• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Umpire

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Billy wasn't such a good umpire then he would be taken to the cleaners because of his eccentric behaviour.
You can tell though that all the players respect him as an umpire whereas im sure a number can't think too highly of Asoka.

Andre

International Regular
Taufel
Bucknor
Shep
Bowden - in any order.

Anyone find it ironic that umpires wear long, white coats?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmmmm..... still trying to spot the irony....

It will come with time I'm sure....:)
Oh, I get it. It's a mental thing.

You see, doctors tend to wear long white coats. This is normally taken in this kind of reference to imply mental institutions.

Now, umpires have a supervisory role (like doctors) and wear long white coats (like doctors).

Andre is suggesting that cricketers are akin to patients in an institution - i.e. nutters. See the utterances of Lillee, Thomson, S.Waugh a couple of days ago, Hooksey, see the antics of Shane - he might have a point.

Oh, please nobody point out that Andre is implying that umpires are barmy - I know that's what he's getting at.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vishnureddy said:
Ganguly is said to have given a very poor review on Bucknor to ICC and rightly so IMO . The players face the consequence of poor performance and it should apply to umpires too as they are professionals too.

Ganguly reviews Bucknor as poor
"He was not like this before, but now he seems to be riding a thing against us," remarked the senior cricketer.
Hmmmm. Coming soon... "We would have won if it hadn't been for biased umpiring"

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vishnureddy said:
Ganguly is said to have given a very poor review on Bucknor to ICC and rightly so IMO . The players face the consequence of poor performance and it should apply to umpires too as they are professionals too.

Ganguly reviews Bucknor as poor
If Ganguly doesn't want Bucknor send him down to Homestead park for the next two Saturdays because its unlikely that my team will get an umpire. As far as I'm concerned if you get an umpire you shouldn't be complaining. We have to do it ourselves if we don't get an umpire - I'd love to see the test cricketers do that!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well watching the INd-AUS series, the umpires officiating (Shep, Bowden and Bucknor) were awfully reluctant to give lbws.

While I'm not on Ganguly's side or anything -- India had some close lbws turned down in both Melbourne and Sydney.
Melb:
Agarkar to Ponting
Kumble to Ponting
Kumble to Hayden
Nehra to Hayden

India had 2-3 more shouts in Sydney which looked pretty good.

Ok I respect the umpires decision and I accept sometimes the rub of the green won't go your way -- but what I think needs to be looked into is whether umpires feel they need more assistance in making the correct adjudication.

At the end of the day that's what we want -- more correct decisions being made.
Why can't the ICC give field umpires the discretion to refer close lbw shouts to the third umpire to have another look on replay ?
I mean the field umpire gets only one look at it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jamesryfler said:
Well watching the INd-AUS series, the umpires officiating (Shep, Bowden and Bucknor) were awfully reluctant to give lbws.

While I'm not on Ganguly's side or anything -- India had some close lbws turned down in both Melbourne and Sydney.
Melb:
Agarkar to Ponting
Kumble to Ponting
Kumble to Hayden
Nehra to Hayden

India had 2-3 more shouts in Sydney which looked pretty good.

Ok I respect the umpires decision and I accept sometimes the rub of the green won't go your way -- but what I think needs to be looked into is whether umpires feel they need more assistance in making the correct adjudication.

At the end of the day that's what we want -- more correct decisions being made.
Why can't the ICC give field umpires the discretion to refer close lbw shouts to the third umpire to have another look on replay ?
I mean the field umpire gets only one look at it.
I can see it now.......

Australia's tour or India 2011:

Cricinfo commentary:

Welcome ladies and gentleman to the first day of the first test live from Kolkata. Unfortunately we won't be able to bring you any coverage of today's play as UMP v.21 has caused a malfunction and won't be able to be used today. I remember a time when we didn't have to rely on technology and matches started on time, oh well at least we don't have any incorrect decisions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
Likewise Australia did as well, so it tended to even itself out!

Craig

World Traveller
Simon Davies of Australia umpired very well in the Test between NZ v Pakistan at Hamilton.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
well Marc, I think you'll find India had a lot more lbw shouts than Australia -- not surprising given AA's skiddy action and Kumble constantly attacking the stumps.

Mr Wrights comments are just plain silly -- by the same token mate, if the technology is not working, then you can't adjudicate on runouts and stumpings (which is permitted currently).
All I'm suggesting is a simple extension of using that technology to help adjudicate close lbw calls.

Its worth remembering that a lot of people were against the introduction of technology back in 1991/992 to adjudicate runouts yet by and large it has made cricket a better game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
well Marc, I think you'll find India had a lot more lbw shouts than Australia -- not surprising given AA's skiddy action and Kumble constantly attacking the stumps.

A fan from either side can never be truly objective.

jamesryfler said:
Mr Wrights comments are just plain silly -- by the same token mate, if the technology is not working, then you can't adjudicate on runouts and stumpings (which is permitted currently).
All I'm suggesting is a simple extension of using that technology to help adjudicate close lbw calls.
Wrong - Run Outs and Stumpings are pure fact based on what has definitely happened.

LBW is a judgement on what is going to happen after striking the pad. No technology can yet substitute being out in the middle for that.