• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What ever happened to?

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
halsey said:
James Foster is a class keeper with lots of potential. :D
...and Phil Neville is a world class footballer.
I don't blame Foster for his failings at test level...there is no way he should have been selected. It seems to me that Hussain was behind his (and Irani's) selection. Picking county colleagues is not exactly a new trend with the English. Illy picked anything with a Yorkshire connection (including a few puddings), Lloyd did the same with Lanky players (Ian Austin anyone), Keith Fletcher and Gooch the same with Essex, Gatting with Middlesex, etc.

And I agree with the above posts regarding Mike Smith. Scandalous he only played once for England when the likes of McCague (and countless others) played several times.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
roofromoz said:
Whatever happened to Shane George?

He was apparently the next big thing in our bowling ranks back in the mid-90's. Played a few A games, and then seemed to disappear...
Its good to hear its not just the english media who hype young hopefuls beyond their potential ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whatever happened to these guys???

1. Devang Gandhi
2. Marlon Black
3. Colin Stuart
4. Kerry Walmsley
5. Adrian Griffith
6. Jimmy Adams (IMO the best player ive seen get dropped bar Saqqi)
7. Carl Hooper (is he retired or what?)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I can answer waht happened to Gandhi coz he is from the state where I live. He had the disastrous tour of Australia where he got exposed against short pitch stuff like many Indian first class openers. He played domestic cricket for some time before retiring last season.

What happened to Ali Naqvi? I remember he had a wonderful century on debut vs South Africa in Pakistan.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think adams and griffith have both retired, colin stuart and malon black are still playing though i think

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Whatever happened to these guys???

2. Marlon Black
3. Colin Stuart
5. Adrian Griffith
6. Jimmy Adams (IMO the best player ive seen get dropped bar Saqqi)
7. Carl Hooper (is he retired or what?)
2/ Marlon Black bowled well in last year's Carib Beer Cup and looked to be returning to his best, but disappeared off the face of the planet when the Red Stripe Bowl came around. T&T couldn't locate him and as such, he missed the tourney.

3/ He started his Test career so promisingly but sadly just 'lost it'. He's been smashed around in his latest efforts for Guyana and was dropped after 2 games last season. Not sure if he's in the Guyana squad this year though.

5/ Good technique but had a horror run in 2000 and hasn't got a lookin since. He's unofficially retired now I believe.

6/ Adams is still playing cricket in South Africa I believe. He was sacked as captain and as a player after the disastrous Australia tour in 2000 and never came close to the West Indies team again. I think he's unofficially retired too. Fine player of spin.

7/ Carl Hooper opted out of the West Indies team against Australia and Sri Lanka last year with a statement indicating that he wants to give the young guys a chance. He didn't commit his availablity for Guyana in time for thr 2003 Red Stripe Bowl and as such, was left out of the squad. Seems to me like he'll be making his living in county cricket if he can from now on.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
No, that only cost 1 Test.
It possibly cost Smith a Test career of who knows how many years. Possibly, that's all.
But surely a long successful career from Mr. Smith would have served England nicely. Hence it's England's loss too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
halsey said:
Too true. And so is Darren Fletcher, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Ruud van Nistelrooy...the list goes on. :D
So you named one World Class player, 1 over-rated Horse, 1 half of the worst double act since the Chuckle Brothers and a Scot with potential.

Next...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
However, there is little alternative to Jones now - there are no other wicketkeepers who appear as able with the bat as him
Based on a season where a third was utter rubbish?

His keeping isn't up to Read's standard, and Read has the International experience.

Yes, he may have looked dodgy in spinning conditions, but when exactly will he next encounter that sort of conditions (and will he have just come back into the side attempting to replace a legend at that time?)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Liam , whats up with Sherwin Campbell , is he still playing domestic cricket or has he called it a day yet?

Craig

World Traveller
Got dropped with Jimmy Adams. Brought for the series against Pakistan in the UAE, played one Test in 2001.

Disappeared off the face of the earth AFAIK.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
what happened to Shahid Nazir, Pravin Amre and Samir Dighe ?

Is Amre still playiong domestic cricket in South africa ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is nothing related by Pravin Amre managed the South African team in a game I was playing in ICC 2001! He was playing South African domestic cricekt and they didnt have the overseas player stipulation on him like they do in English counties. I had to edit his name. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

iamdavid said:
Liam , whats up with Sherwin Campbell , is he still playing domestic cricket or has he called it a day yet?
He's been playing FC cricket for Barbados I believe but not sure if he will this season. No hope of getting recalled IMO.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr M....Is Philo Wallace still playing 1st class cricket?
I used to love watching him tee off.