• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England A to play in India's Duleep Trophy

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
that a poor squad take out Wagg, Mahmood, and add Kabir Ali and another batsman
Logic suggests that the selectors saw enough of Kabir at Headingley to dispose of him. I know Rik and Richard disagree, but the selectors agree with me... (or should that be t'other way round?)

Mahmood has a lot of potential... and wait a second, why are the players you want dropped in your starting XI?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One match is NEVER enough to see enough.
Even Usman Afzaal deserved more than 1 Test.
He has performed very well in domestic First-Class cricket in terms of wickets and while I don't want to see him in the Test-side ATM to write him off completely would be IMO totally insane.
You'd do far better to write-off Harmison or Jones.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
One match is NEVER enough to see enough.
I'm sure they've watched him more than once.

David Boon said, "first class cricket is 80% mental, 20% technical, and test cricket is 90-10". Variations on this theme are what the selectors base the decisions upon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it's total rubbish.
If it was true all you'd need to make a Test player would be a good attitude, and you can teach or hypnotise that into anyone.
Boon got the "I got myself out about 80%, the bowlers got me out about 20% in my career" right, but the other is complete codswallop, as much as Kabir bowled at Headingley.
And he bowled rubbish and still averaged under 28.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Which goes to underline how averages are for the most part, tripe.

Another saying is "football management is 99% luck and 1% ability, but don't try it without that 1%". Can't remember who said it, I'm sure Marc can.

Bed calls now. Night all :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Averages are tripe - interesting.
That's something I say all the time, but very rarely does anyone accept it.
First-chance batting averages are the only ones that can be inequivocally judged upon, and even they must always be taken in context.