• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I have some Cricket questions:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Comments:

Too many age mentions. Catch out is also a phrase not usually used. You also usually don't say team x scored a century, that's more commonly used for batsmen. - good

Edit: yeah, follow what hurricane daid and you should be good to go. - daid is not a word.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol, why would anyone do that?

You get an opportunity you take it, otherwise someone else will. No one is brilliant at everything or has knowledge in all fields. Therefore we will all get jobs/tasks that will be a challenge for us. To just say, sorry but I am not good enough or I don't know the subject area is just giving up.
The right way to go about it is to get trained for it and then go to work, and pick up the on-the-job skills. Here, the employer thinks he knows about the sport. That is why he is being asked to write about it. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.

harsh.ag

Does this make sense?
-----------------------------------

England have forced (pushed the game into) a fifth day in the second Ashes test to prevent Australia from taking a 2-0 lead in the series

The tourists, who trailed the hosts by (were chasing) 530 runs at the start of day four in Adelaide, ended the contest (the day's play) on 247-6 after 90 overs.

Mitchell Johnson, who proved the tourists' chief tormentor yesterday by claiming seven wickets, picked up where he left off on day three - OK.

The 32-year-old bowled a short ball for Alastair Cook, whose decision to attack proved costly as Brad Harris (Ryan Harris) caught out (blank) the skipper for one in the second over.

Michael Carberry (14) soon followed his partner back to the Pavilion in similar fashion, as the 33-year-old took on the short ball from Peter Siddle, only for Nathan Lyon to catch out the left-hander after 39 balls - OK

The combination of Joe Root and Kevin Pietersen helped England to their century just prior to the 39th over - OK

However, Siddle claimed his second wicket after lunch by ending Pietersen's gallant resistance at the crease to bowl him out (for) 53 (off) 99 (balls).

Ian Bell followed shortly before tea, caught out by Johnson after he clothed (chipped) a Steve Smith full-toss.

Root, meanwhile, remained in-play (on the crease) and edged toward his century after batting (hitting) a four in the 62nd over to bring his contribution to 86 not out.

However, history repeated itself for the 22-year-old, as Lyon - whose delivery led to Root's dismissal on day three - executed (induced) an inside edge which deflected off the youngster's thigh and into the hands of wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, ending a 194-ball stint.

Ben Stokes followed 28 (off) 90, but Stuart Broad and Matt Prior held on to force a fifth day.
Here you go.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
[SUP][/SUP]
The right way to go about it is to get trained for it and then go to work, and pick up the on-the-job skills. Here, the employer thinks he knows about the sport. That is why he is being asked to write about it. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.
As I have said, you get an opportunity you take it. It's a risk but it can pay off.

And how else do you get training for this other than learn try to learn the game, which is exactly what he is doing.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

As I have said, you get an opportunity you take it. It's a risk but it can pay off.

And how else do you get training for this other than learn try to learn the game, which is exactly what he is doing.
Nah. Just being honest about things like this goes a long way. If he had told them he had no knowledge of the sport, and they had then said, "Well, then, kiddo, here is a challenge for you. Learn about it in less than 3 days and get this done," it would have been great. But they should be given the choice. He shouldn't be deciding for them. If I was the employer, I would consider this fraud.

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
Nah. Just being honest about things like this goes a long way. If he had told them he had no knowledge of the sport, and they had then said, "Well, then, kiddo, here is a challenge for you. Learn about it in less than 3 days and get this done," it would have been great. But they should be given the choice. He shouldn't be deciding for them. If I was the employer, I would consider this fraud.
Hmm, I am not a fraud any more than I am someone who does a job when it's asked of him.

As soon as I was pencilled in to write about Cricket I was put in a tricky dilemma; do I tell them I am not up to the job, which would reflect quite badly on me, or do I risk producing a poor report, which would reflect poorly on both myself and the website?

Or, alternatively, do I use the little time I have at my disposal to educate myself on the job to increase the chances of both me and the website emerging unharmed from the situation? I went with this option, and I think it paid off. I may even watch the fifth test even though I have absolutely no reason to.

Anyway, I very much appreciate everybody's feedback, both on Cricket and the report itself.

Cheers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm borrowing harsh's add-ons and creating a few extras in blue font.

England have forced (pushed the game into) a fifth day in the second Ashes test to prevent Australia from taking a 2-0 lead in the series

The tourists, who trailed the hosts by (were chasing) 530 runs at the start of day four in Adelaide, ended the contest (the day's play) on 247-6 after 90 overs.

Mitchell Johnson, who proved the tourists' chief tormentor yesterday by claiming seven wickets, picked up where he left off on day three - OK.

The 32-year-old bowled a short ball for Alastair Cook, whose decision to attack proved costly as Brad Harris (Ryan Harris) caught out (blank) the skipper for one in the second over.

Michael Carberry (14) soon followed his partner back to the Pavilion in similar fashion, as the 33-year-old took on the short ball from Peter Siddle, only for Nathan Lyon to catch out the left-hander after 39 balls - OK

The combination of Joe Root and Kevin Pietersen helped England to their century just prior to the 39th over - OK

However, the big hearted Siddle claimed his second wicket and his 171st of his career by ending Pietersen's gallant resistance at the crease to bowl him out with a beautiful executed delivery (for) 53 (off) 99 (balls).

Ian Bell followed shortly before tea, caught out by Johnson after he clothed (chipped) a Steve Smith full-toss.

Root, meanwhile, remained in-play (on the crease) and edged toward his century after batting (hitting) a four in the 62nd over to bring his contribution to 86 not out.

However, history repeated itself for the 22-year-old, as Lyon - whose delivery led to Root's dismissal on day three - executed (induced) an inside edge which deflected off the youngster's thigh and into the hands of wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, ending a 194-ball stint.

Ben Stokes followed 28 (off) 90, but Stuart Broad and Matt Prior held on to force a fifth day.

Quick question, but what would happen if your boss/anyone at your paper finds out that you published your article/draft on here first?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
BTW, I think it is a really fair call from Shane. I mean, we take it for granted because we like Cricket. If someone asked me to produce a report on rowing, I mean **** what would I say? I know most on here would focus on the cox, as its a passion of theirs, but despite watching Rowing mainly in the Olympics, I don't particularly know all the key terms.

Shane1988

Cricket Spectator
It was published on the website before I posted it here.

I could not claim to be a professional in the same thread where I'd do something like that. It wouldn't be right.