• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ultimate cricket contest you would have loved to see?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Mcgrath bowling the final over of an ODI with 15 runs required and MSD on strike(with a tailender). That would be awesome.

What kind of similar contests(that never happened) would have been great?

Steyn bowling to Bradman sounds epic:)

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mcgrath bowling the final over of an ODI with 15 runs required and MSD on strike(with a tailender). That would be awesome.

What kind of similar contests(that never happened) would have been great?

Steyn bowling to Bradman sounds epic:)
Viv Richards against some of the gobbier quicks from recent times would have been fun.

Larwood against Warner would have been interesting too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So many came to my head immediately....

Instead of McGrath, I'd say Waqar at his peak vs MSD... Greatest exponent of the inswinging yorker vs the helicopter shot... Boy that would be fun

Others:

Viv Richards vs Frank Tyson

Sunil Gavaskar vs Dale Steyn... Greatest bowler of the outswinger vs arguably the best leaver of the ball... Can almost visualize the entire battle in my head

Stan Mccabe vs any modern bowler

Bradman vs Marshall ( greatest bat vs greatest bowler)
Bradman vs Murali/ Warne would be mighty interesting

Virender Sehwag vs Curtly Ambrose... This is the one that would've been my favorite to watch. Don't think anyone had the audacity to really try and tear apart Curtly... On a juicy pitch, Sehwag probably would get owned... But on a flat one, oh boy it could have been great fun to watch :D

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah I would have liked to see Dhoni go up against the 2Ws at their peak. Would have loved to see how well would he be able to cope with the swinging yorkers

Bradman against Murali, Marshall, Warne, Wasim and Waqar would also be delighful

Shri

Mr. Glass
All economical bowlers(McGrath/Pollock/Murali/Hadlee/Ambrose) against aggressive batsmen(Richards/Ponting/Lara/Tendulkar/Pietersen) in a 5 vs 5 limited overs game where every batsman can bat twice. With everyone at their peak obviously. Or flair vs flair (Akram/Waqar/Lee/Akhtar/Bond) vs the same batsmen.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv Richards facing Mitchell Johnson:cool:
The MJ of the last fortnight yes not the MJ of his previous 2 ashes series.

A personal view would be Bradman against any good 80's onwards attack or Tendulkar v Bodyline side. Would settle a few arguments.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Waqar and Steyn bowling in tandem to the Don and Sobers and completely owning them. Broken toes would be nice as well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman and Sobers/ Richards at the crease vs Marshall and Warne with Knott, Hammond and Chappell in death row behind them. For me there would be no greater sight.

Would have paired Marshall and Lillee, but Lillee actually bowled to Sobers and Richards (though they were both always fantastic memorable encounters) and there is just nothing more contrasting and fascinating than a genuine (express) fast bowler bowling in tandem with a big turning leg spinner.

smash84

The Tiger King
The fast bowler would get very tired very soon since there would be very little rest periods in between overs :p

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne and Murali bowling in tandem to every expert who thinks Warne is a better bowler.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Steyn/Donald/Akhtar/MJ/Waqar bowling to Atherton in a test at their best. Wonder what would break first, his spirit, or his body?