Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Discussions between the overs

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash

Discussions between the overs

I hate them normally and just keep them brief while batting.

Everyone manages their inning differently. So both batsman invariably don't want to follow the same advice.
    Some conversations I have been involved in
    "Lets set ourselves targets of ten runs at a time,. :"Nah thats stupid"
    "Lets try to tick it over at about 3 an over." " I disagree lets just bat".
    "Man this bowler is bowling well I am going to try to pump him over his head to unsettle him" "Oh man that has upset my concentration"
    "Lets bat like we are 10 and 11" (said to me when we were two down)
    "You've faced too many dot balls it is time to work some singles".

In one team I played for I could predict when a wicket was going to fall. The wicket would be preceded by an involved discussion between our two batsman in the middle cooking up some ill fated plan.

These days I just bump gloves and say "keep going mate" and walk back to my end.

How about you - do you find the mid wicket conversations helpful. What are some of the more amusing conversations you have had?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Best one I had was when I walked out to bat and was told "Don't look at his tits wobble". Sure enough he runs in and they were wobbling everywhere, almost got bowled as I was laughing. Team mate walked down and just said "I told you not to look at them".

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Was involved in one discussion with our captain where I told him I was just going to block out the spinner who was bowling at the time. Promptly danced down the wicket 1st ball and got out stumped.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Some innings where I would have paid money to hear the conversation

Bert sutcliffe and bob blair
    Woodfull and Ponsford (did they really talk about their wife's home cooking like they do on the bodyline video)
    Who ever was batting with Lara when he was on 390*

U19 Cricketer
    Usually I will say if other guy is doing good, "you are doing good, keep going" *fist bump*

Or if only been in small amount of time "play how you want to play" *fist bump*
    Hurricane likes this.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I'm usually such a **** batsman I don't get too many chances to do the fist bump that often. When I do, I make sure I say all sorts of nonsense
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Generally mine is "keep doing what we're doing, nice loud calls, plenty of runs out here today", repeated ad infinium, followed by the glove-bump.

Depending on who I'm batting with, that can also be joined by "keep your head down mate".
    hendrix likes this.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    This is an abbreviated version of what I normally greet the incoming batsman with if my partner has just been dismissed:

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friend.

And so even though we face the difficulties of a wicked pitch and skilful bowlers, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Australian dream.

I have a dream that one day this team will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all cricketers are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the green fields of the lower Tweed, the sons of former convicts and the sons of former tea-sipping Ashes holders will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day, even in the state of QLD, a state sweltering with the heat of inappropriate ugg boot wearing, sweltering with the heat of boganism, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my 10 teammates will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the quality of their performance, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down at the other end, with his vicious bouncers, with his captain having his lips dripping with the words of "short legs" and "long ons" -- one day right here on the playing field inadequate tailenders will be able to join hands with tall, strapping pace bowlers intent on their destruction.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every half-volley shall be punished, and every hook and pull shall be played well, the rough patches treated with respect, and the cross bat shots played with the required care; "and the glory of playing in the 'V' shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

I usually respond to sledges from the fielding side rather than talk to the other batsman
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

You'd all be boring as hell to bat with

depends on my responses, can make for entertaining viewing if the fielding side keep going with it

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    you better be making runs if you start chirping back.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

it's fourth grade, who gives a ****?

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Keep going. The longer we bat, the easier it will be for the rest. Lets just bat some time. What a bunch of tools ( the opposition). They're losing it. Keep going. The bowler is a tool/prick/****. You're doing well. Gotta keep going. Which ever of us gets out first, the other has to bat till the end.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    "Let's get these ****s toasting. No hurry."

Teams field stamina is just so so bad in club cricket.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information