Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: **Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

**Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

Would imagine India and Pakistan start as huge huge favourites in the conditions we will face let alone their good records at this level. But they have been grouped with each other.

The Under-19 World Cup will kick off in the UAE on February 14, with England, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies scheduled for action on the opening day. Defending champions India will open their campaign against two-time winners Pakistan the next day.

The tournament features 16 teams divided into four groups and the top two would progress to the quarter-finals. The other two teams from each group will compete in the Plate Championship quarter-finals.

Angelo Mathews, the Sri Lanka captain, considered the under-19 world cup to be an important stepping stone for young players. "Having played in a couple of ICC U19 Cricket World Cups, I can tell you that this is the best stage for any raw talent to polish his skills and see if he's worthy enough of progressing to the biggest stage of them all - international cricket at the senior level," he said.

Afghanistan, Canada, Namibia, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, United Arab Emirates and the 10 Full Member nations will compete in 48 matches, which will be staged across seven venues in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Dubai.
    Group A: India, Pakistan, Scotland, Papua New Guinea
    Group B: Australia, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Namibia
    Group C: South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Canada
    Group D: New Zealand, England, Sri Lanka, UAE

Suppose we can chat about expected squads. Current games. Highly rated players expected in each teams etc.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 14-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Yeah, India have that air of "bitches please, we play and train with superstars in the IPL" this time imo.

Fixtures | Cricket Schedule, Fixtures and Matches | ICC Cricket

Last edited by Kippax; 14-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Flem274* likes this.

My lowdown on the West Indies squad. It hasn't been selected yet but we pretty much know who the main players to look out for are:

Batting: Many fans and experts in the Caribbean are saying this is the weakest Under 19 batting group we have had for some time. The best of the lot would seem to be Jeremy Solozano, a left handed opening batsman from T & T. I haven't seen much of him but he's apparently a solid left handed batsman who can occupy the crease for a long time. Then there is Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Shiv's son. He is a promising young left hander who can bat forever if you let him, much like his dad. He doesn't have the fastest scoring rate though so he's not ideally suited to Limited Overs cricket. Finally, there's Nicholas Pooran, who is a left handed wicket keeper batsman who gives the ball a real smack. He's been dubbed the closest thing we've had to Adam Gilchrist in Trinidad but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Here's a video of him smacking it around on his T20 debut.

Bowling: In contrast to the batting, the powers that be are delighted with the amount of bowling talent we have at our disposal, particularly the fast bowlers. Ray Jordan has serious pace for a 19 year old, he is a real tearaway right arm fast bowler. He had a lot of the domestic Under 19 guys backing towards leg. Preston McSween is a left arm seamer who really can swing the ball, a rarity in West Indies cricket. There might not be that much swing on offer in the UAE but if there is he will exploit it. Another one who swings the ball both ways and has really good control is Jamaican pacer Marquino Mindley. He's a right armer with decent enough pace without being express.

To sum up our squad, I don't think this years lot are good enough to challenge for the title, mainly because of the batting. However, there will be some serious bowling talent on display so I'm hoping they can make it through the group stages and I'll get to watch a match or two on TV.
    Last edited by Beamer; 14-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.

lol Kippax

Some footage of the SA u19 v England u19 series earlier in 2013

GREG OLDFIELD

CLYDE FORTUIN

NGAZIBINI SIGWILI

JONNY TATTERSALL OF ENGLAND

BEN DUCKETT (Hopefully fitness issues are forgotten)

KISHEN VELANI (Likewise Duckett)

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    My lowdown on the West Indies squad. It hasn't been selected yet but we pretty much know who the main players to look out for are:

Batting: Many fans and experts in the Caribbean are saying this is the weakest Under 19 batting group we have had for some time. The best of the lot would seem to be Jeremy Solozano, a left handed opening batsman from T & T. I haven't seen much of him but he's apparently a solid left handed batsman who can occupy the crease for a long time. Then there is Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Shiv's son. He is a promising young left hander who can bat forever if you let him, much like his dad. He doesn't have the fastest scoring rate though so he's not ideally suited to Limited Overs cricket. Finally, there's Nicholas Pooran, who is a left handed wicket keeper batsman who gives the ball a real smack. He's been dubbed the closest thing we've had to Adam Gilchrist in Trinidad but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Here's a video of him smacking it around on his T20 debut.

Bowling: In contrast to the batting, the powers that be are delighted with the amount of bowling talent we have at our disposal, particularly the fast bowlers. Ray Jordan has serious pace for a 19 year old, he is a real tearaway right arm fast bowler. He had a lot of the domestic Under 19 guys backing towards leg. Preston McSween is a left arm seamer who really can swing the ball, a rarity in West Indies cricket. There might not be that much swing on offer in the UAE but if there is he will exploit it. Another one who swings the ball both ways and has really good control is Jamaican pacer Marquino Mindley. He's a right armer with decent enough pace without being express.

To sum up our squad, I don't think this years lot are good enough to challenge for the title, mainly because of the batting. However, there will be some serious bowling talent on display so I'm hoping they can make it through the group stages and I'll get to watch a match or two on TV.
    Cheers for that Beamer. Recent events in Bangladesh have been a touch unsavoury for the lads. Hope it doesn't effect any of them down the line.

Saw a bit of Pooran in the Champions League and Bish certainly talked him up. So should be a good first game between your boys and mine.

WICB video of Ray Jordan bowling in Bangladesh. Pace like fiyah!
    Last edited by Beamer; 14-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.

International Debutant
    Watched a lot of the England/Pakistan U19 series in our summer. Seems we just constantly produce technically good players but they lack any potential to play big shots or do anything out of the ordinary with the ball. Tattersall seems to consistently score a lot of runs though. Another Yorkshire lad as well, they have produced a lot of good talent recently.

Rob Jones the young legspinner though will be interesting to watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Cheers for that Beamer. Recent events in Bangladesh have been a touch unsavoury for the lads. Hope it doesn't effect any of them down the line.

Saw a bit of Pooran in the Champions League and Bish certainly talked him up. So should be a good first game between your boys and mine.
    Cheers! It was a shame they had to go home as those games were important preparation. Yep SA v Windies Under 19 encounters are usually very close and competitive so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pooran is certainly a talent but I've been disappointed before so I'm not going to talk him up too much! Any young tearaways amongst your lot? Watching the young fast bowlers is one of my favourite things about the Under 19 World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Cheers! It was a shame they had to go home as those games were important preparation. Yep SA v Windies Under 19 encounters are usually very close and competitive so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pooran is certainly a talent but I've been disappointed before so I'm not going to talk him up too much! Any young tearaways amongst your lot? Watching the young fast bowlers is one of my favourite things about the Under 19 World Cup.
    It looks like our game is at the Dubai International Cricket stadium so good chance it will be televised on the opening day.

I reckon I will comment more on our squad in a couple weeks time but there are a few certainties.

With regards to an exciting quick to watch for us. Watch Kagiso Rabada. Big raps on him and already training with the Lions franchise. He is sharp ! But very raw still. I know a lot of people are excited about him.

Can see him bowling right-arm in the Kishen Velani clip above.

EDIT: That Ray Jordan, got that fizz through with such a chilled run up. Awesome !
    Last edited by SeamUp; 14-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information