• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No grill

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
How times have changed. Remember the days back in the 90s and early 2000s (where I grew up) when there were a certain amount of players (maybe 1-3 per side) who did not wear a grill/visor in front of their faces, even against the quicks?
What has happened? Did it just become a compuslory rule for batsmen to have to wear a protective visor in front of their faces, because I don't see it anyomre (ftr, I used to always wear a visor myself when I played).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Late 80s/ early 90s was probably the last generation which grew up without helmets and might have struggled adapting to a face grill.

The current generation would have grown up all their days playing with full face helmets. It's the norm I suppose.

Daemon

Just makes a whole lot of sense to wear one. Some people say it hinders their batting but come on, it's not like the 10 extra runs you score in your sunday club game are worth the risk of getting hit on your face. Maybe if you're a professional and it really does bother you then you might see the risk vs reward differently, but otherwise it doesn't make sense not to put it on.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally never understood it, if you see the need for a helmet, thus acknowledging the risk, why protect your head and leave your face unguarded. If your going to wear a helmet might as well go all in.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
I personally never understood it, if you see the need for a helmet, thus acknowledging the risk, why protect your head and leave your face unguarded. If your going to wear a helmet might as well go all in.
Well I never wore a helmet without the grill myself but it has to be something to do with seeing the ball clearly without something right below your eyes getting in the way of your vision (your focus is on the ball).
Jimmy Adams is a classic example of a guy who never wore a visor in his entire career and got hit in the face in England in 1995. He was never the same afterwards...

Daemon

I might be wrong but I think people generally get hit on the sides of their head a lot more than any other part of their head. Also when people complain about helmets it's usually the grill that's the problem, the helmet itself doesn't really bother them that much from my experience.

uvelocity

International Coach
I might be wrong but I think people generally get hit on the sides of their head a lot more than any other part of their head. Also when people complain about helmets it's usually the grill that's the problem, the helmet itself doesn't really bother them that much from my experience.
because if a b00ncer is coming, it's a natural reaction to turn your head away from the ball, and the temple is the most dangerous part to be sconned on.

personally, i've been hit a couple of times, and in the grille since i started wearing a helmet, but it's due to being a mong and top edging pull shots.

_Ed_

Matt Horne was another who rocked the no-grill look and made it his own.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A cricket ball in the face is unlikely to kill you, just might mess you up.

As someone said, it's the temple and skull that are the dangerous spots.

I've wanted an helmet w/out grill for years but they don't make them any more.

benchmark00

A cricket ball in the face is unlikely to kill you, just might mess you up.

As someone said, it's the temple and skull that are the dangerous spots.

I've wanted an helmet w/out grill for years but they don't make them any more.
You don't buy them without the grill ****. You buy the temple plates separately and screw them on to the sides where the grill attaches.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You don't buy them without the grill ****. You buy the temple plates separately and screw them on to the sides where the grill attaches.
Nah, you can't. Last time I tried they said you can't get the temple plates.

Show me a link where I can buy them from and I'll.....I dunno.....do something that demeans myself or my online persona...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have a gray nicholls helmet and grill - I just can't seem to see the grill when I am batting. I bought a newer helmet (long story) and the grill was really obscuring my view of the ball so I gave the helmet away. If it wasn't for my GN helmet I go grillless.