• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn is freakishly fit. Philander, to put it lightly, isn't
hehe

Has everything to do with it. Sure, some injuries are just unavoidable sometimes but fit bowlers don't get injured too often
Absolutely and helps with recovery from injury too.

We're not just talk an/aerobic fitness, we're talking physical fitness too. Putting your body under physical stress girds it against even bone-related injuries. Guys like Zaheer, you can tell don't put as much work in as others. Recurring string pulls generally = unfit ****.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
IMO, body frame and action are the leading culprits with wear and tear on ankles, knees and back. Even if Vern is slightly overweight, he is expending less energy than someone like Steyn due to his pace. Both have good repeatable actions and slight build though and have been relatively injury free throughout their careers.

SeamUp

International Coach
7th South African to top the ICC rankings. If not for isolation, could have been a few more with the likes of Procter, Le Roux and van der Bijl around.

The previous Saffers to do so were Faulkner, Tayfield, P. Pollock, Donald, S. Pollock & Steyn.

Surprised Adcock never topped the rankings. Was it Bedser who didn't allow him to ?

On Phialnder, when he was a kid, everyone was talking about him. He was thrown into our domestic 4-day final when only 18 and big things were expected to come. But it took so long to come to fruition, no doubt the talent has always been there and he knew he had it but it took while for the world to take note. Well done Vern.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it does, where injuries are concerned anyway. Or is Zaheer Khan just unlucky?
Few bowlers were as fit as whispering death and yet few were injured quite as much. Lillee and Bishop are also examples that sometimes **** just happens.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised by some of the hate in this thread. Din't know Philander to be arrogant, but then again which great fast bowlers weren't. Hope he keeps it up as long as he can. Great start to his career regardless.

Quick question though, why does his great start seem to get more attention that Pujara's though? One can say both are equally impressive.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Few bowlers were as fit as whispering death and yet few were injured quite as much. Lillee and Bishop are also examples that sometimes **** just happens.
Not all injuries are equal, though. Broken backs or blown knees are obviously not indicative of much other than bad luck but if a bloke keeps pulling hammies, you gotta wonder about time they're putting in on the track.

Flem274*

123/5
Bond believes it's when you start being extemely fit too. All very well being superman when you're 28, but if you cbf like he was at 18 and don't put the work in then future you hates 18 year old you.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hey nerds, how long would he have to average like 25 for, for it to happen?
About 50 wickets, give or take, as below:

I don't think it's that massive a call, honestly.

He's the best bowler for South African conditions in the world. I would take him ahead of Steyn in South Africa without too much hesitation, and he's going to play half his matches there - possibly more. He's already taken 102 wickets at less than 18 and he's 28 years old. If he takes his next 50 wickets @ 24.9 then he'll still average < 20 after that, and I fully expect him to average < 20 in the matches he plays in South Africa over that period so we're looking at at 30+ average overseas for his next 50 wickets or so to get it up there by then. Given how he's prone to being a bit under-rated and also prone to letting himself get out of condition, not to mention generally poor attitude across his earlier career, I don't think it'll take too many games of him looking pedestrian for the selectors in their infinite wisdom to drop him for a 6ft6 bloke who bowls at 145km/h once the decline comes.

If I were a betting man (lol) I'd be backing very low 20s, but him finishing with a career average below 20 is in no way out of the question. Him playing on into his mid 30s and taking 300 wickets at < 20 would definitely surprise me but him ending his career at that mark wouldn't really at all.