Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best performances by an injured player

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1

Best performances by an injured player

After watching an injured Chris Gayle score a 79-ball century in the 3rd test in SA it surprised me that players so often were able to produce incredible performances despite injury. Shiv Chanderpaul also scored a century in the second test with a runner, and has done well with injuries on other occasions (might be wrong, but i think he had a broken thumb or something similar when he scored a century in the world-record chase in the 4th test v Aus).
    Perhaps a more famous example is Steve Waugh's 157* at the Oval in 2001. From a bowling perspective, Malcolm Marshall's 7/53 with his left arm in plaster at Leeds in 1984 is one I have heard much about.

Interested to hear of other such performances by injured players.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Steve Waugh's immediately comes to mind, that was just a gutsy effort. Tendulkar's absolutely brilliant 98 against Pakistan in the World Cup was also great, I believe he suffered a minor injury in that game which had me worried for a bit. I'm pretty sure it was that game if my memory serves me correct.

I've never seen an innings deserve a 100 like that one did, and yet he fell short thanks to that damn Akhtar
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

31st January, 1999

India vs. Pakistan

1st Test Match of the series

Target: 271

India: 82/5

Sachin Tendulkar... on the brink of breakin down due to a severe severe back problem... scores 136... Still India loses, but only by 12 runs.

One of the best innings by an injured man.
    Last edited by Sudeep; 05-01-2004 at 09:09 AM.

Cricket Spectator
    Yeah i've gotta go with Steve Waugh's 2001 Oval efforts

Now i'm gotta sit back & try think of some more

Cricket Spectator
    Damien Martyn did pretty well in the world cup final considering he had a broken finger that left him out of the game for around 3 months

Although it is not an injury but a disability, Pataudi playing Test cricket with one eye must have been awesome :wow: .

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Chandrasekhar with a polio-withered arm springs to mind too

<quack> What about Harbhajan and Bedi?

Pardon?

<quack> Always seem to have a head injury

Sikhs wear turbans or patkas

<quack> No, there's more than six.

Sorry about the duck, folks. He's back after his Christmas holidays
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Alan Border scoring a century in the '81 ashes with a busted finger.
    Basil D'Oliveria scoring 70 odd in a losing cause in the '76 B&H final v Kent. Can't remember what was wrong with him. Hamstring I think...or a hangover maybe.
    Stave Waugh at the Oval takes some beating though.

What about Eddie Paynter during the Bodyline series? Was at death's door apparently...and scored a big ton.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Azhar blasted a century against South Africa in Eden if I remember correctly. He had fever, went to the dressing room. Then came back after a collapse and hit a cool century which was awesome to watch.

Marshal's batting with one hand to get his partner a century also coems to mind.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Dean Jones 210 against India at Chenai in 1986 (the tied test) , batted for a couple of days , heat in the mid 40's , humidity around 95%.

Batted on despite repeatedly vomiting & the onset of cramps all over his body , by the time he got to about 150 he simply couldnt walk anymore , so just stood there & hit fours.

It was revealed afterwards that he'd lost something ridiculous like 20% of his bodyweight while he'd been out there & he spent the next couple of days in hospital on a saline drip before returing for the tense finish.

Mark Waugh had gastro when he made 153* against India at Bangalore in 1998.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Jones even urinated in his pants during the innings. Truly a gritty performance. Allan Border kept egging him on.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jono
    Steve Waugh's immediately comes to mind, that was just a gutsy effort. Tendulkar's absolutely brilliant 98 against Pakistan in the World Cup was also great, I believe he suffered a minor injury in that game which had me worried for a bit. I'm pretty sure it was that game if my memory serves me correct.

I've never seen an innings deserve a 100 like that one did, and yet he fell short thanks to that damn Akhtar
    And but for that damn Razzaq dropping a simple catch he would have made 47 and no more.
    Why people talk-up this innings so much; OK, it was nearly faultless before and after that, but really, what is so special about a nearly faultless 47 and a nearly faultless 51? Not that much, in my eyes. Not something that deserves the constant raving that innings got.
    Maybe the size of the target and the name of the opposition has something to do with it?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    WI v SL in the WC in SA...

Sarwan collapsing after being smacked on the head by a Fernando bouncer. After going to the hospital, he returned and hit 2 fours and a six with the West Indies in big trouble. He ended on 47 not out and almost won the game for us.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Coach
    Not many people make a faultless century, mate.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by iamdavid
    Dean Jones 210 against India at Chenai in 1986 (the tied test) , batted for a couple of days , heat in the mid 40's , humidity around 95%.

Batted on despite repeatedly vomiting & the onset of cramps all over his body , by the time he got to about 150 he simply couldnt walk anymore , so just stood there & hit fours.

It was revealed afterwards that he'd lost something ridiculous like 20% of his bodyweight while he'd been out there & he spent the next couple of days in hospital on a saline drip before returing for the tense finish.

Mark Waugh had gastro when he made 153* against India at Bangalore in 1998.
    Originally posted by Pratyush
    Jones even urinated in his pants during the innings. Truly a gritty performance. Allan Border kept egging him on.
    People go on about Ranatunga and such, but surely there has never been a more disgraceful act in cricket than Border's taunting of Jones when he asked to retire ill and Border repyling "Fine, I'll get a proper Australian out here, then".
    Captains are entitled to expect players to go through the pain barrier once in a while. Not risk their lives. And people can joke about it now, naturally, that Jones survived and suffered no long-term damage. Very few, especially those who weren't around at the time, realise how incredibly dangerous Jones' deeds were.
    There are more important things than the current game, and there are more important things than "being 'ard".
    You would never, in a million years, catch an Englishman being put through that by his captain.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information