Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: **Official** Sri Lanka Domestic Season 2013/14

SSC have just defeated Ragama in the second semi final to move into the final of the premier league with Nondescripts. It was a close game, the difference being an unbeaten century from Kaushal Silva who combined with no 10 Dhamika Prasad to put on an unbeaten 9th wicket partnership of 54, earlier, Prasad took 3 wickets to limit Ragama to 238.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

There's a domestic team called Nondescripts?

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Yeah.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Yeah, as pointed out by PEWS earlier, the SL domestic competition is just their old club system, so the teams are named like clubs rather than provinces or whatever

The final of the Premier league was won comfortably by SSC over Nondescripts. Having scored 278 Nondescripts were always behind in the chase after losing their in form openers Dickwella and Tharanga early. For Nondescripts, Jeehan Mubarak topscored with 55 before he was run-out, essentially ending all chance of them winning the match, while earlier Farveez Maharoof picked up 3/38 off his 10 overs. Chamara Kapugedara starred for SSC with the bat, scoring 70 off 57 balls, with the ball Charith Jayampathi took 4 wickets and broke the spine of the Nondescripts batting line-up.

Sri Lanka Under 19s just lost to Afghanistan Under 19s. Don't know whether to take that as a positive step for Afghanistan cricket or a worrying sign for Sri Lankan cricket; it's probably a little of both.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sri Lanka Under 19s just lost to Afghanistan Under 19s. Don't know whether to take that as a positive step for Afghanistan cricket or a worrying sign for Sri Lankan cricket; it's probably a little of both.
    A 15 year old Afghan bowler took 5/33

Gee I'm excited about Afghanistan though. The prospect of having another team in international cricket that's as passionate about the game as the subcontinental teams is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    A 15 year old Afghan bowler took 5/33
    It's Afghanistan though. Chances are he's probably 25.

Under-19 World Cup 2014 : Kusal Mendis to lead SL in U-19 World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Under-19 World Cup | ESPN Cricinfo

Also, the Premier league first class competition (which is a 3 day format in Sri Lanka) is going to start on January 17th, the fixture can be found here.

And finally, the proposed tour to Bangladesh for 2 tests and some ODIs/t20s starting later this month has been in danger of cancellation due to political instability in Bangladesh, however pending the results of an inspection by 2 SL officials of the venues the tour will go ahead, although a northern venue might have to be swapped out because the officials won't be inspecting it. The tour is quite important for Sri Lanka, not only to sustain their momentum gained in the ongoing UAE tour but also because Bangladesh will also be hosting the world t20 and the Asia cup soon, and the ODIs/t20s will be good practice.

If I were Bangladesh I would try to make Vaas an offer he can't refuse while he's over there. Look at what he's done with SL's pace bowlers in such a short amount of time. There's a relatively similar level of raw talent in the Bangladeshi camp (i.e., it is not readily apparent).

They already have their hands full with Saqlain though, I imagine his 100 day a year contract is already stretching their budget

Been a bit busy lately but I'll quickly post this.

The Premier League FC tournament started last week, the tournament is the main FC league in Sri Lanka, and the matches are three days, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the teams are all basically Colombo club teams with FC status. The cricinfo wrap-up of the first round can be found here. Only one result was achieved, Bloomfield easily knocking over Panadura, led by 7 wickets from Suraj Randiv.

In other Sri Lanka news the Bangladesh tour appears to be going ahead, although the final decision will be made a day before departure (later today I think) SLC have stated that this will simply be a formality as they are almost certain they are satisfied with security arrangements. To my great disappointment (but probably karan316's joy) Ajantha Mendis has been picked in the squad to tour Bangladesh at the expense of Senanayake. Kitharuwan Vithanage also got selected as Lahiru Thirimanne is still injured. I honestly think Sri Lanka could do much worse than going back to Randiv, I thought he wasn't too bad as Herath's understudy, Sri Lanka is rather ****ed once Herath retires it seems.

The next round of the Premier league tournament starts later today, get excited

Yeah, I don't get why Randiv didn't get more of a go.

The second round of the Premier League finished yesterday, and it three up some interesting results as far as individual contributions go. Here is the cricinfo wrap-up.

Nondescripts smashed Air Force club by an innings with Angelo Perera scoring 244 (204) and Jehan Mubarak hitting 164, the 20 year old offspinner Tharindu Kaushal took 6 wickets in the second innings. Seekkuge Prasanna was in the runs and the wickets as Sri Lanka Army pulled off a tense 2 wicket victory over Colombo, scoring a vital 70 in the chase of 253 and taking 8 wickets for the game. Ports Authority CC thumped Panadura by 10 wickets, set up by a first innings total of 423 which was powered by a century from Sachithra Senasinghe. The other 2 matches ended in draws, interestingly, Jeevan Mendis scored his second century of the season, will be interesting to follow his form over the next few weeks.

The solid performances of Seekkuge Prasanna and Tharindu Kaushal make me continue to pull my hair out over the Ajantha Mendis selection for Bangladesh, hopefully one of them can force their way into the reckoning soon and Mendis will be done away with forever as far as test cricket is concerned.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information