bowled decently in srilanka and bangladesh