• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
With regards to an exciting quick to watch for us. Watch Kagiso Rabada. Big raps on him and already training with the Lions franchise. He is sharp ! But very raw still. I know a lot of people are excited about him.

Can see him bowling right-arm in the Kishen Velani clip above.

EDIT: That Ray Jordan, got that fizz through with such a chilled run up. Awesome !
I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
Yeah, I can see it. Looks more than a bit dodgy to me. But then again, it's one angle (and not a great one to judge from) of one ball and having to try and pause at the right place is rather unscientific.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It looks like our game is at the Dubai International Cricket stadium so good chance it will be televised on the opening day. :)
South Africa U19 VS West Indies U19
Match 4, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
February 14th 2014
6:00am GMT

India U19 VS Pakistan U19
Match 7, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
February 15th 2014

England U19 VS Sri Lanka U19
Match 12, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
February 16th 2014

India U19 VS Scotland U19
Match 15, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
February 17th 2014

New Zealand U19 VS England U19
Match 20, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
February 18th 2014

SeamUp

International Coach
I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

Definitely. Think it needs to be decided if it is a legal sling type action or not. A lot of young bowlers get tested at these events. Two of our bowlers from the last world cup had to be tested also.

Rabada certainly has wheels. Just hope he isn't rushed to soon. Our u19 coach, Ray Jennings, says he is a unique talent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Inevitably going to be a tough ask for the English boys in alien conditions; little experience of turning decks, hot weather and with two of the established batsmen failing to meet fitness standards, I get the feeling that anything would be a bonus.

Personally hoping that Miles Hammond puts up a good showing for Oxfordshire; long time since we had a lad in England colours.

SeamUp

International Coach
1998 Under 19 world cup squads in South Africa

* bold successful/decent (game wise too) FC careers or internationals

AUSTRALIA

Scott Kremerskothen, Michael Klinger, Lachlan Stevens, James Hopes, Marcus North, Ben Oliver, Dom Thornely , Tim Anderson, Chris Davies, Mick Miller, Shannon Tubb, Sean Clingeleffer , Steve Busbridge, Michael Johnston

ENGLAND

Stephen Peters, Rob Key, Owais Shah, Chris Schofield, Paul Franks, Graeme Swann, Giles Haywood, Jamie Grove, Nicholas Wilton, Jonathan Powell, Graham Napier, Michael Gough , Richard Logan , Ian Flanagan

INDIA

Mohammed Kaif, Reetinder Sodhi, Sathiamoorty Saravanan , Amit Pagnis , Arvind Solanki, Sreekumar Nair , Shibsagar Singh , Laxmi Shukla , Rajashekar Shanbal , Virender Sehwag , Amit Bhandari , Harbhajan Singh

NEW ZEALAND

James Marshall , David Kelly , James Franklin , Lou Vincent , Peter Ingram , Peter McGlashan , Jarrod Englefield , Hamish Marshall , Regan West , Kyle Mills , Michael Hendry , Richard Harkness , Bruce Martin , Tim Anderson

PAKISTAN

Inam Ul-Haq , Hasan Raza , Bazid Khan , Saeed Anwar , Abdul Razzaq , Majid Jahangir , Humayun Farhat , Waqas Ahmed , Shoaib Malik , Zaheer Khan , Imran Tahir , Jannisar Khan , Zahid Saeed

SOUTH AFRICA

Morne van Wyk , Jon Kent , Michael Lumb , Grant Elliott , Matthew Street , Murray Creed , Andrew Gait , Johann Myburgh , Robin Peterson , Jacques Rudolph , Victor Mpitsang , Gulam Bodi , Wasfie Samsodien , Donovan Henry

SRI LANKA

Pradeep Hewage , Upheka Fernando , Chamara Silva , Chamara de Soysa , Naren Rattwatte , Prasanna Jayawardene , Malinga Bandara , Malintha Gajanayake , Romesh Fernando , Nisitha Rupasinghe , Arshad Junaid , Ranga Dias , Sanjaya Rodrigo , Thilina Kandamby

WEST INDIES

Chris Gayle , Ramnaresh Sarwan , Ryan Hinds , Darren Ganga , Marlon Graham , Kenroy Martin , Sylvester Joseph , Stephen John , Navin Chan , Marlon Samuels , Homchand Pooran , Asif Jan , Wade Allen , Ryan Best

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.
More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.
iirc Barnard scored a hundred in youth test against SA earlier in the year to.

Got to agree, always good to see smaller counties or provinces producing players.

Like Neil Pickup also mentions Hammond from Oxford also.

Currently England u19s on the go... Eng19 175/8 (43.0 ov, RJ Sayer 31*, Kamran Ghulam 1/17) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Flem274*

123/5
Wow that 1998 kiwi side has a bunch of almost cricketers in it. Vincent, Franklin and Hamish Marshall all established themselves for a time before fading away. Only Mills went on to be a world class player and that was only in ODIs.

