• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will Philander average > 20?

When will Philander average >20?

• Total voters

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Comes across as an arrogant mouthy **** sometimes, mind you with that record I suppose arrogance comes easily to some people. Every time I see a SA test scorecard I pray that he'll be getting a caning to bring that average up but he's always in the wickets, just goes to show that line and length wins every time.

Jassy

Banned
Well last time he faced Cook at Lord's he got a match-winning five-for, getting Cook out in the process. The guy is class.
I am aware of that and I agree that the guy has an awesome record. As I said, you cannot argue against an average of 18.

Comes across as an arrogant mouthy **** sometimes, mind you with that record I suppose arrogance comes easily to some people. Every time I see a SA test scorecard I pray that he'll be getting a caning to bring that average up but he's always in the wickets, just goes to show that line and length wins every time.
Yeah this, willing to bet it'll have crossed 20 by this time next year (which in itself is ridiculous!).

Flem274*

123/5
I love how much rage this fat little medium pacer inspires. He's a **** but I don't have to deal with him so I hope he keeps it up.

ajdude

International Coach
i don't get why he's hated and seen as a ****. he has some ATG cricinfo profile pictures ffs

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's safe to say Philander will end with an average of >20 on the basis of this match. The guy has serious ability with the bat

Slifer

International Captain
Even if Philander gets smashed a bit in the likes of SL and India (or even Oz) that will all even out with 2 or 3 (or more) test series vs the lightweights like WI, NZ, ZIM and BAng (esp at home). And at home I see remaining deadly against all opposition. So I wouldn't be the lest bit surprised if he kept his average under 20...excellent bowler he is!!!

subshakerz

International Coach
A world class fast bowler should be cherished by all true fans of cricket nowadays. Verne is the true reason why SA transformed from a very good team to definite no1.

Top_Cat

Honestly, he's obviously a very good bowler but nowhere near as good as a sub-20 average suggests. You can only play the guys in front of you, etc. but there should be some major caveats associated with any analysis involving him when comparing to any all-time great quicks.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Honestly, he's obviously a very good bowler but nowhere near as good as a sub-20 average suggests. You can only play the guys in front of you, etc. but there should be some major caveats associated with any analysis involving him when comparing to any all-time great quicks.
Pretty easy caveat - time/amount of tests.

However if he keeps doing this and has a reasonably long career haters can hate but there are no caveats. He just delivered consistently in his time.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, if his record is what it currently is both home and away aftersay 50-60 tests, he's an ATG. No question about it. There isn't anything people who really really want his average to go up just because they like McGrath or Ambrose or Marshall better can say. They'll just have to suck eggs.

Top_Cat

Whatever. He's not a sub-20 bowler and his average will be closer to 25 by the end of his career, I think. Would still very good numbers, of course, but not all-time great which is where I think he'll place.

Top_Cat

Nah, if his record is what it currently is both home and away aftersay 50-60 tests, he's an ATG. No question about it. There isn't anything people who really really want his average to go up just because they like McGrath or Ambrose or Marshall better can say. They'll just have to suck eggs.
It won't be. He averages 14 in SA. No way that's going anywhere else but up, I don't care how friendly it is to quick bowling.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand the hate Philander is receiving. He is going to be my favourite cricketer just as a reaction to this hate.

OverratedSanity

I don't understand the hate Philander is receiving. He is going to be my favourite cricketer just as a reaction to this hate.
It's not really hate though. It's bitterness that SA have such an amazing cricketer, coupled with the fact that Vern is a bit of an arrogant ****. Most people would give an arm and leg to have him in their side