• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is more destructive when in top form? Steyn or Johnson?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Firstly, this is not an overall comparisons of their whole careers, just want to know your views on who looks more dangerous when in form?
Steyn is a lot more consistent. But I find Johnson very scary when he gets it right because when he bowls well, the pitch and the conditions almost doesn't matter, he can destroy you on the flattest of wickets, though his inconsistency can be frustrating.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Steyn can run through batting line ups on his day like no one else in the world these days.

Looks so awesome when he runs in to bowl. Especially when he gets a breaktrhough

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn can run through batting line ups on his day like no one else in the world these days.

Looks so awesome when he runs in to bowl. Especially when he gets a breaktrhough
How does him getting a breakthrough affect how he looks while running in?

Riggins

International Captain
I think Johnson. When he's got it going he doesn't just get guys out he breaks them. He gets that killer bounce whereas Steyn just moves the ball sideways and gets wickets.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
This is quite unrelated, but about 2 years ago my mate was saying that Anderson was on the same level as Steyn. Jimmy was in top form at the time, but it still didn't rest well with me.

Then I though, it's their stock deliveries. Anderson is basically a guy who bowls a solid line and length, with his wickets coming through the orxodox fashion of frustration interspersed with the odd ripper. Which is fair enough.

Steyn's stock delivery is a bona-fida wicket taking delivery. I've seem him bowl spells where every ball could have gotten a good batsman out. Pitched up fast and skiddy; and moving away from the right-hander late.

For this reason you can't compare to Jimmy to Steyn, or even Johnson to Steyn. Because even an in-form mitch does't send wicket-taking deliveries down with the same regulatory as Steyn. It's just that when he does they're even more spectacular.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
This is quite unrelated, but about 2 years ago my mate was saying that Anderson was on the same level as Steyn. Jimmy was in top form at the time, but it still didn't rest well with me.

Then I though, it's their stock deliveries. Anderson is basically a guy who bowls a solid line and length, with his wickets coming through the orxodox fashion of frustration interspersed with the odd ripper. Which is fair enough.

Steyn's stock delivery is a bona-fida wicket taking delivery. I've seem him bowl spells where every ball could have gotten a good batsman out. Pitched up fast and skiddy; and moving away from the right-hander late.

For this reason you can't compare to Jimmy to Steyn, or even Johnson to Steyn. Because even an in-form mitch does't send wicket-taking deliveries down with the same regulatory as Steyn. It's just that when he does they're even more spectacular.
This.

Here's Steyn being unplayable...

steyn 7 51 vs India - YouTube

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Easily Steyn. At his best he is up there with the greatest ever.
Johnson is up there with the greatest ever at his best too. I would go Johnson, because there is something more stunning about an enigmatic bowler ripping through the opposition rather than a quality bowler doing so. Also, when Johnson does it, he gets the batsman jumping around, like they don't want to be out there. When Steyn takes bags of wickets, its more of a feeling that he's just too good, but doesn't put the same fear into the batsman IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well depends what destructive means. Does it mean making the batsmen look scared while getting them our, or does it mean getting lots of poles.

If its the former, its definitely Mitch.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think obviously day in day out you'd take Steyn. And when they're both absolutely cracking they'd be very similar.

But there's something very satisfying watching Johnson have one of his bursts.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like a very good, complete batsman i.e. able to play all the shots in good form would have some hope of taking on Johnson even when in top form. The same could be said about Steyn, but I think Steyn has a greater chance in producing an unplayable delivery even when he's being taken on.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnson is up there with the greatest ever at his best too. I would go Johnson, because there is something more stunning about an enigmatic bowler ripping through the opposition rather than a quality bowler doing so. Also, when Johnson does it, he gets the batsman jumping around, like they don't want to be out there. When Steyn takes bags of wickets, its more of a feeling that he's just too good, but doesn't put the same fear into the batsman IMO.
Understood.

Who is the last player who could do both though?