Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: **Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his sexy Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 14-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Watched a lot of the England/Pakistan U19 series in our summer. Seems we just constantly produce technically good players but they lack any potential to play big shots or do anything out of the ordinary with the ball. Tattersall seems to consistently score a lot of runs though. Another Yorkshire lad as well, they have produced a lot of good talent recently.

Rob Jones the young legspinner though will be interesting to watch though.
    5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.

International Regular
    Another player of note will be Dominic Sibley for England. He got quite big headlines for his 242 against a good Yorkshire bowling line up (Sidebottom, Rashid, Brooks) in CC, sharing a big partnership with Hashim Amla who was very impressed.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.
    Yeah the English conditions really inhibit us developing a variety of players. We don't generally produce expressive batsmen (KP and Prior are the two who normally would be considered quick run scorers in the current side and KP learnt most of his game in South Africa obviously) and our bowlers learn quickly that pace is not important at all in most English grounds compared with pitching it up, seaming/swinging it and presenting a good seam so they often are found wanting in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his sexy Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.
    Was actually looking at your guys domestic set-up the other day. Quite a few of the 2012 WC squad are playing FC cricket already.

3rd Place Play-off: New Zealand Under-19s v South Africa Under-19s at Townsville, Aug 25, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

New Zealand Under-19s Squad | ICC Under-19 World Cup, 2012 | Cricket Squads | ESPN Cricinfo

Joe Carter
    Will Young
    Jacob Duffy
    Cam Fletcher
    Robert O'Donnell
    Matthew Quinn
    Ish Sodhi
    Henry Walsh

With regards to an exciting quick to watch for us. Watch Kagiso Rabada. Big raps on him and already training with the Lions franchise. He is sharp ! But very raw still. I know a lot of people are excited about him.

Can see him bowling right-arm in the Kishen Velani clip above.

EDIT: That Ray Jordan, got that fizz through with such a chilled run up. Awesome !
    I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
    Last edited by Beamer; 14-12-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
    Yeah, I can see it. Looks more than a bit dodgy to me. But then again, it's one angle (and not a great one to judge from) of one ball and having to try and pause at the right place is rather unscientific.

It looks like our game is at the Dubai International Cricket stadium so good chance it will be televised on the opening day.
    South Africa U19 VS West Indies U19
    Match 4, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 14th 2014
    6:00am GMT

India U19 VS Pakistan U19
    Match 7, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 15th 2014

England U19 VS Sri Lanka U19
    Match 12, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 16th 2014

India U19 VS Scotland U19
    Match 15, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 17th 2014

New Zealand U19 VS England U19
    Match 20, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 18th 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

Definitely. Think it needs to be decided if it is a legal sling type action or not. A lot of young bowlers get tested at these events. Two of our bowlers from the last world cup had to be tested also.

Rabada certainly has wheels. Just hope he isn't rushed to soon. Our u19 coach, Ray Jennings, says he is a unique talent.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Inevitably going to be a tough ask for the English boys in alien conditions; little experience of turning decks, hot weather and with two of the established batsmen failing to meet fitness standards, I get the feeling that anything would be a bonus.

Personally hoping that Miles Hammond puts up a good showing for Oxfordshire; long time since we had a lad in England colours.

1998 Under 19 world cup squads in South Africa

* bold successful/decent (game wise too) FC careers or internationals

AUSTRALIA

Scott Kremerskothen, Michael Klinger, Lachlan Stevens, James Hopes, Marcus North, Ben Oliver, Dom Thornely , Tim Anderson, Chris Davies, Mick Miller, Shannon Tubb, Sean Clingeleffer , Steve Busbridge, Michael Johnston

ENGLAND

Stephen Peters, Rob Key, Owais Shah, Chris Schofield, Paul Franks, Graeme Swann, Giles Haywood, Jamie Grove, Nicholas Wilton, Jonathan Powell, Graham Napier, Michael Gough , Richard Logan , Ian Flanagan

INDIA

Mohammed Kaif, Reetinder Sodhi, Sathiamoorty Saravanan , Amit Pagnis , Arvind Solanki, Sreekumar Nair , Shibsagar Singh , Laxmi Shukla , Rajashekar Shanbal , Virender Sehwag , Amit Bhandari , Harbhajan Singh

NEW ZEALAND

James Marshall , David Kelly , James Franklin , Lou Vincent , Peter Ingram , Peter McGlashan , Jarrod Englefield , Hamish Marshall , Regan West , Kyle Mills , Michael Hendry , Richard Harkness , Bruce Martin , Tim Anderson

PAKISTAN

Inam Ul-Haq , Hasan Raza , Bazid Khan , Saeed Anwar , Abdul Razzaq , Majid Jahangir , Humayun Farhat , Waqas Ahmed , Shoaib Malik , Zaheer Khan , Imran Tahir , Jannisar Khan , Zahid Saeed

SOUTH AFRICA

Morne van Wyk , Jon Kent , Michael Lumb , Grant Elliott , Matthew Street , Murray Creed , Andrew Gait , Johann Myburgh , Robin Peterson , Jacques Rudolph , Victor Mpitsang , Gulam Bodi , Wasfie Samsodien , Donovan Henry

SRI LANKA

Pradeep Hewage , Upheka Fernando , Chamara Silva , Chamara de Soysa , Naren Rattwatte , Prasanna Jayawardene , Malinga Bandara , Malintha Gajanayake , Romesh Fernando , Nisitha Rupasinghe , Arshad Junaid , Ranga Dias , Sanjaya Rodrigo , Thilina Kandamby

WEST INDIES

Chris Gayle , Ramnaresh Sarwan , Ryan Hinds , Darren Ganga , Marlon Graham , Kenroy Martin , Sylvester Joseph , Stephen John , Navin Chan , Marlon Samuels , Homchand Pooran , Asif Jan , Wade Allen , Ryan Best
    Last edited by SeamUp; 15-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar

More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 15-12-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.
    iirc Barnard scored a hundred in youth test against SA earlier in the year to.

Got to agree, always good to see smaller counties or provinces producing players.

Like Neil Pickup also mentions Hammond from Oxford also.

Currently England u19s on the go... Eng19 175/8 (43.0 ov, RJ Sayer 31*, Kamran Ghulam 1/17) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

State Vice-Captain
    No Ireland? Surely that's a bit disappointing for their development.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Wow that 1998 kiwi side has a bunch of almost cricketers in it. Vincent, Franklin and Hamish Marshall all established themselves for a time before fading away. Only Mills went on to be a world class player and that was only in ODIs.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information