• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Umpire

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Zimbabwean umpire be Ian Robinson?
Arrrrg he's terrible! As bad as Steve Dunne!

Bucknor and Shep equal best, though mistakes are creeping in. Peter Willey next with Taufel, Bowden and Venkat just below.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
I think that Taufel is the best umpire I have ever seen (and I go back a long time)
It is beyond the realms of possibility that he is better than our Harold.
:!(
Don't talk rubbish!!!!:!( :!( :!(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
David Shephard
Stephen Bucknor
Srinivasaraghavan Venkatravaghan
Brent Bowden, Aleem Dar and that Taufel git all get a mention. But none are quite as good as Rudi Koertzen or David Orchard IMO. People forget, however, that Mr. Bowden partnered Asoka in that terrible Test in Christchurch (well, not terrible for Mr. Astle but terrible for most other people in the end, especially the Umpires). Steve Dunne and his partner (can't remember who) were almost as bad next game and then that genious Doug Cowie returned in Auckland. He only made 1 mistake all game (sadly that probably cost England the game, but hey - nothing certain).
Surely New Zealand's second-best cricketing export?
Of course, there will surely never be the like to rival Harold Dennis and the great Frank Chester, whom even eddie is probably to young to remember.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've seen Venkat make some horrible decision of late although he is 90% solid, his mistakes seem to be almost unbelievable.
That's why I rate him in the 3rd bracket. Willey has allways been very solid, Venkat seems to have lost it a bit. If we were talking about a few years ago I'd put him with Steve and Shep!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
It is beyond the realms of possibility that he is better than our Harold.
:!(
Don't talk rubbish!!!!:!( :!( :!(
To tell the truth, there's not a great deal of difference - although by default (Dickie Bird being a Yorkshireman) there's more chance of Simon Taufel buying me a drink so the casting vote goes to my liver.

Another parallel - both can spot a cloud at 100 miles - and that's from indoors.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dont think Ian Robinson is horrible. He seems to be doing pretty good. I forgot to mention Steve Dunn. I think he is top draw as well.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
I dont think Ian Robinson is horrible. He seems to be doing pretty good. I forgot to mention Steve Dunn. I think he is top draw as well.
When I saw each of those 2 umpiring they looked totally out of their depth and made horrible, horrible decisions. Dunn failed to give dead plumb LBW after dead plumb LBW and wondered why the crowd got angry. Even the home NZ Commentator described it as "just useless umpiring"

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
To tell the truth, there's not a great deal of difference - although by default (Dickie Bird being a Yorkshireman) there's more chance of Simon Taufel buying me a drink so the casting vote goes to my liver.

Another parallel - both can spot a cloud at 100 miles - and that's from indoors.
One problem though Eddie...Simon doesn't drink!!

My top three are...

• 1. Simon Taufel....Don't tell me you couldn't see that coming!! Although there is some bias in my selection of Simon at number one, I still think he is by far the best.
    2. Billy Bowden.....The only reason I have enjoyed the Sydney Test, wasn't for the players but for Billy!
    3. Venkat, Bucknor and Shep...Can't split "The Old Guys"...I still think they are great despite some ordinary games over the last year or so.

Just below the top 3 are...Darryl Harper, Darrell Hair, Rudi Koertzen and Dave Orchard

But of course it goes without saying that Harold "Dickie" Bird is the greatest Umpire ever!

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The thing is, you cant judge them from seeing them in one or two matches. I would say both are good. I had this guy remark in my personal blog that venkat is not good coz he had seen him in one or two matches. Venkat has been inconsistent lately but is good overall.

I see Robinson and Dunne as umpires giving good lbw decisions. Its true every one may not agree because judging umpiring is totally a perception thing.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Megan will have your guts for garters.
So not worth the hassle Eddie....The Duck and I know that Simon is the best and that's all that counts!!:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
He was a lovely guy, regardless of not being the best Umpire.
IIRC in the summer after the incident with Gatt, wasn't he over in England and dressed as a Car Park Attendant at a Middlesex game and Gatt never noticed him (probably had 2 Bacon butties in each hand to be fair though)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely that plonker Ian Robinson can't be up there? he was the one who cost NZ that test match in Perth back in 2001.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eyes_Only said:

• 2. Billy Bowden.....The only reason I have enjoyed the Sydney Test, wasn't for the players but for Billy!
Oh come on, seeing Bret Lee hit all around the park and exposed as how poor a player he really is must be enjoyable.

Eyes_Only said:

Just below the top 3 are...Darryl Harper, Darrell Hair, Rudi Koertzen and Dave Orchard
Darrel Hair? :O