Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Who is more destructive when in top form? Steyn or Johnson?

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain karan316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,186

    Who is more destructive when in top form? Steyn or Johnson?

    Firstly, this is not an overall comparisons of their whole careers, just want to know your views on who looks more dangerous when in form?
    Steyn is a lot more consistent. But I find Johnson very scary when he gets it right because when he bowls well, the pitch and the conditions almost doesn't matter, he can destroy you on the flattest of wickets, though his inconsistency can be frustrating.
    Last edited by karan316; 09-12-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    Tantakumaran Treetanth

  2. #2
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,716
    Steyn can run through batting line ups on his day like no one else in the world these days.

    Looks so awesome when he runs in to bowl. Especially when he gets a breaktrhough
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    18,057
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Steyn can run through batting line ups on his day like no one else in the world these days.

    Looks so awesome when he runs in to bowl. Especially when he gets a breaktrhough
    How does him getting a breakthrough affect how he looks while running in?

  4. #4
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #teamAthlai
    Posts
    34,134
    Johnson has the highest ceiling in the world I reckon.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT


  5. #5
    International Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,137
    I think Johnson. When he's got it going he doesn't just get guys out he breaks them. He gets that killer bounce whereas Steyn just moves the ball sideways and gets wickets.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

  6. #6
    State Regular GuyFromLancs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    946
    This is quite unrelated, but about 2 years ago my mate was saying that Anderson was on the same level as Steyn. Jimmy was in top form at the time, but it still didn't rest well with me.

    Then I though, it's their stock deliveries. Anderson is basically a guy who bowls a solid line and length, with his wickets coming through the orxodox fashion of frustration interspersed with the odd ripper. Which is fair enough.

    Steyn's stock delivery is a bona-fida wicket taking delivery. I've seem him bowl spells where every ball could have gotten a good batsman out. Pitched up fast and skiddy; and moving away from the right-hander late.

    For this reason you can't compare to Jimmy to Steyn, or even Johnson to Steyn. Because even an in-form mitch does't send wicket-taking deliveries down with the same regulatory as Steyn. It's just that when he does they're even more spectacular.
    Last edited by GuyFromLancs; 09-12-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    World XI Since 1990 -

    1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

  7. #7
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    How does him getting a breakthrough affect how he looks while running in?
    When he gets a breakthrough he gets really pumped up and that feeds into his next run up and delivery.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    15,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Johnson has the highest ceiling in the world I reckon.
    Na Mo Irfan surely.

  9. #9
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,655
    Would love to see Irfan bowling at Perth.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,218
    Steyn looks beautiful when he gets batsmen out. MoJo looks brutal.

  11. #11
    State Vice-Captain popepouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    This is quite unrelated, but about 2 years ago my mate was saying that Anderson was on the same level as Steyn. Jimmy was in top form at the time, but it still didn't rest well with me.

    Then I though, it's their stock deliveries. Anderson is basically a guy who bowls a solid line and length, with his wickets coming through the orxodox fashion of frustration interspersed with the odd ripper. Which is fair enough.

    Steyn's stock delivery is a bona-fida wicket taking delivery. I've seem him bowl spells where every ball could have gotten a good batsman out. Pitched up fast and skiddy; and moving away from the right-hander late.

    For this reason you can't compare to Jimmy to Steyn, or even Johnson to Steyn. Because even an in-form mitch does't send wicket-taking deliveries down with the same regulatory as Steyn. It's just that when he does they're even more spectacular.
    This.

    Here's Steyn being unplayable...

    steyn 7 51 vs India - YouTube

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,561
    Easily Steyn. At his best he is up there with the greatest ever.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    20,781
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Easily Steyn. At his best he is up there with the greatest ever.
    Johnson is up there with the greatest ever at his best too. I would go Johnson, because there is something more stunning about an enigmatic bowler ripping through the opposition rather than a quality bowler doing so. Also, when Johnson does it, he gets the batsman jumping around, like they don't want to be out there. When Steyn takes bags of wickets, its more of a feeling that he's just too good, but doesn't put the same fear into the batsman IMO.

  14. #14
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    63,273
    Well depends what destructive means. Does it mean making the batsmen look scared while getting them our, or does it mean getting lots of poles.

    If its the former, its definitely Mitch.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  15. #15
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    8,283
    I think obviously day in day out you'd take Steyn. And when they're both absolutely cracking they'd be very similar.

    But there's something very satisfying watching Johnson have one of his bursts.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Who is/was more destructive in their field ?
    By Uparcut in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 29-05-2011, 05:06 PM
  2. Most destructive modern batsman?
    By hang on in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 25-03-2011, 03:37 PM
  3. Most Destructive out of these players?
    By psxpro in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 08:38 PM
  4. Most Destructive Batsman in Onedayer!
    By TendulkarMark2 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 15-10-2002, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •