Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 386
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: **Official** Under -19 World Cup 2014

  1. #16
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his sexy Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

    Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 14-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #17
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Watched a lot of the England/Pakistan U19 series in our summer. Seems we just constantly produce technically good players but they lack any potential to play big shots or do anything out of the ordinary with the ball. Tattersall seems to consistently score a lot of runs though. Another Yorkshire lad as well, they have produced a lot of good talent recently.

    Rob Jones the young legspinner though will be interesting to watch though.
    5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

    Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

    But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.

  3. #18
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,328
    Another player of note will be Dominic Sibley for England. He got quite big headlines for his 242 against a good Yorkshire bowling line up (Sidebottom, Rashid, Brooks) in CC, sharing a big partnership with Hashim Amla who was very impressed.

  4. #19
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,328
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

    Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

    But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.
    Yeah the English conditions really inhibit us developing a variety of players. We don't generally produce expressive batsmen (KP and Prior are the two who normally would be considered quick run scorers in the current side and KP learnt most of his game in South Africa obviously) and our bowlers learn quickly that pace is not important at all in most English grounds compared with pitching it up, seaming/swinging it and presenting a good seam so they often are found wanting in other countries.


  5. #20
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    No one in the kiwi team is getting heralded as the Next Crowe, Next Cairns or Next Bond in the media so it's probably a fair bit weaker than the ridiculous 2008 team we sent (Williamson, Anderson, Southee and Boult with Rutherford and Bracewell as squad members plus a host of current FC cricketers), but then the 2010 side produced good players as well despite not being drooled over before the tournament (Anderson, Bracewell, Latham, Neesham and again plenty of promising FC cricketers). Rakitha Weerasundara gets a lot of press on here because of his sexy Guptill-esque straight drives, and Dane Watson looks to be a good spinner for his age. A couple of the seamers in the video above caught my eye as decent so hopefully we can put in a respeactable performance but the 2008 and 2010 sides would thrash them imo. I think this team is closer in standard to the last one we sent which only had a few promising players due to the likes of Adam Milne and Matt Henry missing the age cut off.

    Actually I might go check how old Jacob Duffy will be for this one. He's still in his teens iirc but his Otago commitments might prevent him from going.
    Was actually looking at your guys domestic set-up the other day. Quite a few of the 2012 WC squad are playing FC cricket already.

    3rd Place Play-off: New Zealand Under-19s v South Africa Under-19s at Townsville, Aug 25, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

    New Zealand Under-19s Squad | ICC Under-19 World Cup, 2012 | Cricket Squads | ESPN Cricinfo

    Joe Carter
    Will Young
    Jacob Duffy
    Cam Fletcher
    Robert O'Donnell
    Matthew Quinn
    Ish Sodhi
    Henry Walsh

  6. #21
    State Vice-Captain Beamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    With regards to an exciting quick to watch for us. Watch Kagiso Rabada. Big raps on him and already training with the Lions franchise. He is sharp ! But very raw still. I know a lot of people are excited about him.

    Can see him bowling right-arm in the Kishen Velani clip above.

    EDIT: That Ray Jordan, got that fizz through with such a chilled run up. Awesome !
    I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

    I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
    Last edited by Beamer; 14-12-2013 at 06:27 PM.

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
    Yeah, I can see it. Looks more than a bit dodgy to me. But then again, it's one angle (and not a great one to judge from) of one ball and having to try and pause at the right place is rather unscientific.

  8. #23
    International Regular Kippax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Districts
    Posts
    3,676
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    It looks like our game is at the Dubai International Cricket stadium so good chance it will be televised on the opening day.
    South Africa U19 VS West Indies U19
    Match 4, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 14th 2014
    6:00am GMT

    India U19 VS Pakistan U19
    Match 7, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 15th 2014
    6:00am GMT

    England U19 VS Sri Lanka U19
    Match 12, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 16th 2014
    6:00am GMT

    India U19 VS Scotland U19
    Match 15, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 17th 2014
    6:00am GMT

    New Zealand U19 VS England U19
    Match 20, Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.
    February 18th 2014
    6:00am GMT
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

  9. #24
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I really really hope it's on TV, I'd love to watch some of these players in some detail. Liking those glimpses of Kagiso Rabada, some seriously awkward bounce there from a loping action. Good stuff!

    I'm a bit worried about Jordan's action. That video shows unbelievable pace, certainly one of the fastest deliveries I've ever seen at that level on a slow low Bangladesh pitch. But I have a horrible feeling his action might be suspect. If you manage to pause it in his delivery stride you might see what I mean. It might be ok, who knows, but I hope the WICB have done some video analysis on him before selecting him for the World Cup, we really don't need another Jermaine Lawson situation on our hands.
    Definitely. Think it needs to be decided if it is a legal sling type action or not. A lot of young bowlers get tested at these events. Two of our bowlers from the last world cup had to be tested also.

    Rabada certainly has wheels. Just hope he isn't rushed to soon. Our u19 coach, Ray Jennings, says he is a unique talent.

