• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ/AUS Team Combined

Ming

State 12th Man
Just wondering what you guy's team's would be.

My combined Test team would be:

M Hayden
M Richardson
R Ponting
S Fleming (c)
N Astle
D Martyn
A Gilchrist +
S Warne
S Bond
J Gillespie
G McGrath

It would be harsh to break up that Hayden/Langer partnership, as it has been so succesful over the past few years. But you got to put Richardson there somewhere, and I don't like the look of Langer and would rather have a fit again Astle. Fleming makes it on default as a captain, and it will be interesting to see what the make-up of the Aussie order will be without Waugh. Glenn McGrath will be back, and there is no room for Daryl Tuffey, unless you play Gilchrist at 6.

The combined ODI team:

M Hayden
A Gilchrist +
N Astle
R Ponting (c)
D Martyn
S Styris/ C Cairns
S Warne
S Bond
D Tuffey
J Gillespie
G McGrath

Fleming would be the main casualty, and his ODI batting isn't in the same level as in the Tests. Gilchrist and Hayden would be my openers, with Astle at his newfound position at 3 and Ponting following him, and captain as well. Martyn is a world-class player, and the likes of McMillan aren't in the same league. Styris over the past year has proved to be a genuine allrounder, and is NZ's most consistent batsman and a more than useful medium pacer in the middle stages of an innings. He would get the nod over Symonds and Clarke at this stage. The bowling attack is might strong, with McGrath and Bond to open up and with Tuffey and Gillespie as the change bowlers. No room for Lee in my side, he isn't as fast as he used to be anymore, and that is his main weapon. And Vettori would be no match for a non-mum-drug-influenced-Warne.

Fun excersise this.

If you go on averages for both ODI and Test, only Richardson would sneak into the batting for the Test team.

OK just to give you a bit of indication what I mean...

Tests
Batting
M Richardson 49.02/ J Langer 44.30
L Vincent 29.00 / M Hayden 58.54
S Fleming 38.48/ R Ponting 56.36
S Styris 37.33/ D Martyn 46.77
C McMillan 41.55/ S Katich 36.33
N Astle 39.04/ M Love 46.60
C Cairns 32.17/ A Gilchrist 57.43

Bowling
S Bond 24.30/ G McGrath 21.71
D Tuffey 27.32/ J Gillespie 24.89
I Butler 35.08/ B Lee 30.55
J Oram 23.18/ A Bichel 32.24
C Cairns 29.11/ N Bracken 36.33
D Vettori 35.65/ S Warne 25.71

Interesting to know Tuffey and Cairns are in the Top 10 Best Bowling Strike Rates of current players for Tests.

ODI
Batting
S Fleming 30.94/ M Hayden 41.58
N Astle 34.40/ A Gilchrist 35.04
L Vincent 21.78 / R Ponting 42.19
S Styris 27.34/ D Martyn 43.09
C McMillan 26.23/ A Symonds 32.26
C Cairns 29.18/ M Bevan 55.74

Bowling
S Bond 19.00 (4.24)/ G McGrath 22.38 (3.81)
D Tuffey 29.50 (4.64)/ J Gillespie 24.14 (4.17)
J Oram 30.73 (4.54)/ B Lee 21.43 (4.69)
C Cairns 32.98 (4.75)/ A Bichel 30.21 (4.47)
S Styris 31.78 (4.81)/ I Harvey 29.14 (4.64)
D Vettori 37.27 (4.35)/ S Warne 25.82 (4.25)

Dam did that take a while...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It is difficult to see any NZ players making the Australian team.
Possibly a few of them would make the bench like Richardson & Vettori..but its hard to see anyone else there.

Shane Bond would make the starting XI, but then again alot of his ODI success has come against Australia.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richardson might get in over Langer , but he dosent really fit in with the attacking set up in the Aussie team , Flemming , Astle & possibly McMillan would make it over Katich.
Shane Bond would make it over Lee & both would make the ODI side together.
I'd pick Vettori over MacGill for both forms but I doubt the selectors would.
Tuffey wouldnt make the Aussie first XI but with McGrath out I fancy he'd be a certainty.

