• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Southpaws XI vs Right Handers/Armers XI

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Who would be in the teams and win in a contest between the best ever teams of purely left handers/armers and right handers/armers.
(For this case players who fit into the team must fufill their 'main' role in the team with the specified handedness. Obviously there's a grey area.)

Southpaws have Sobers, Lara and Gilchrist, righties have Bradman, Hobbs, Hutton, Marshall and Warne/Murali.

My XIs would be:

Right XI:

J Hobbs
L Hutton
D Bradman (c)
V Richards
W Hammond
I Khan
A Knott
M Marshall
S Warne
G McGrath
J Garner

Left XI:

V Lawry
M Hayden
K Sangakarra
B Lara
G Sobers
RG Pollock
A Gilchrist
W Akram
A Davidson
H Verity
D Underwood

Left XI bats deep but Right XI top order is better. Struggling to find a third quick for the Left XI though I doubt Sobers would cut it.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs
Richards^
Bradman*
Richards
Tendulkar
Kallis^
Imran
Knott+
Marshall
Warne^
Barnes

Morris
Hayden^
Lara^
Pollock
Sobers^
Border*
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Akram
Johnston
Underwood

Last edited:

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
The hard one for me is Sangakarra over Border, Harvey, Flower, Chanderpaul or Hussey but I think his average wins out despite him being so contemporary.

uvelocity

International Coach
**** me, you were at the club last night. had this exact discussion, but just about australia current generation lefties v righties

Camel 56

Banned
You do realise that the term "southpaw" is specific to boxing/martial arts? It's not used for left handers in any other sport or part of life. I'd suggest changing the title of the thread to avoid any further embarrassment.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You do realise that the term "southpaw" is specific to boxing/martial arts? It's not used for left handers in any other sport or part of life. I'd suggest changing the title of the thread to avoid any further embarrassment.
How's my boy John Laws going? Him and Pinkline going well?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Australia:

Morris
Hayden
Hill
Harvey
Border
Hussey
Gilchrist
Davidson
Johnson