  10. #25
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,864
    Inevitably going to be a tough ask for the English boys in alien conditions; little experience of turning decks, hot weather and with two of the established batsmen failing to meet fitness standards, I get the feeling that anything would be a bonus.

    Personally hoping that Miles Hammond puts up a good showing for Oxfordshire; long time since we had a lad in England colours.

  11. #26
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,652
    1998 Under 19 world cup squads in South Africa

    * bold successful/decent (game wise too) FC careers or internationals


    AUSTRALIA

    Scott Kremerskothen, Michael Klinger, Lachlan Stevens, James Hopes, Marcus North, Ben Oliver, Dom Thornely , Tim Anderson, Chris Davies, Mick Miller, Shannon Tubb, Sean Clingeleffer , Steve Busbridge, Michael Johnston

    ENGLAND

    Stephen Peters, Rob Key, Owais Shah, Chris Schofield, Paul Franks, Graeme Swann, Giles Haywood, Jamie Grove, Nicholas Wilton, Jonathan Powell, Graham Napier, Michael Gough , Richard Logan , Ian Flanagan

    INDIA

    Mohammed Kaif, Reetinder Sodhi, Sathiamoorty Saravanan , Amit Pagnis , Arvind Solanki, Sreekumar Nair , Shibsagar Singh , Laxmi Shukla , Rajashekar Shanbal , Virender Sehwag , Amit Bhandari , Harbhajan Singh

    NEW ZEALAND

    James Marshall , David Kelly , James Franklin , Lou Vincent , Peter Ingram , Peter McGlashan , Jarrod Englefield , Hamish Marshall , Regan West , Kyle Mills , Michael Hendry , Richard Harkness , Bruce Martin , Tim Anderson

    PAKISTAN

    Inam Ul-Haq , Hasan Raza , Bazid Khan , Saeed Anwar , Abdul Razzaq , Majid Jahangir , Humayun Farhat , Waqas Ahmed , Shoaib Malik , Zaheer Khan , Imran Tahir , Jannisar Khan , Zahid Saeed

    SOUTH AFRICA

    Morne van Wyk , Jon Kent , Michael Lumb , Grant Elliott , Matthew Street , Murray Creed , Andrew Gait , Johann Myburgh , Robin Peterson , Jacques Rudolph , Victor Mpitsang , Gulam Bodi , Wasfie Samsodien , Donovan Henry

    SRI LANKA

    Pradeep Hewage , Upheka Fernando , Chamara Silva , Chamara de Soysa , Naren Rattwatte , Prasanna Jayawardene , Malinga Bandara , Malintha Gajanayake , Romesh Fernando , Nisitha Rupasinghe , Arshad Junaid , Ranga Dias , Sanjaya Rodrigo , Thilina Kandamby

    WEST INDIES

    Chris Gayle , Ramnaresh Sarwan , Ryan Hinds , Darren Ganga , Marlon Graham , Kenroy Martin , Sylvester Joseph , Stephen John , Navin Chan , Marlon Samuels , Homchand Pooran , Asif Jan , Wade Allen , Ryan Best
    Last edited by SeamUp; 15-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.

  12. #27
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,931
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    5 Yorkshireman I think in the 16-man squad currently in the UAE. Like a factory.

    Know what you mean though. It is tough because you want to promote technically sound batsmen. As a youngster growing up in conditions where they test you it is vital. You get taught not to give your wicket away and a lot of fear failure is maybe involved.

    But when one thinks of it, there is x-facor but also players who realise they just need to hit extensions of normal cricket shots to go to the next gear.
    More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

    Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 15-12-2013 at 05:27 AM.

  13. #28
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    More surprisingly there are 2 lads from Shropshire in the squad in Barnard and Clarke. Not bad for such a small minor county.

    Barnard's dad played for Shropshire when they beat Yorkshire in the Natwest in 84.
    iirc Barnard scored a hundred in youth test against SA earlier in the year to.

    Got to agree, always good to see smaller counties or provinces producing players.

    Like Neil Pickup also mentions Hammond from Oxford also.

    Currently England u19s on the go... Eng19 175/8 (43.0 ov, RJ Sayer 31*, Kamran Ghulam 1/17) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

  14. #29
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,209
    No Ireland? Surely that's a bit disappointing for their development.

  15. #30
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Wow that 1998 kiwi side has a bunch of almost cricketers in it. Vincent, Franklin and Hamish Marshall all established themselves for a time before fading away. Only Mills went on to be a world class player and that was only in ODIs.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* NRL 2014
    By uvelocity in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 562
    Last Post: 20-10-2014, 11:11 PM
  2. ***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014
    By BoyBrumby in forum 2014 Football World Cup - Brazil
    Replies: 790
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 01:23 AM
  3. ***Official*** 2014 Asia Cup
    By Sarun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1006
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM
  4. ***Official*** Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2014
    By Maximas in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 346
    Last Post: 22-02-2014, 08:14 AM
  5. *Official* Road to India in England 2014
    By Spark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •