• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best performances by an injured player

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
After watching an injured Chris Gayle score a 79-ball century in the 3rd test in SA it surprised me that players so often were able to produce incredible performances despite injury. Shiv Chanderpaul also scored a century in the second test with a runner, and has done well with injuries on other occasions (might be wrong, but i think he had a broken thumb or something similar when he scored a century in the world-record chase in the 4th test v Aus).
Perhaps a more famous example is Steve Waugh's 157* at the Oval in 2001. From a bowling perspective, Malcolm Marshall's 7/53 with his left arm in plaster at Leeds in 1984 is one I have heard much about.

Interested to hear of other such performances by injured players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steve Waugh's immediately comes to mind, that was just a gutsy effort. Tendulkar's absolutely brilliant 98 against Pakistan in the World Cup was also great, I believe he suffered a minor injury in that game which had me worried for a bit. I'm pretty sure it was that game if my memory serves me correct.

I've never seen an innings deserve a 100 like that one did, and yet he fell short thanks to that damn Akhtar :(

Sudeep

International Captain
31st January, 1999

India vs. Pakistan

1st Test Match of the series

Target: 271

India: 82/5

Sachin Tendulkar... on the brink of breakin down due to a severe severe back problem... scores 136... Still India loses, but only by 12 runs.

One of the best innings by an injured man.

Last edited:

Tarsh

Cricket Spectator
Yeah i've gotta go with Steve Waugh's 2001 Oval efforts

Now i'm gotta sit back & try think of some more

Tarsh

Cricket Spectator
Damien Martyn did pretty well in the world cup final considering he had a broken finger that left him out of the game for around 3 months

V Reddy

International Debutant
Although it is not an injury but a disability, Pataudi playing Test cricket with one eye must have been awesome :wow: .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chandrasekhar with a polio-withered arm springs to mind too

<quack> What about Harbhajan and Bedi?

Pardon?

<quack> Always seem to have a head injury

Sikhs wear turbans or patkas

<quack> No, there's more than six.

Sorry about the duck, folks. He's back after his Christmas holidays

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Alan Border scoring a century in the '81 ashes with a busted finger.
Basil D'Oliveria scoring 70 odd in a losing cause in the '76 B&H final v Kent. Can't remember what was wrong with him. Hamstring I think...or a hangover maybe.
Stave Waugh at the Oval takes some beating though.

What about Eddie Paynter during the Bodyline series? Was at death's door apparently...and scored a big ton.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Azhar blasted a century against South Africa in Eden if I remember correctly. He had fever, went to the dressing room. Then came back after a collapse and hit a cool century which was awesome to watch.

Marshal's batting with one hand to get his partner a century also coems to mind.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Dean Jones 210 against India at Chenai in 1986 (the tied test) , batted for a couple of days , heat in the mid 40's , humidity around 95%.

Batted on despite repeatedly vomiting & the onset of cramps all over his body , by the time he got to about 150 he simply couldnt walk anymore , so just stood there & hit fours.

It was revealed afterwards that he'd lost something ridiculous like 20% of his bodyweight while he'd been out there & he spent the next couple of days in hospital on a saline drip before returing for the tense finish.

Mark Waugh had gastro when he made 153* against India at Bangalore in 1998.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jones even urinated in his pants during the innings. Truly a gritty performance. Allan Border kept egging him on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Steve Waugh's immediately comes to mind, that was just a gutsy effort. Tendulkar's absolutely brilliant 98 against Pakistan in the World Cup was also great, I believe he suffered a minor injury in that game which had me worried for a bit. I'm pretty sure it was that game if my memory serves me correct.

I've never seen an innings deserve a 100 like that one did, and yet he fell short thanks to that damn Akhtar :(
And but for that damn Razzaq dropping a simple catch he would have made 47 and no more.
Why people talk-up this innings so much; OK, it was nearly faultless before and after that, but really, what is so special about a nearly faultless 47 and a nearly faultless 51? Not that much, in my eyes. Not something that deserves the constant raving that innings got.
Maybe the size of the target and the name of the opposition has something to do with it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WI v SL in the WC in SA...

Sarwan collapsing after being smacked on the head by a Fernando bouncer. After going to the hospital, he returned and hit 2 fours and a six with the West Indies in big trouble. He ended on 47 not out and almost won the game for us.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Dean Jones 210 against India at Chenai in 1986 (the tied test) , batted for a couple of days , heat in the mid 40's , humidity around 95%.

Batted on despite repeatedly vomiting & the onset of cramps all over his body , by the time he got to about 150 he simply couldnt walk anymore , so just stood there & hit fours.

It was revealed afterwards that he'd lost something ridiculous like 20% of his bodyweight while he'd been out there & he spent the next couple of days in hospital on a saline drip before returing for the tense finish.

Mark Waugh had gastro when he made 153* against India at Bangalore in 1998.
Pratyush said:
Jones even urinated in his pants during the innings. Truly a gritty performance. Allan Border kept egging him on.
People go on about Ranatunga and such, but surely there has never been a more disgraceful act in cricket than Border's taunting of Jones when he asked to retire ill and Border repyling "Fine, I'll get a proper Australian out here, then".
Captains are entitled to expect players to go through the pain barrier once in a while. Not risk their lives. And people can joke about it now, naturally, that Jones survived and suffered no long-term damage. Very few, especially those who weren't around at the time, realise how incredibly dangerous Jones' deeds were.
There are more important things than the current game, and there are more important things than "being 'ard".
You would never, in a million years, catch an Englishman being put through that by his captain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Not many people make a faultless century, mate.
No (though Bradman made a faultless 254 at Lord's in 1930). Of course they don't.
But a chance is more than a fault - it's something that usually causes the termination of the innings, and prohibits the opportunity to score more runs in that innings.
My point has nothing whatsoever to do with faultless play, my point is that that innings is nowhere near as good as everyone seems to think.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember a very impressive innings by the young Botham for Somerset when he got his teeth knocked out and still carried on batting! Unfortunately I cannot remember the game, the opposition or even his score!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
No (though Bradman made a faultless 254 at Lord's in 1930). Of course they don't.
But a chance is more than a fault - it's something that usually causes the termination of the innings, and prohibits the opportunity to score more runs in that innings.
My point has nothing whatsoever to do with faultless play, my point is that that innings is nowhere near as good as everyone seems to think.
It all really concerns weather the chance was a simple one or a real half-chance. You can't just say an innings was crap if the batsman hit the ball so hard the fielder only got a fingertip to the ball. But if it was a dolly then fair enough. But give the guy credit, I've batted when injured more than just a few times and it can be a real distraction and you have to modify your game to fit the impairment by your injury. It's usually stand and deliver and not much running and that can hasten a dismissal, as can playing in a totally alien way to the way the person ususally bats.

Another innings I remember only a few things about is an innings by this guy who hurt his arm and still saved the match for his team batting one handed.