• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Flametree

International 12th Man
Will be interesting to see how long his career lasts. He gets just enough zip to make his method work, so I imagine if he lost a yard of pace he'd get absolutely collared. Similar to Ryan Harris in that regard.

FWIW I hope he does end up averaging in the 18's - would be great to watch a career like that, something that hasn't happened for a century or more. Likewise I hope Pujara manages to go one better than Jimmy Adams and Michael Hussey and keep going at 65+.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Don't see how people can get pissed off by his "arrogance" and then love Steyn tbh.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see how people can get pissed off by his "arrogance" and then love Steyn tbh.
Yeah, this. From what I have seen Philander conducts himself better than many other fast bowlers around the world on the field. I did not see the particular interview that everyone seems to dislike, but whatever he supposedly said in that interview is nothing that makes him a bigger **** than so many others. Just my impressions anyways. I tend to support players who get hate for no good reason :)

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interesting to see how long his career lasts. He gets just enough zip to make his method work, so I imagine if he lost a yard of pace he'd get absolutely collared. Similar to Ryan Harris in that regard.

FWIW I hope he does end up averaging in the 18's - would be great to watch a career like that, something that hasn't happened for a century or more. Likewise I hope Pujara manages to go one better than Jimmy Adams and Michael Hussey and keep going at 65+.
Nah Ryan Harris is just quick tbh.

Riggins

International Captain
I feel like he's a wicked bowler, and has basically all the tricks. But I don't see how he can keep averaging sub 20's in test cricket, and I don't really understand how people think he could unless he has an unfortunately short career.

FBU

International Debutant
Steyn has been No 1 in the ICC rankings for about 4 years and now has been replaced by Philander.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain

A good example of this is Stuart Clark. Absolutely dominated for a time and then lost a bit of nip and all of a sudden he was struggling.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, would argue it was a combination of circumstances more than what he was sending down. Was still being picked as a bowling all-rounder by SA for most of his time here so, because he wasn't scoring many runs and coupled with his injury history, was barely picked despite doing the business at grade and Second XI level (just checked; 12 FC matches in his first 6 years with SA).