View Poll Results: When will Philander average >20?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • When Pujara and Kohli are finished with him

3 15.00%
  • 2015-16

7 35.00%
  • Before India's next tour to SA

2 10.00%
  • When Pujara averages <60 (ie) Never

8 40.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: When will Philander average > 20?

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    His bowling average is absurd. It cannot last.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

U19 Cricketer
    Hope the Australia series in Feb gets it close to 20. India and Sri Lanka can take over from there. I dislike the guy and I am not sure he is the next McGrath. Can't argue against a record like that though, just hope he gets smashed. Total **** he is, walks and talks like he's the best thing ever. We'll see how much he mouths off when he is up against Cook/Pietersen at Lords or Warner/Clarke at Adelaide or Kohli/Pujara at Mumbai.
    Agent Nationaux likes this.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Well last time he faced Cook at Lord's he got a match-winning five-for, getting Cook out in the process. The guy is class.
    NickDB likes this.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Even when he fails, he has a habit of picking up 2 or so wickets towards the end of an innings to keep is average low.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    No way will he keep it below 20, and I am a massive massive fan of his.

Reckon whenever South Africatour India next it'll take a hit, even if he bowls well.
    I don't think it's that massive a call, honestly.

He's the best bowler for South African conditions in the world. I would take him ahead of Steyn in South Africa without too much hesitation, and he's going to play half his matches there - possibly more. He's already taken 102 wickets at less than 18 and he's 28 years old. If he takes his next 50 wickets @ 24.9 then he'll still average < 20 after that, and I fully expect him to average < 20 in the matches he plays in South Africa over that period so we're looking at at 30+ average overseas for his next 50 wickets or so to get it up there by then. Given how he's prone to being a bit under-rated and also prone to letting himself get out of condition, not to mention generally poor attitude across his earlier career, I don't think it'll take too many games of him looking pedestrian for the selectors in their infinite wisdom to drop him for a 6ft6 bloke who bowls at 145km/h once the decline comes.

If I were a betting man (lol) I'd be backing very low 20s, but him finishing with a career average below 20 is in no way out of the question. Him playing on into his mid 30s and taking 300 wickets at < 20 would definitely surprise me but him ending his career at that mark wouldn't really at all.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

U19 Vice-Captain
    Comes across as an arrogant mouthy **** sometimes, mind you with that record I suppose arrogance comes easily to some people. Every time I see a SA test scorecard I pray that he'll be getting a caning to bring that average up but he's always in the wickets, just goes to show that line and length wins every time.
    Agent Nationaux likes this.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Well last time he faced Cook at Lord's he got a match-winning five-for, getting Cook out in the process. The guy is class.
    I am aware of that and I agree that the guy has an awesome record. As I said, you cannot argue against an average of 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Expressway76 View Post
    Comes across as an arrogant mouthy **** sometimes, mind you with that record I suppose arrogance comes easily to some people. Every time I see a SA test scorecard I pray that he'll be getting a caning to bring that average up but he's always in the wickets, just goes to show that line and length wins every time.
    Yeah this, willing to bet it'll have crossed 20 by this time next year (which in itself is ridiculous!).

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I love how much rage this fat little medium pacer inspires. He's a **** but I don't have to deal with him so I hope he keeps it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I hate him as well and hope he gets smashed in India.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

i don't get why he's hated and seen as a ****. he has some ATG cricinfo profile pictures ffs

Jono likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I think it's safe to say Philander will end with an average of >20 on the basis of this match. The guy has serious ability with the bat
    Daemon, Garson007, ankitj and 2 others like this.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Even if Philander gets smashed a bit in the likes of SL and India (or even Oz) that will all even out with 2 or 3 (or more) test series vs the lightweights like WI, NZ, ZIM and BAng (esp at home). And at home I see remaining deadly against all opposition. So I wouldn't be the lest bit surprised if he kept his average under 20...excellent bowler he is!!!
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I hate him as well and hope he gets smashed in India.
    lol
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Haha lol Philander has pissed off some weak souls.
    BeeGee likes this.

State Vice-Captain
    A world class fast bowler should be cherished by all true fans of cricket nowadays. Verne is the true reason why SA transformed from a very good team to definite no1.
    Slifer, Garson007, BeeGee and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information