• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

SeamUp

International Coach
Would imagine India and Pakistan start as huge huge favourites in the conditions we will face let alone their good records at this level. But they have been grouped with each other.

The Under-19 World Cup will kick off in the UAE on February 14, with England, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies scheduled for action on the opening day. Defending champions India will open their campaign against two-time winners Pakistan the next day.

The tournament features 16 teams divided into four groups and the top two would progress to the quarter-finals. The other two teams from each group will compete in the Plate Championship quarter-finals.

Angelo Mathews, the Sri Lanka captain, considered the under-19 world cup to be an important stepping stone for young players. "Having played in a couple of ICC U19 Cricket World Cups, I can tell you that this is the best stage for any raw talent to polish his skills and see if he's worthy enough of progressing to the biggest stage of them all - international cricket at the senior level," he said.

Afghanistan, Canada, Namibia, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, United Arab Emirates and the 10 Full Member nations will compete in 48 matches, which will be staged across seven venues in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Dubai.
Group A: India, Pakistan, Scotland, Papua New Guinea
Group B: Australia, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Namibia
Group C: South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Canada
Group D: New Zealand, England, Sri Lanka, UAE

Suppose we can chat about expected squads. Current games. Highly rated players expected in each teams etc.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
My lowdown on the West Indies squad. It hasn't been selected yet but we pretty much know who the main players to look out for are:

Batting: Many fans and experts in the Caribbean are saying this is the weakest Under 19 batting group we have had for some time. The best of the lot would seem to be Jeremy Solozano, a left handed opening batsman from T & T. I haven't seen much of him but he's apparently a solid left handed batsman who can occupy the crease for a long time. Then there is Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Shiv's son. He is a promising young left hander who can bat forever if you let him, much like his dad. He doesn't have the fastest scoring rate though so he's not ideally suited to Limited Overs cricket. Finally, there's Nicholas Pooran, who is a left handed wicket keeper batsman who gives the ball a real smack. He's been dubbed the closest thing we've had to Adam Gilchrist in Trinidad but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Here's a video of him smacking it around on his T20 debut.

Bowling: In contrast to the batting, the powers that be are delighted with the amount of bowling talent we have at our disposal, particularly the fast bowlers. Ray Jordan has serious pace for a 19 year old, he is a real tearaway right arm fast bowler. He had a lot of the domestic Under 19 guys backing towards leg. Preston McSween is a left arm seamer who really can swing the ball, a rarity in West Indies cricket. There might not be that much swing on offer in the UAE but if there is he will exploit it. Another one who swings the ball both ways and has really good control is Jamaican pacer Marquino Mindley. He's a right armer with decent enough pace without being express.

To sum up our squad, I don't think this years lot are good enough to challenge for the title, mainly because of the batting. However, there will be some serious bowling talent on display so I'm hoping they can make it through the group stages and I'll get to watch a match or two on TV.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
lol Kippax

Some footage of the SA u19 v England u19 series earlier in 2013

GREG OLDFIELD

SeamUp

International Coach
My lowdown on the West Indies squad. It hasn't been selected yet but we pretty much know who the main players to look out for are:

Batting: Many fans and experts in the Caribbean are saying this is the weakest Under 19 batting group we have had for some time. The best of the lot would seem to be Jeremy Solozano, a left handed opening batsman from T & T. I haven't seen much of him but he's apparently a solid left handed batsman who can occupy the crease for a long time. Then there is Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Shiv's son. He is a promising young left hander who can bat forever if you let him, much like his dad. He doesn't have the fastest scoring rate though so he's not ideally suited to Limited Overs cricket. Finally, there's Nicholas Pooran, who is a left handed wicket keeper batsman who gives the ball a real smack. He's been dubbed the closest thing we've had to Adam Gilchrist in Trinidad but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Here's a video of him smacking it around on his T20 debut.

Bowling: In contrast to the batting, the powers that be are delighted with the amount of bowling talent we have at our disposal, particularly the fast bowlers. Ray Jordan has serious pace for a 19 year old, he is a real tearaway right arm fast bowler. He had a lot of the domestic Under 19 guys backing towards leg. Preston McSween is a left arm seamer who really can swing the ball, a rarity in West Indies cricket. There might not be that much swing on offer in the UAE but if there is he will exploit it. Another one who swings the ball both ways and has really good control is Jamaican pacer Marquino Mindley. He's a right armer with decent enough pace without being express.

