• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Test Team in 2018

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's grab out our crystal balls and predict our future Test side for say 2018.

1. David Warner
2. Jordan Silk
3. Phil Hughes
4. Chris Lynn
5. Travis Head
6. Steven Smith
7. Jake Doran
8. James Pattinson
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Pat Cummins
11. Nathan Lyon

Sticking my neck out on the line with a few of those calls, but meh :p

morgieb

How close was Bird to your team?
Not that close. As well as the three that I named I think Hazlewood and Siddle (as well as others) would be more likely to make it then him. I rate him but there are better alternatives.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Latham
Jeet Raval
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Will Young
Corey Anderson
BJ Watling
Jimmy Neesham
Ish Sodhi
Tim Southee
Trent Boult

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon our team will be much the same. Taylor and Ryder will be close to the end of their careers.

Jeet Raval
Hamish Rutherford
Kane Williamson (c)
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Corey Anderson
BJ Watling (wk)
Ish Sodhi
Tim Southee
Adam Milne
Trent Boult

Most optimistic pick there is Ryder. If he isn't in then Young or Latham imo.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I can't see Ryder lasting another 5 years. Who knows though.

Would love for Milne to be in the team then, dunno why I picked Neesham there.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook
Robson
Root
Ballance
Bell
Woakes/Taylor/Bairstow
Buttler
Bresnan/Stokes
Broad
Kerrigan/Briggs/Patel
JOverton/Mills/Topley

Would quite like to see something like that. Have no idea really though.
Carberry, Pietersen, Prior, Swann, Anderson will all definitely be gone by then.
No idea who'll replace Swann.
For all the other positions there are a dozen blokes with pretty similar cases for selection - I mean just as an opener you've got the option of moving Root up, bringing in Chopra, blokes like Reece and Lees. Hell, even Compton will only be a year older than Carberry is now.

Mike5181

International Captain
Jeet Raval
Tom Latham
Kane Williamson (c)
Ross Taylor
Will Young
Corey Anderson
BJ Watling (wk)
Ish Sodhi
Tim Southee
Adam Milne
Trent Boult

Daemon

Chand
Pujara
Zol
Kohli
Sharma
Rahane
Tare/Kaul/Rayudu/idk
Ashwin
Ishant/Ojha
Yadav
Shami

nfi about the batting order tbh

Flem274*

123/5
Pujara opening?

And surely Ishant will **** off by then.

Has the makings of a good team though. Might be better overseas than many Indian sides fielded.

Daemon

Pujara opening?

And surely Ishant will **** off by then.

Has the makings of a good team though. Might be better overseas than many Indian sides fielded.
Yeah like I said, nfi about the batting order. In fact one of the openers is likely to be some **** from Tamil Nadu, they have heaps of them. BaaBoi Aparajith might make his way into the side as well.

Ishant will only be ~30 and will have a stellar series against the Windies or Zimbabwe or something, leading to self proclamations that he's finally worked out his bowling for good and is ready to take the burden of being the spearhead for the Indian attack.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well no one else will post a SL team but I will anyway

Dimuth Karunaratne
Kaushal Silva
Lahiru Thirimanne
Dinesh Chandimal (wk)
Kaushal Perera
Kithuruwan Vithanage
Angelo Matthews (c)
Sachithra Seneneyake
Seekkuge Prasanna
Shaminda Eranga
Suranga Lakmal

Went for a 2 spinners line-up with Prasanna being the legspinner, I don't see their fast bowling stocks improving so I thought this would be a safer bet, was a toss up between Nuwan Pradeep and Lakmal but I thought Lakmal had a bit more potential because he can make the ball move a bit more. I highly doubt the opening combination will stay the same for 5 years but I really don't follow SL domestic cricket enough to know who else is in the frame, the middle order picked itself really.

Maybe Sanath Jayasuria will make another comeback in 2018, who knows

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Chand
Pujara
Zol
Kohli
Sharma
Rahane
Tare/Kaul/Rayudu/idk
Ashwin
Ishant/Ojha
Yadav
Shami

nfi about the batting order tbh
It will still be Dhawan with Pujara at 3 instead of Zol.. Jadeja will also be playing at that time instead of Ishant..Agree with rest of the team..

Spark

Global Moderator
If Smith is in the side in 2018 then he'll probably bat 4, being established and all that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jadeja will be dead.

In the most glorious moment in cricket history, Tom Latham will arrive at the crease, block out his first delivery, take a poisoned dart out of his pocket and smash it with his bat straight between Jadeja's eyes.

Jeremy Coney on commentary will declare the end of left arm darts into the pads.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Weerasundera
Raval
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling
Sodhi
Southee
Milne
Boult

Had my first glimpse of Kippax's boi standing on the boundary doing drinks duties. From the way he carried those powerade bottles, you can tell he's gonna be an ATG for New Zealand.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Be half the Yorkshire team in the top 6.

Lees
Cook
Root
Bell
Ballance
Vince
Foakes
Broad
Topley
Overton
Panesar