• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is more destructive when in top form? Steyn or Johnson?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Last person to do both gotta be Shoaib? Lee probably did both in 99 briefly (India when touring Aust on his debut were pretty scared) but after that I don't think he really ran through teams too often.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Johnson has this strange bounce/angle which looks really uncomfortable to play. That being said, I'd always fear Steyn over Johnson as a fan (maybe not as a batter), just because Steyn never has a bad spell. Steyn can also be intimidating, though he doesn't need to be. We forget just how good Steyn is because it has become mundane with him. Johnson is scary at times but so was Devon Malcolm.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Last person to do both gotta be Shoaib? Lee probably did both in 99 briefly (India when touring Aust on his debut were pretty scared) but after that I don't think he really ran through teams too often.
Shoaib was very scary. Didn't he have some weird issue that stopped him playing for a bit? I'm trying to remember what the Pakistan team doctor said the injuries were..

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn, although it is close. Steyn has the outrageous ability to pitch the ball on leg and hit off almost at will. Throw in his ability to crank it up to 150 when required, and his mastery of reverse swing. The **** took 6 for 8 earlier this year ffs. Johnson is a demon when in form, and his slingy action does seem to make it harder for the batsmen to pick it up. But Steyn has more tools to call upon and so narrowly edges it for me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Injury of being too awesome.

Shoaib Akhtar - Eye of the Tiger! - YouTube

That's him at his best there, the interviewer's faces, she wanted some Shoaib genital warts for sure.
Haha good one Jono. But surely Pakistan officials/doctors didn't initially say he couldn't play because he had genital warts, I'm trying to work out how they could have covered his rather embarrassing issue up a little more. Even saying dick issues would be bad...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'll be honest here. Before this series I didn't even think Johnson deserved a spot in the Aust team. And right now if I was picking a world XI, there's no doubt he and Steyn are the first two quicks picked...

salman85

International Debutant
Steyn.

More consistent.More dangerous regularly.

Johnson however,is the more intriguing player.He's unpredictable,so the joy in watching Johnson on song is pretty high.With Steyn on song you're like "Meh.So what else is new?"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll be honest here. Before this series I didn't even think Johnson deserved a spot in the Aust team. And right now if I was picking a world XI, there's no doubt he and Steyn are the first two quicks picked...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn.

More consistent.More dangerous regularly.

Johnson however,is the more intriguing player.He's unpredictable,so the joy in watching Johnson on song is pretty high.With Steyn on song you're like "Meh.So what else is new?"
The question isn't "who's the better player". It's "who's the most destructive when in top form". Therefore Johnson's unpredictability and inconsistency is kind of irrelavent to the issue.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Outswinging half volley that pitches leg and hits off is more destructive than an inswinging yorker, IMO.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson is definitely the more physically dangerous bowler when on song. In my time of watching cricket, I've never seen a bowler injure more batsmen than Johnson. And this is after the introduction of helmets, chest and arm guards and the general improvement of protective equipment all-round. Steyn is simply phenomenal and anyone with sense would pick him first in a World XI. However if Johnson is in the zone, he's both unplayable and dangerous.