• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Test Team in 2018

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
They seem to like Elgar, R. Hendricks and Cook as openers but if we talking the future then the initial two would fall in there.
Cook could be there in 2018, but then he'll need to be in the team for at least three years already. Given that Smith is likely to retire circa 2015 - it's possible. It also largely depends on when Petersen gets dropped. But certainly, if they had to pick an opener tomorrow it'd be Elgar and not Cook. Hendricks (both of them) just don't average enough to exit the 'A' team at this time.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Cook could be there in 2018, but then he'll need to be in the team for at least three years already. Given that Smith is likely to retire circa 2015 - it's possible. It also largely depends on when Petersen gets dropped. But certainly, if they had to pick an opener tomorrow it'd be Elgar and not Cook. Hendricks (both of them) just don't average enough to exit the 'A' team at this time.
Graeme is only 32 and recently off a double hundred. He had a crucial operation recently to extend his career and it seems to have relieved his discomfort. I reckon he could carry on longer than 2015 especially if he begins to focus on just test cricket. I think we will find it difficult to replace him as a leader as well.

The selectors like Hendricks, he is better than his average. He has elegance and looks good at the crease and a good technique so I think its all getting over the mental aspects for him now.

Will be interesting to see how these next 5 tests go. Huge for Alviro Petersen.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ganguly did, however, manage to carry himself with a fairly good demeanour despite his episodes of shirt-flinging, keeping the opposition captain waiting at the toss, and the usual tiffs with umpires, curators, coaches and probably everyone else. He was an obvious prick without being too outbursty on the field. What he succeeded in doing well was encapsulating his antics inside the good-mannered bloke image that he created for himself.

The skipper's position in test cricket is a revered one, and it should ideally belong to a man who the rest of the team sees as a father figure. A test captain leaping up high and swearing for no fathomable reason after a ton isn't a sight that I see myself finding a liking to.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly did, however, manage to carry himself with a fairly good demeanour despite his episodes of shirt-flinging, keeping the opposition captain waiting at the toss, and the usual tiffs with umpires, curators, coaches and probably everyone else. He was an obvious prick without being too outbursty on the field. What he succeeded in doing well was encapsulating his antics inside the good-mannered bloke image that he created for himself.

The skipper's position in test cricket is a revered one, and it should ideally belong to a man who the rest of the team sees as a father figure. A test captain leaping up high and swearing for no fathomable reason after a ton isn't a sight that I see myself finding a liking to.
He probably wasn't as arrogant and ****y as Kohli is on the field because he wasn't as good, tbh :ph34r:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Kohli is the obvious choice to be the next captain as of now. If he gets into a terrible run of form and gets dropped, Ashwin will lead for a year or two before retiring.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhawan

Pujara
Kohli (c)
Rahane
Rohit

Samson +

Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami
Umesh/Harmeet

Hopefully, we will finally(!) find a decent all-rounder to open.

Last edited:

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
I"m surprise Josh Hazlewood doesn't feature on these list more often.He is on his way to surpassing Starc.I know its a huge call but I"m predicting that he will be leading our attack by then.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Latham
Jeet Raval
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Will Young
Corey Anderson
BJ Watling
Jimmy Neesham
Ish Sodhi
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
This is really not far away from being a reality. Will Young was a bit of a wild guess, but Neesham is already likely to be a feature in the squad for the foreseeable future. The more we can squeeze out of McCullum and Taylor the better, because the batting is rather brittle.

It's also going to be a bit of a battle keeping Southee and Boult fit and fresh.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there could be a really bizarre sort of player in our Test top 5 in 2018. The antithesis of a prodigy, whatever the word for that is.

A 33-year-old Sam Wells, or something along those lines.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pick any top-five for India, in Tests or ODIs, but this is what I'd want in the bowling attack- Pankaj Singh, Ishwar Pandey, Umesh Yadav, Ashwin and any one of Iqbal Abdulla and Bipul Sharma. For ODIs, two of the three seamers/pacers can be rested to make way for Vinay Kumar and Yo Mahesh. While there's very tough competition for batting slots, especially in the middle-order, the one who can break into the side and establish a place will be an all-rounder. I'll pick the team that can get 20 wickets regularly, not a top six with averages over 50.
harsh.ag said:
Hopefully, we will finally(!) find a decent all-rounder to open.
Himachal's Bipul Sharma may be your man.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah there could be a really bizarre sort of player in our Test top 5 in 2018. The antithesis of a prodigy, whatever the word for that is.

A 33-year-old Sam Wells, or something along those lines.
If Nathan Astle, Mark Richardson, Bryan Young, Scott Styris and BJ Watling are a trend then I think we can expect someone like Scotty Kugglejuggle, Mark Craig or any current 7-9 Plunket cricketer of your choice to step on up.

For every chosen one in the New Zealand side there is a self made man.