• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Chanderapul be considered an all time great?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Unorthodox stance aside, his statistics are top notch. Couple this with the fact he played in a weak WIndies team should put him up there with the best of batsmen.

Slifer

International Captain
Great of his time certainly but IMO not an all time great. Among WI I would place him behind the big 4 (Headley, Lara, Viv, Sir Garry), and perhaps the 3ws.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very good player who absorbs pressure well. But not an all time great by any means for me.
I'd place him outside WI 's top 10 batsmen

Flem274*

123/5
He doesn't make my West Indian ATG eleven but he is unquestionably one of the greats, despite what the selfless intent brigade would have you believe with their only argument.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This generation's Barrington. Great figures, people will talk about how he could score more freely when he wanted to, but will be glossed over when talking about the ATGs.

JBH001

International Regular
Unfortunately, Chanders will likely never get the credit he deserves. He has gotten better too in the second half of his career. A top 10 WI bat, IMO.

Himannv

International Coach
This generation's Barrington. Great figures, people will talk about how he could score more freely when he wanted to, but will be glossed over when talking about the ATGs.
Personally I rate Barrington very highly and he's an all time great in my book so that's a strange comparison for me.

I'd rate the following West Indians higher:

Sobers
Richards
Lara
Headley
3W's
Kanhai

Leftarmtweaker

Cricket Spectator
Chanderpaul is an interesting one. His statistics are great, and you have to take into account he has played in arguably the weakest teams West Indies have fielded, so he pretty much always comes in during a crisis. But there is just something that prevents him from being one of the greatest. Just something.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have Sobers, Lara, Viv, Headley, 3 W's, Greenidge, Kanhai, Lloyd( terribly underrated), Kallicharan, Hunte above him.

salman85

International Debutant
Ok, so where does he rank amongst his contemporaries?
Amongst the best 10 batsmen of his time.Best in his team certainly post Lara.But there have always been better players around amongst his contemporaries (Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Ponting, Kallis etc), and there are comfortably atleast 4 WI batsmen greater than him when you look at history (Sobers, Viv, Lara, Haynes, Headley).

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'd have Sobers, Lara, Viv, Headley, 3 W's, Greenidge, Kanhai, Lloyd( terribly underrated), Kallicharan, Hunte above him.
What does Chanderpaul need to do for you to rank him above some of those players, especially Kallicharan and Hunte? He's had an amazing career and its been one that was quite surprising as he didn't exactly scream 'amazing career' early doors.

The All-time great question is always hard to answer, as the number of cricketers who make the cut differs between people.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He is definitely a great player and while top top tier by any means he has to be listed as an ATG.
Windies batsmen I rate above him would be Richards, Sobers, Lara, Headley (the top tier), Walcott, Weekes, Worrell, Kanhai, Lloyd and Greenidge.
He played too much for him self instead of team and sometimes seemed detached from the team situation and requirements. Still our ultimate fighter and a perfect foil for the brilliance of Lara.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's also remarkable how little decline there has been in Chanderpaul's capabilities. He's probably the best 39 year old batsman I've ever seen .

Btw, when was the last time a 40+ batsman scored a hundred in test cricket?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I consider him an All Time Great, yes.

I think he's a tier above players like Clarke and Pietersen.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
It's also remarkable how little decline there has been in Chanderpaul's capabilities. He's probably the best 39 year old batsman I've ever seen .

Btw, when was the last time a 40+ batsman scored a hundred in test cricket?

Yes, this is an interesting observation. Chanderpaul's consistency is remarkable. While a number of players have had form slumps, if you look at Chanderpaul's stats for the last 10 years he has been very consistent.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Chanders is definitely an ATG in my books but the sheer brilliance of other WI middle order bats means he's unable to break into the WI ATG team.

Among current batsmen (weighting towards recent form) I'd rate him below only Amla and Clarke.

Slifer

International Captain
These are his contemporaries I'd rate above Shiv:

India: Rahul and srt
pak: Inzamam
Oz: Ponting S Waugh
SL: Sanga
RSA: Kallis
Wi: Lara

Other players like Clarke, Pietersen, Yousuff etc u can argue for/against but the above batsmen I think r above the Shivster from his era alone.