To sum up our squad, I don't think this years lot are good enough to challenge for the title, mainly because of the batting. However, there will be some serious bowling talent on display so I'm hoping they can make it through the group stages and I'll get to watch a match or two on TV.
Cheers for that Beamer. Recent events in Bangladesh have been a touch unsavoury for the lads. Hope it doesn't effect any of them down the line.

Saw a bit of Pooran in the Champions League and Bish certainly talked him up. So should be a good first game between your boys and mine.

91Jmay

International Coach
Watched a lot of the England/Pakistan U19 series in our summer. Seems we just constantly produce technically good players but they lack any potential to play big shots or do anything out of the ordinary with the ball. Tattersall seems to consistently score a lot of runs though. Another Yorkshire lad as well, they have produced a lot of good talent recently.

Rob Jones the young legspinner though will be interesting to watch though.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Cheers for that Beamer. Recent events in Bangladesh have been a touch unsavoury for the lads. Hope it doesn't effect any of them down the line.

Saw a bit of Pooran in the Champions League and Bish certainly talked him up. So should be a good first game between your boys and mine.
Cheers! It was a shame they had to go home as those games were important preparation. Yep SA v Windies Under 19 encounters are usually very close and competitive so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pooran is certainly a talent but I've been disappointed before so I'm not going to talk him up too much! Any young tearaways amongst your lot? Watching the young fast bowlers is one of my favourite things about the Under 19 World Cup.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cheers! It was a shame they had to go home as those games were important preparation. Yep SA v Windies Under 19 encounters are usually very close and competitive so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pooran is certainly a talent but I've been disappointed before so I'm not going to talk him up too much! Any young tearaways amongst your lot? Watching the young fast bowlers is one of my favourite things about the Under 19 World Cup.
It looks like our game is at the Dubai International Cricket stadium so good chance it will be televised on the opening day. :)

I reckon I will comment more on our squad in a couple weeks time but there are a few certainties.

With regards to an exciting quick to watch for us. Watch Kagiso Rabada. Big raps on him and already training with the Lions franchise. He is sharp ! But very raw still. I know a lot of people are excited about him.

Can see him bowling right-arm in the Kishen Velani clip above.

EDIT: That Ray Jordan, got that fizz through with such a chilled run up. Awesome !

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his ***y Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Watched a lot of the England/Pakistan U19 series in our summer. Seems we just constantly produce technically good players but they lack any potential to play big shots or do anything out of the ordinary with the ball. Tattersall seems to consistently score a lot of runs though. Another Yorkshire lad as well, they have produced a lot of good talent recently.

Rob Jones the young legspinner though will be interesting to watch though.
5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.

91Jmay

International Coach
Another player of note will be Dominic Sibley for England. He got quite big headlines for his 242 against a good Yorkshire bowling line up (Sidebottom, Rashid, Brooks) in CC, sharing a big partnership with Hashim Amla who was very impressed.

91Jmay

International Coach
5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.
Yeah the English conditions really inhibit us developing a variety of players. We don't generally produce expressive batsmen (KP and Prior are the two who normally would be considered quick run scorers in the current side and KP learnt most of his game in South Africa obviously) and our bowlers learn quickly that pace is not important at all in most English grounds compared with pitching it up, seaming/swinging it and presenting a good seam so they often are found wanting in other countries.

SeamUp

International Coach
No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his ***y Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.
Was actually looking at your guys domestic set-up the other day. Quite a few of the 2012 WC squad are playing FC cricket already.

3rd Place Play-off: New Zealand Under-19s v South Africa Under-19s at Townsville, Aug 25, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

New Zealand Under-19s Squad | ICC Under-19 World Cup, 2012 | Cricket Squads | ESPN Cricinfo

Joe Carter
Will Young
Jacob Duffy
Cam Fletcher
Robert O'Donnell
Matthew Quinn
Ish Sodhi
Henry Walsh