SeamUp

International Coach
2000 Under 19 world cup squads in Sri Lanka

AUSTRALIA

Shane Watson , Ed Cowan , Matthew Baker , Shaun Marsh , Nathan Hauritz , Andrew McDonald , Liam Buchanan , Tim Welsford , Michael Clarke , Mitchell Johnson , Aaron O'Brien , Paul Rofe , Chris Hartley , Glen Batticciotto

ENGLAND

Gary Pratt , Ian Pattison , Michael Carberry , Jon Maunders , Tim Murtagh , Jimmy Adams , Mark Wallace , Ian Bell , Tim Phillips , Alex Loudon , Graeme Bridge , David Harrison , Nick Warren , Justin Bishop

INDIA

Niraj Patel , Manish Sharma , Ravneet Ricky , Mohammed Kaif , Yuvraj Singh , Reetinder Sodhi , Ajay Ratra , Venugopal Rao , Mritunjay Tripathi , Shalabh Srivastava , Anup Dave

NEW ZEALAND

James Franklin , Jonathan McNamee , Jamie How , Rob Lynch , Brendan McCullum , Gareth Irwin , Taraia Robin , Nick Horsley , Nathan McCullum , Gareth Shaw , Ian Butler , Leighton Morgan , Shannan Stewart , Gareth Hayne , Glen Forgie

PAKISTAN

Faisal Iqbal , Taufeeq Umar , Hamayun Farhat , Ashar Zaidi , Hasan Raza , Yasir Arafat , Babar Naeem , Imran Nazir , Danish Kaneria , Irfan Fazil , Imran Farhat , Jannisar Khan , Zahid Saeed , Mohammad Sami

SOUTH AFRICA

Graeme Smith , Jacques Rudolph , Jonathan Trott , Thami Tsolekile, Andrew Puttick , Johann Myburgh , Umar Abrahams , Dumisa Makalima , Johan Botha , Rivash Gobind , Dewald Senekal , Albie Morkel , Andre Abrahams , Zweli Homani

SRI LANKA

Ian Daniel , Rashan Peiris , Malintha Gajanayake , Jehan Mubarak , Muthumudalige Pushpakumara , Thilina Kandamy , Ranil Dhammika , Kaushal Lokuarachchi , Kaushalya Weeraratne , Akalanka Ganegama , Prabath Nissanka , Mevan Fernando , Umal Irandika , Chamara Lasantha

WEST INDIES

Camilus Alexander , Ryan Hinds , Marlon Samuels , Andrew Richardson , Carlitos Lopez , Brenton Parchment , Narsingh Deonarine , Zaheer Ali , Kurt Wilkinson , Sewnarine Chattergoon , Jermaine Lawson , Greg Francois , Rodney Sooklal , Keon Peters

SeamUp

International Coach
Remember the 14 year-old test debutant Hazan Raza ? I see he played in both the 1998 and 2000 under 19 world cups and is still playing first class cricket to this day !

brockley

International Captain
ICC qipped on a Associate Qualifier this year,done in regional divisions,and UAE got in cause their hosts,somewhat like Kenya did 1 year.
Most the Aussie players we're poor in the national championships this year,could be an almost new team,Jake Doran will be there tho had a great tournament.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Cheers for that Beamer. Recent events in Bangladesh have been a touch unsavoury for the lads. Hope it doesn't effect any of them down the line.
It is easy to understand why the WICB decided to withdraw from BD particularly as it was the youth team, even though the players nor the game were ever likely to get directly involved in the turmoil. The violence was due to political unrest which takes place at this time every election year. It was an unfortunate situation; a case of wrong place, wrong time rather than a terrorist attack. The tour should never have been scheduled at this time in the first place. Hopefully the situation defuses before the Sri Lanka series.

On topic, I was actually thinking about this tournament yesterday and didn't realise how soon it was going to start. Bangladesh are always perennial under achievers in this tournament. Last time they lost to hosts and eventual runners up, Australia in the quarter-finals. Whilst that was no disgrace, they did then lost the 5th Place Play-off Semi-Final against England, a team that they had recently beaten 7-3 on aggregate.

This year's team seems to be a young and inexperienced side compared to previous sides.
The two standout players are also the most experienced in the team: Mosaddek Hossain (Saikat), a middle order batsman and Jubair Hossain, a promising leg-spinner.
Saikat is an aggressive batsman in the mould of Nasir Hossain. Like Nasir, he made his name with the team Abahani in the Dhaka Premier League, where he was one of the top performers at a young age. Like most Bangladeshi middle order batsmen he also bowls useful spin.
Jubair has took a lot of wickets at this level including a hat-trick against the West Indies. He could prove to be crucial as a strike bowler if the conditions in the UAE are spin friendly because the pacers in this team are very ordinary, like their predecessors.
If all goes well and the conditions are favourable then this side could be potential dark horses; if they manage to qualify for the knock-out stages (provided they beat Afghanistan) and get a kind draw (not one of the sub continent teams) then they could do one better than last time and reach the semi-finals.

Last edited: