Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: **Official** Sri Lanka Domestic Season 2013/14

First Class Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    yeah great result for the U19's and hopefully some of these guys will make it through to the senior side in a few years time..As for the Lions game, good result considering this inst our "A" team so to compete with Englands, is a decent result...I agree with your comments about Randiv btw, i think he got really badly treated after that no ball incident(which was wrong of him btw)
    keep up the good work...
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

Sri Lankan U-19s complete a clean sweep against the Aussies, had to work harder this match though, here are the deets.

The Sri Lanka 'A' emerging team is playing the Lions again, this time with a different team, Lions doing it comfortably after day 1, 5/327, Akila Dananjaya the mystery spinner guy took a couple of wickets
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Speaking of that tour, the Sri Lanka 'A' squad of 15 has been named for the first of the three 'tests', Tharindu Kaushal is in

Sri Lanka Cricket News: Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Roshen Silva in SL A squad | ESPN Cricinfo

This is actually 3 day old news, still relevant though
    Last edited by Maximas; 06-02-2014 at 06:18 AM.

great to see Tharanga back in the fold and i would have liked to see Thisara Perera in this squad...Chandimal could have been in this squad too(as i dont think he should have been in the senior squad) as he needs to get some confidence back

Quote Originally Posted by YorksLanka View Post
    great to see Tharanga back in the fold and i would have liked to see Thisara Perera in this squad...Chandimal could have been in this squad too(as i dont think he should have been in the senior squad) as he needs to get some confidence back
    Tharanga? Really?

You'd prefer Perera playing in the 'A' team rather than short form cricket in Bangladesh ahead of the Asia Cup/World t20? I sort of agree about Chandimal but you can't really send the t20 captain home to play 'A' games.

tharanga, yes, he is a solid player(in ODi's) who is still young, went through a purple patch but dont all players do that? As for Perera, it does no harm for him to gain confidence here, that will then allow him to get back to his best for the World T20..personally, dont give two hoots about Asia cup...As for Chandi, i didnt mean bring him back from Bangla, sorry, meant that he shouldnt have been picked in first place..he obviously reads this forum tho() and has decided to serve me some humble pie ..lol
    Last edited by YorksLanka; 07-02-2014 at 02:14 AM.

In the context of the 2015 WC in Aus/NZ, I don't think Tharanga should be around the national ODI set-up, he's played a few good ODI innings' as a middle order player in Aus, but his inconsistency at the top has been proven time and time again. Will keep an eye on him this tour however, very talented player.

Meanwhile the next round of the Premier League just started today, Jeehan Mubarak has hit another big hundred for Nondescripts, currently 170 not out with a few overs left in the day
    Last edited by Maximas; 08-02-2014 at 03:48 AM.

the trouble is these big scores in our domestic setup dont really count for squat as the wickets are roads and the standards are not nearly good enough to compete in international cricket..

Dinesh Chandimal has spoken about the huge gap between domestic and international cricket for Sri Lanka, however it's not impossible to make the jump, Kaushal Silva (who scored 28 hundreds in FC cricket prior to his most recent call-up) and Chandimal himself among others have proven that a few good years on the domestic circuit can prepare you for international cricket, at least to an extent. While the pitch Mubarak made his unbeaten double on (completed it today) appears to be pretty decent (although Badureliya are struggling on it) many domestic pitches are actually rank dustbowls which result in very low team scores.

~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Nothing really standing out in the Nondescripts innings.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    been meaning to ask for a while but how does a team end up calling themselves the nondescripts? haven't they produced a fair number of test players too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    been meaning to ask for a while but how does a team end up calling themselves the nondescripts? haven't they produced a fair number of test players too?
    In the late 1800s when the club was founded, the other clubs in the league were all exclusive to a one ethnic group or another (Sinhalese, Tamil Union etc); the Nondescripts club was founded on the principle of inclusivity to anyone good enough on cricketing merit.
    Flem274* likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Good wiki'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Good wiki'ing.
    Haha yeah pretty much. I'm way too lazy to have wiki'd it for Phlegm just now though; I wiki'd it for myself a few months ago.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information