• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Based on what i have seen so far vern feasts on batsmen who are not sure where their offstump is.T20 cricket means that people start playing balls they should be leaving and that will ensure he will stay in business for a long time.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Should Philander be regarded as an all-rounder? 4 fifties in 30 test innings. Not bad for a number 8/9.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Big Vern comes across as a bit soft don't you think, bowling a measly 6 overs in the 2nd innings of the deciding test match is very weak. He should have been leading the attack after Steyn was injured, not cowering behind a rookie like Abbott.

I'm predicting he will finish with about 170 wkts and average 24ish before getting dumped for an up and comer. That's a projection of 58 more wickets at just over 34 for the rest of his career. Davey Warner has taken big Verns soul.

Flem274*

123/5
lol

that's not going to happen

he's not going to suddenly become terrible guys. he's actually a good bowler. probably not 18-19 good, but he isn't suddenly going to drop off the map no matter how much you hate on him.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Big Vern comes across as a bit soft don't you think, bowling a measly 6 overs in the 2nd innings of the deciding test match is very weak. He should have been leading the attack after Steyn was injured, not cowering behind a rookie like Abbott.

I'm predicting he will finish with about 170 wkts and average 24ish before getting dumped for an up and comer. That's a projection of 58 more wickets at just over 34 for the rest of his career. Davey Warner has taken big Verns soul.

Nah, Australia made plans against him and they came off. I remember the NZ-Aus series 01/02 when we handled McGrath and Warne pretty easily (think both averaged 60+), but were they finished? No, they came back better than ever. It will be the same with Vern. He might be the no 4 paceman in the world now rather than 1 or 2, but he's the real deal and will play test cricket longer than Steyn, Johnson and Harris (and probably finish with the best stats of the quartet).

Jassy

Banned
No doubting his capabilities with the ball, it speaks volumes of how well he's done when it's a big talking point that his average has touched twenty!. Anderson, Zaheer, Broad are (were in Zaheer's case) are considered good and they average 30! However, as others have pointed out, the average probably flatters him a bit. If there's one complaint I have against him it's that he seems to be pampered a lot. Smith always seems to turn to Morkel, Steyn (and Abbot in the last match) when there is dirty work to be done and when the going gets tough. That's probably good strategy more than anything else because Philander is not as effective with the old ball as he is with the new ball but still...I suspect that if he had been part of an attack like say, India's or Sri Lanka's, his stats perhaps would be worse (not Ishant Sharma type worse but maybe three-four points or so more than he does now). Pure conjecture though, gun bowler. Waiting to see how he goes in India and Sri Lanka.

On a related note, how underrated is Harris? Averages just a couple of points more than Philander and IIRC he was gun in Australia's win in SL 2-3 years back.

Last edited:

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
lol

that's not going to happen

he's not going to suddenly become terrible guys. he's actually a good bowler. probably not 18-19 good, but he isn't suddenly going to drop off the map no matter how much you hate on him.
What's he worth than 18-19 over 70 tests would probably make him the greatest of all time. That simply wont happen he's not near that good, he isn't even close to Steyn who averages 23, if you got a list of the best 23 test periods of every bowlers careers i'm sure there would be a few bowlers averaging sub 20 (or better than Philander). 34 isn't really that terrible to be honest, he could still have a few decent series and average that for the rest of his career. His trundling is going to get lit up in Asia. He's been feasting on weak kiwi batting too long, his honeymoon is over.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's he worth than 18-19 over 70 tests would probably make him the greatest of all time. That simply wont happen he's not near that good, he isn't even close to Steyn who averages 23, if you got a list of the best 23 test periods of every bowlers careers i'm sure there would be a few bowlers averaging sub 20 (or better than Philander). 34 isn't really that terrible to be honest, he could still have a few decent series and average that for the rest of his career. His trundling is going to get lit up in Asia. He's been feasting on weak kiwi batting too long, his honeymoon is over.
The cringe in this post is incredible. Don't know whether to start, really - should I go after the "someone isn't actually good enough to average <20 ---> averages 35!" (and 35 is bloody awful ftr) or the "oh, he might get smashed in Asia which nullifies EVERYTHING" or the "oh he's only performed against bad batting lineups"?

Look, he's probably not as good as Steyn. He's probably not as good as Harris either. But the bloke is peerless in modern cricket in his ability to make the batsman play the damn ball, which coupled with even the slightest bit of assistance in the pitch makes him a constant threat if not the wrecking ball that his new-ball partner is. And that's fine, Steyn might well be in the top five bowlers of all time and to say that "not as good as Steyn" automatically implies that he'll be awful from now on is rank stupid.