• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Chanderapul be considered an all time great?

cnerd123

likes this
I wouldn't say he Is selfish and batting for his average. This is just the way he bats. He sort of gets into this bubbble and focuses on the ball and blocks out the match situation and what is happening at the other hand. He is too busy concentrating to have the mental space to also think about how to farm the strike, or how to pinch runs here and there by being cheeky or unorthodox. He just faces each ball, plays the best shot for it, takes the runs, and waits to face the next ball.

It's just not a style suited to farming the strike. If he started worrying about that, he may nick off sooner.

I agree he should bat higher, and that he is a second tier ATG. But I dont think he's being deliberately selfish.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I wouldn't say he Is selfish and batting for his average. This is just the way he bats. He sort of gets into this bubbble and focuses on the ball and blocks out the match situation and what is happening at the other hand. He is too busy concentrating to have the mental space to also think about how to farm the strike, or how to pinch runs here and there by being cheeky or unorthodox. He just faces each ball, plays the best shot for it, takes the runs, and waits to face the next ball.

It's just not a style suited to farming the strike. If he started worrying about that, he may nick off sooner.

I agree he should bat higher, and that he is a second tier ATG. But I dont think he's being deliberately selfish.
Id imagine a player that play's over 150 test matches would have more experience to handle the match situation better. Its not a new situation, how can he not have worked on a strategy after 20 years of international cricket. Does he just not care?

That said... Not many great players in the world has had to bat between an inconsistant top order and a handicapped tail end almost their entire careers, so its impossible to compare if anyone else would have done any better.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5

I don'tt think it's the bubble that's the problem (seen this a bit). Watling has a growing reputation for managing the New Zealand tail very well and he lives in a bubble at the crease.

cnerd123

likes this
Chanders is a very limited batsman and not as talented as anyone else who could be classed as an ATG. It makes sense to me that he requires immense concentration each innings, to the point of not being able to give a **** about situational awareness.

Something like what Ed Cowan was describing in his latest article - where he reached a phase where run scoring was a chore and taxing and exhausting but reliable and efficient. Sort of feels Chanders is almost always in thay gear.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah Chanderpaul has always had plenty of gears, you don't score a 69 ball 100 in Test cricket if you can't accelerate. Or score 10 off the last 2 balls of an ODI to win.

cnerd123

likes this
Rare bursts of expression and aggression in a mostly dour career.

IDK, I just feel that is isn't a selfish hunt for a high average that leads to this behavior, it's just a consequence of how he naturally bats. Has Chanders said anything about his style of play and why he doesn't move up or farm strike?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah Chanderpaul has always had plenty of gears, you don't score a 69 ball 100 in Test cricket if you can't accelerate. Or score 10 off the last 2 balls of an ODI to win.
I think that is a good counter to *****'s point, and you can say the same about Kallis who could up the ante when he wanted. Doesn't mean they aren't better at test cricket when they are playing their usual method though. Showing you are capable of shifting doesn't mean you trust it completely as a batsman when playing your usual way works.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I love how we're criticising a batsman for not giving his wicket away and staying not out.

I think Chanderpaul would be more highly rated if he'd had any sort of memorable innings in a victory from the last 15 years. It's hard to rate a guy too highly when all his good innings are basically "Chanderpaul fought valiantly and scored a century as the West Indies capitulated to a 10 wicket/innings and 17 million run defeat".
See I knew someone would say that and the fact that Chanderpaul stays not out is not the issue. The real problem is that he fails to realise when he needs to protect the tail, or atleast face a few more deliveries.

I don't think anyone who watched the match live yesterday would disagree with me that Chanders missed a trick. After Ramdin went a collapse was on the cards. The way Steyn was steaming in, it was obvious it was one of his crazy eye spells which needed blunting from Steyn. He didn't shield Holder, which I can agree with... he's ot a mug with the bat. Taylor threw it away, nothing CHanders could do after that.

But Chanderpaul just had to face more deliveries now, surely. There was no way Gabriel and Benn would keep surviving when Chanderpaul repeatedly didn't even attempt to protect them, even a bit. Just because I criticise him for being **** with the tail doesn't mean I don't think he's a great batsman. But if he bats as low down as 5 in a weak batting lineup and doesn't find a way to bat with the tail, he should cop his fair share of flak.

OverratedSanity

And to highlight Chanders' stupidity, Suleiman ****ing Benn was trying to shield Gabriel in the first innings. Yet here's the no 5, not even thinking of attempting it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See I knew someone would say that and the fact that Chanderpaul stays not out is not the issue. The real problem is that he fails to realise when he needs to protect the tail, or atleast face a few more deliveries.

I don't think anyone who watched the match live yesterday would disagree with me that Chanders missed a trick. After Ramdin went a collapse was on the cards. The way Steyn was steaming in, it was obvious it was one of his crazy eye spells which needed blunting from Steyn. He didn't shield Holder, which I can agree with... he's ot a mug with the bat. Taylor threw it away, nothing CHanders could do after that.

But Chanderpaul just had to face more deliveries now, surely. There was no way Gabriel and Benn would keep surviving when Chanderpaul repeatedly didn't even attempt to protect them, even a bit. Just because I criticise him for being **** with the tail doesn't mean I don't think he's a great batsman. But if he bats as low down as 5 in a weak batting lineup and doesn't find a way to bat with the tail, he should cop his fair share of flak.
Have the same criticisms of Sachin in the 2nd innings of this match?

Scorecard - 2010-2011 South Africa v India - 1st Test - 16/12/2010

OverratedSanity

Have the same criticisms of Sachin in the 2nd innings of this match?

Scorecard - 2010-2011 South Africa v India - 1st Test - 16/12/2010
Very slightly, but nah, the criticism he got for that knock was harsh. The situation after Dhoni got out was so hopeless that he needed the tail to bat normally and hope for a miraculous partnership. Could he have taken a bit more of the strike, yeah, maybe. But say in that game, if when Dhoni got out, we were 60-70 runs ahead, I have no doubt whatsoever that Sachin would've taken the strike a bit more to build the lead.

In yesterday's match, the game was in the balance when Ramdin was in. Even when the collapse started and 8 wickets went down, West Indies were 120+ ahead. If that isn't the time for a top order batsman to score runs I don't know what is. That's the worst part.... even 30-40 runs more would've put West Indies in a decent position. Chanders just gave up on the match completely.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep sure, thought that would be your response. The lead/deficit point is your differentiator

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Made the most of his ability. Some would argue he made more out of it, others would say he had more ability than what met the eye (I am thinking towards the latter).
But no doubt he has been spectacularly effective and is a world class player.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Exactly right. If he was or if someone was doing this for our own sides they would cop a whole heap of flak for it. I could only imagine how much criticism McCullum would cop if he batted in such a manner.

It's annoying hearing how courageous he is all the time and how the WI tail failed him despite the fact that they take the majority of the strike while Chanderpaul hides at the other end.

He's a very good player, but only cares about 1 thing and that's his average.