Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: **Official** Sri Lanka Domestic Season 2013/14

Quote Originally Posted by YorksLanka View Post
    i personally dont think so, i think he has had plenty of chances but just cant cut it at the top level
    I think this is true of Tharanga more than Mubarak actually. The thing with Mubarak is that when he was selected he was terrible; he hadn't done anything domestically at all to justify his repeated recalls and it was no surprise he failed. He seems to have really improved his game though in that he's now racking up some runs, so unlike Tharanga something has changed.
    Maximas likes this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

First Class Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    no argument with this but the difference btween the two is that Tharanga has performed well opening in the ODI's with Dilshan..
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

The 'A' team isn't playing one-dayers though
    There are two colours in my head

that's true, but my point was that Tharanga has scored runs at international top level whereas Mubarak hasnt and runs in our weak domestic competiton cant compare. I understand that form has to come into it too but the level of competiton that those runs are scored at has to also surely?

Yeah but Tharanga didn't really force his way in through weight of runs in FC cricket, (which is a more legitimate indication of ability than you're giving it credit for IMO) while Mubarak possibly could have. I don't think picking a guy based off a patchy ODI record makes much sense when you've got another guy in good FC form, fact is that neither of them are likely to be much good at test level so I just don't understand why the guy in domestic form wasn't rewarded when the alternative is Tharanga, but you seem to rate him more than I do so whatever

and vice versa so bygones!! i sure we agree that irrespective of who we prefer we want the best for our team..i can see your logic but as i said before i dont think our FC ability and level is good enough and we need to make this much more competitive but whilst teams still get picked on who they know rather than what they do/capable of,this will not change..

Haha, he just scored a duck, meanwhile, the rest of the 'A' team is terrible as well, too many of our fringe players on tour playing limited overs cricket or still playing in the Premier League

The 'A' team is off to a good start in their bid to try and save the game, ending day 3 none down with Dimuth and Tharanga each not out on 30 something. Tharindu Kaushal was the only bowler to make a meaningful contribution as the Lions piled on 7-600 odd declared picking up 4-140, he seems like a really good prospect.

I am a happy bunny that Tharanga lived up to my billing..Also good to see Dimuth in the runs and i will be even happier if we can get a result out of this match..highlighy improbable but if we are 80 behind thenif we can get a reasonable lead quickly and put it back to England. IMHO, no harm losing trying for a win, as we already lost series anyway

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    It's the last day and last session - and there is another test after this.

DOH of course, its four days not five isnt it and yes there is another test..i shall go and whip my self severely for my errors!clearly getting old/drank too much last night...my bad...
    Last edited by YorksLanka; 22-02-2014 at 03:21 AM.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    no worries bro. Good fightback by your guys. Looks like the wicket was extremely flat once the juice went out of the wicket for the quicks.

Yeah i think you're right Bro, it looks like a road..the types of wicket that we want rid of as SL fans..these types of wickets are why we struggle on juicy tracks abroad...

also to be fair, the side we put out isnt strong enough as when you look at the England team, 5 or 6 have represented their full team whereas only a couple have done the same for us..

yeah, this 'A' team is pretty weak with many of our fringe test players in Bangladesh or just not playing like PJ, happy to see Dimuth in the runs, and Tharanga did well too. But as has been said, the pitch was the ultimate winner here, pretty disappointing to see a road. As glad as I am to see Dimuth scoring a big hundred, I can't help but wonder why he does this so well at 'A' level but fails to go on in the test arena even when he gets consistent starts, at least we know he has the potential to go big I spose.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information