Test team would be something like-
1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Waugh (Astle after he's gone)
6.Fleming
7.Gilchrist
8.Gillespie
9.MacGill/Vettori
10.Bond
11.McGrath (Tuffey if McGrath aint fit)

for ODI's -
1.Gilchrist
2.Astle
3.Ponting
4.Fleming
5.Lehmann
6.Bevan
7.Symonds (Cairns if he could bowl 100%)
8.Vettori
9.Lee/Bond
10.Gillespie
11.McGrath

Craig

World Traveller
Ming said:
Just wondering what you guy's team's would be.

My combined Test team would be:

M Hayden
M Richardson
R Ponting
S Fleming (c)
N Astle
D Martyn
A Gilchrist +
S Warne
S Bond
J Gillespie
G McGrath

Hayden and Richardson would bat around the other way.

krkode

State Captain
Personally, I think only Astle and Bond have a good chance of making it in either side, test or ODI, and I think both could do both.

Richardson, probably, but it's a real tuffy :P

Cairns in his prime would have been on my list too, both ODI and test, but now he has somewhat detiriorated. :(

Kent

State 12th Man
This sort of exercise is a classic example of why NZ cricket fans tend to be a po-faced bunch. We all know that climate, population, funding and interest factors suggest the Black Caps shouldn't be much better than Australia's weakest state side. We're like Indian fans in reverse.

Australasia, test XI

Hayden
Langer (There would be major philosophical issues with Richardson.)
Ponting
Fleming (c) (A biased call given Fleming could be a fringe player, but I'd still like to see how he goes
as a tactician with a world-class arsenal).
Martyn
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Bond
McGrath

Brett Lee kicks the ground in disappointment. Butler follows...

One-day XI

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting (c)
Astle
Martyn
Bevan
Styris (well, even Bill can't talk a Shane Watson up...)
Warne
Bond
Gillespie
McGrath

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Kent said:

One-day XI

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting (c)
Astle
Martyn
Bevan
Styris (well, even Bill can't talk a Shane Watson up...)
Warne
Bond
Gillespie
McGrath
Styris:lol: Why npt Symonds or Bichel

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kent said:
Fleming (c) (A biased call given Fleming could be a fringe player, but I'd still like to see how he goes
as a tactician with a world-class arsenal).
A one armed blind man would win more often than not with a full strength Aussie side!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
test

hayden
Langer
Ponting (c)
Martyn
Fleming
Katich
Glichrist(+)
Warne
Gillespie
Bond
McGrath

ODI
Hayden
Gilchrist (+)
Ponting (c)
Astle
Clarke
Bevan
Symonds
Bond
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

no spinner in the ODI team, its really not needed with that pace attack, and Symonds and Clarke can both bowl abit if needed

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
Test team would be something like-
1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Waugh (Astle after he's gone)
6.Fleming
7.Gilchrist
8.Gillespie
9.MacGill/Vettori
10.Bond
11.McGrath (Tuffey if McGrath aint fit)
yep, except swap fleming and martyn around. then its perfect. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bond can replace Lee and suddenly Australia's bowling line up actually looks threatening again.

It would be interesting to merge both teams.

Kent

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
A one armed blind man would win more often than not with a full strength Aussie side!
Let me guess, you're English, right?! I'm thinking more kites, cakes, and Coldplay than the Flintoff variety...

How are you all going to maintain the softly-spoken reverence of Dawson's Creek extras like Bracken and co. in the coming years! Should we give India the chance to play 5-test series against them every 18 months from now on?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kent said:
Let me guess, you're English, right?! I'm thinking more kites, cakes, and Coldplay than the Flintoff variety...

How are you all going to maintain the softly-spoken reverence of Dawson's Creek extras like Bracken and co. in the coming years! Should we give India the chance to play 5-test series against them every 18 months from now on?
That post doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, can anyone else interpret it?

I was talking about a full strength Aussie side (ie the bowling has McGrath, Warne and a 100% fit Gillespie)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know a few ppl might suggest Astle isn't worthy of batting in that squad...but I think he'd be sensational with a solid batting lineup around him.

If that side was set up by Richardson, Hayden & Ponting...look out because Astle & Gilchrist would go nuts.

Kent

State 12th Man
Sorry Marc - looking at your profile I think I may have confused you with someone else I was talking to about the modern relevance of the Ashes.