• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman after Lara and Sachin

C_C

International Captain
Of the current batsmen, i rate them in the following order ( obviously Steve Waugh slots in at #3 after Tendy and lara in career-time stakes):

Tests:

Dravid
Ponting
Sehwag
Martyn
Kallis
Gillchrist
Smith
Hayden
Jayawardene
Inzamam

As per ODIs go, its tough to rate them with Ponting next in line. In no particular order, i would say the next nine are : Hayden,Gayle, Dravid,Ganguly,Kallis, Martyn,Inzamam, Gillchrist and Lehmann

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Uh yeh... so that patch between 2001 and 2003 when he scored 2846 runs in 26 matches at 61.86 with 8 hundreds and 12 fifties was inconsistent? That stretch where he only averaged under 40 in two full series... Riiiiight.

He scored 2525 runs between 1996 and 1999 and averaged 43.53 with 6 hundreds and 13 fifties.
I was actually saying Lara has not been that inconsistent. I said that patch between 96 and 99 because during 97 and 98, he was not all that consistent. In fact, he went through a whole 13 month period in between when he did not score a hundred. Lara himself admitted that it was the time when he basically wanted to get out of the game, captaincy issues and all. I think he has been consistently great, aside from that little period.

C_C

International Captain
Lara has been very consistent...its just that he has been a bit less consistent than Tendulkar.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Aside from 7 Tests between India and Pakistan though, Lara's spread looks pretty good.
the same can be done with every other player, if you eliminate pontings's 8 tests in india where hes been disgraceful, he too has pulled off a 'dravid'. elimination doesnt solve anything, personally i find lara to be more inconsistent that ponting and kallis.
the most glaring statistic, was the last one that i mentioned, none of the other 4 have managed to go through their career(or career thus far) without averaging at least 40 in every year. that IMO emphasises the consistentcy with with dravid has scored his runs, without having a single bad year.personally i wonder how many of the other greats of the game have managed to do that.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arrow said:
Much more talented? :wacko:
when it comes to having a great eye and technique, theres been no one remotely near as good as tendulkar(bar maybe bradman), for me its quite clear that for someone with so much talent, tendulkar has underperformed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Of the current batsmen, i rate them in the following order ( obviously Steve Waugh slots in at #3 after Tendy and lara in career-time stakes):

Smith

Smith?!!!!!!!!!!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i think dravid might be more appropriate than smith, whether or not this is edd smith or grahame is irrelevant im afraid to say ahem...

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
Why do people rate Gibbs so high ?
This is why:
H H Gibbs: Matches: 64 Innings:110 Runs: 5053 High score: 228 Average:48.12 100's:14 50's: 18 :D

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Of the current crop, in tests, the next big things IMO are
Ponting
Dravid
Kallis

In ODIs'
Ponting
Gayle

Other players with loads of potential :-Clarke, Bell, deVilliers. i could have forgotten other front runners

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
i meant that in the next generation, people will be talking like,''who's taking over from Dravid and Punter'' like in this thread it is who's after Lara and Sachin

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
A terrible lean spell that!
Shows the greatness of the man. Had he done that for about a 12-year career, he'd have nigh on 20 Test hundreds, average in the mid40s, with 7-8,000 runs. Not a bad career.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
personally, i think that lara is more talented, because he has been so successful with what really is not all that flash a technique. he just has the most unbelievable eye. sachin is better technically than brian.

after those two, i'd have steve waugh, but of those still playing, dravid, then kallis then ponting for me.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I have to ask this again, but why are people not considering Sehwag as a contender to some spot on that list?
I would consider Sehwag, but he hasn't been playing for that long. For the same reason, I wouldn't consider someone like Smith.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dasa said:
I would consider Sehwag, but he hasn't been playing for that long. For the same reason, I wouldn't consider someone like Smith.
I would consider Sehwag as a possible future star, just the same as Clarke and Strauss.