• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discussions between the overs

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I hate them normally and just keep them brief while batting.

Everyone manages their inning differently. So both batsman invariably don't want to follow the same advice.
Some conversations I have been involved in
"Lets set ourselves targets of ten runs at a time,. :"Nah thats stupid"
"Lets try to tick it over at about 3 an over." " I disagree lets just bat".
"Man this bowler is bowling well I am going to try to pump him over his head to unsettle him" "Oh man that has upset my concentration"
"Lets bat like we are 10 and 11" (said to me when we were two down)
"You've faced too many dot balls it is time to work some singles".

In one team I played for I could predict when a wicket was going to fall. The wicket would be preceded by an involved discussion between our two batsman in the middle cooking up some ill fated plan.

These days I just bump gloves and say "keep going mate" and walk back to my end.

How about you - do you find the mid wicket conversations helpful. What are some of the more amusing conversations you have had?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best one I had was when I walked out to bat and was told "Don't look at his **** wobble". Sure enough he runs in and they were wobbling everywhere, almost got bowled as I was laughing. Team mate walked down and just said "I told you not to look at them".

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was involved in one discussion with our captain where I told him I was just going to block out the spinner who was bowling at the time. Promptly danced down the wicket 1st ball and got out stumped.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some innings where I would have paid money to hear the conversation

Bert sutcliffe and bob blair
Woodfull and Ponsford (did they really talk about their wife's home cooking like they do on the bodyline video)
Who ever was batting with Lara when he was on 390*

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Usually I will say if other guy is doing good, "you are doing good, keep going" *fist bump*

Or if only been in small amount of time "play how you want to play" *fist bump*

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm usually such a **** batsman I don't get too many chances to do the fist bump that often. When I do, I make sure I say all sorts of nonsense

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Generally mine is "keep doing what we're doing, nice loud calls, plenty of runs out here today", repeated ad infinium, followed by the glove-bump.

Depending on who I'm batting with, that can also be joined by "keep your head down mate".

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is an abbreviated version of what I normally greet the incoming batsman with if my partner has just been dismissed:

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friend.

And so even though we face the difficulties of a wicked pitch and skilful bowlers, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Australian dream.

I have a dream that one day this team will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all cricketers are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the green fields of the lower Tweed, the sons of former convicts and the sons of former tea-sipping Ashes holders will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day, even in the state of QLD, a state sweltering with the heat of inappropriate ugg boot wearing, sweltering with the heat of boganism, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my 10 teammates will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the quality of their performance, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down at the other end, with his vicious bouncers, with his captain having his lips dripping with the words of "short legs" and "long ons" -- one day right here on the playing field inadequate tailenders will be able to join hands with tall, strapping pace bowlers intent on their destruction.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every half-volley shall be punished, and every hook and pull shall be played well, the rough patches treated with respect, and the cross bat shots played with the required care; "and the glory of playing in the 'V' shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I usually respond to sledges from the fielding side rather than talk to the other batsman

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
depends on my responses, can make for entertaining viewing if the fielding side keep going with it

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Keep going. The longer we bat, the easier it will be for the rest. Lets just bat some time. What a bunch of tools ( the opposition). They're losing it. Keep going. The bowler is a tool/prick/****. You're doing well. Gotta keep going. Which ever of us gets out first, the other has to bat till the end.

Himannv

International Coach
I don't mind a bit of friendly encouragement from the other batsman, but I'm not keen on listening to anything more than that.

BeeGee

International Captain
"No quick singles, I'm hung over."

"No quick singles, I had a big breakfast."

"No quick singles, I'm fat and unfit."

"Which pub are we going to after the game?"

"Dude, I heard you ****ed Jimmy's wife last night. Are you nuts?"

"This box is cutting off the circulation to my nads."