• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst higher level cricket relating decisions

FRAZ

International Captain
Worst cricket relating higher level decisions and the areas which have been neglected.
1 . Ban of Cronje .(Being too harsh on him)
2. If one dayers have been cosisted upon 35 overs instead of 50 it would have been better . I think some other time concious countries would have been playing cricket .
3. Limitation of Bouncers for fast bowlers . When this decision was being made only Imran from Pk and Lloyd from WI opposed .
4. Giving Bangladesh test status.
5. Giving a busy test schedule to Bangladesh.
6. Too many club level teams in the world cups . Its not promotion , its ruining the interest in the game for regular Cricket viewers.I think the best World Cup ever to be staged was 1992 Australia ,Newzealand . It gave so many colours to the one day game , stump cams were introduced and after this world cup people realized the need of the third umpire , and its format was so nice , every team had a fair chance to win .
7. Banning of South Africa from Cricket .
8. Dopping tests introduced very very late.
9. Being too harsh on the fast bowlers upon using abusive language.C'mon they are the real beauty of the game.
10. Not doing any thing to some cricket criminals who deny playing cricket on the political levels or so called terrorism grounds.
11. Only one country has inherited the cricketing rights and which imposes its own funny laws on every other country and infact that country has done nothing significant for the cricket cause, I guess Australia is the pioneer of each and every good introduction in the game .
12. Icc has this D .W . Louis method for rain effected games which is non sense.
13. Not giving 5 test series to kiwis and Pakistanis .
14. Hmm what do you guys think of this first 15 overs rule , does it make any sense.
15. Umpiring standards still need improvements.
16. "Chuk" , why is this there ? where is the root cause of it .
17. One dayers have quantity but not the quality .
18. Should have more indoor stuff regarding cricket .

Keep on adding if more to be included.

Andre

International Regular
FRAZ said:
Worst cricket relating higher level decisions and the areas which have been neglected.
2. If one dayers have been cosisted upon 35 overs instead of 50 it would have been better . I think some other time concious countries would have been playing cricket .
3. Limitation of Bouncers for fast bowlers . When this decision was being made only Imran from Pk and Lloyd from WI opposed .
6. Too many club level teams in the world cups . Its not promotion , its ruining the interest in the game for regular Cricket viewers.I think the best World Cup ever to be staged was 1992 Australia ,Newzealand . It gave so many colours to the one day game , stump cams were introduced and after this world cup people realized the need of the third umpire , and its format was so nice , every team had a fair chance to win .
9. Being too harsh on the fast bowlers upon using abusive language.C'mon they are the real beauty of the game.
10. Not doing any thing to some cricket criminals who deny playing cricket on the political levels or so called terrorism grounds.
11. Only one country has inherited the cricketing rights and which imposes its own funny laws on every other country and infact that country has done nothing significant for the cricket cause, I guess Australia is the pioneer of each and every good introduction in the game .
12. Icc has this D .W . Louis method for rain effected games which is non sense.
14. Hmm what do you guys think of this first 15 overs rule , does it make any sense.

1. A deserved ban - he ruined the game, and no matter how sad it was the way he died, it can't be forgotten.
2. :rolleyes: :lol:
3. A case of common sense prevailing IMO.
4. True.
5. True.
6. Yes and no. I have a feeling the end will justify the means.
7. A deserved ban. Aparthied cannot be put up with.
8. True.
9. There's no need for it in the game.
10. You what?!?! It's only a game, mate.
11. It's developing, slowly.
12. It's all confusing, no matter what is used.
13. A time issue.
14. Yeah - it's a good thing.
15. We've got no control over that.
16. I've got no idea what your talking about.
17. There is far too many of them.
18. Indoor stuff?

Craig

World Traveller
FRAZ said:

1, He deseerved what he got. Sorry match fixing is not on.
2, What's wrong with 50 overs?
3, Two per over is probably enough. Well bring on Bodyline :D
4, Perhaps they didnt deserve it, but they have earnt it now
5, And how many Tests should they play?
6, And how do they improve their game without playing a higher level of cricket
7, Banning SA was perhaps the best things that happened in cricket and it helped change their political system.
9, Some words are fine, there is a fine line
10, Hmmm having a bomb blow up outside your hotel on the morning on a Test not on terrorist grounds?
11, It was England where one-day cricket came from
12, Duckworth-Lewis is confusing but do you have a better system?
13, Unlikely to happen, logisically for a marketing point of view it probably wouldnt work, but I would have liked a 3 Test series.
14, The most important part of the game. Get a good start and it can be in your favour.
15, If you mean Asoka de Silva then yes. Umpiring is pretty good.
16, Please explain?
17, You like Tests better?
18, Not enough stadiums. And the logiscal point of view there wont be enough games. Concept is good though.

FRAZ

International Captain
I think I am right . Cronje ban should have been limited . And root cause of chuking means that why people realize that a certain bowler is a chuker when he had already played 100 odd matches and becomes pain in the butt if he is gonna continuously take wickets against the decision making countries, and well South Africa ban was wrong in many ways , If there is a poll upon this thing then may be most the people around the cricket world are gonna agree with me .Politics and games are different. Apart from one odd bomb case I guess most of the occasions the visitors always showed non professional ism .
And yes test cricket is the real form of cricket and one dayers should only be there so that people enjoy watching the stroke practice of quality players and also one dayer is obviously good cuz we are used to the 50 over format , just look at the people s interest and the players interest in any shorter version of the game . apart from terrorism just notice that some countries are not playing together just because of a died political official issue.
And hmm guess thats it .

Craig

World Traveller
It's is idealistic to think politics and sport shouldnt mix. They go hand-in-hand.

PY

International Coach
FRAZ said:
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ANDRE
BOTH OF US WRONG ?
Think you're mis-quoting Mr. Maddocks here.

Without wanting to put words into his mouth, he meant that player safety must come above the game. I.e. it's only a game and it isn't life or death situations.

Even though Andre's quite obviously crazy, I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong. (He just said Mark Waugh is better than Steve Waugh :lol: )

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's a liar, a cheat, and complete disgrace

Then they would be half-dayers, no?

3. Limitation of Bouncers for fast bowlers . When this decision was being made only Imran from Pk and Lloyd from WI opposed.
Agree

Five came inherently from four, it was timed badly but they have proven themselves now

That format is returning for the second phase of WC'07, and the minnows have 3 matches each also for experience, in my book that will be perfect

7. Banning of South Africa from Cricket.
Um, they had no place in anything. Apartheid was a disgrace

Aye

Real beauty hardly, but Shoaib's ban was a farce

Nor sure I get this

Erm?

Makes complete sense if you take the time to understand it

13. Not giving 5 test series to kiwis and Pakistanis
Not enough time

14. Hmm what do you guys think of this first 15 overs rule , does it make any sense
Yes

Like every sport

Um..

ODIs need halving in quantity

No we shouldn't

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
1. Why was it too harsh?
7. LE is probably the only one on here who remembers this.
10. Can you explain what you mean?
12. Rubbish - D/L is far far better than any other method known to man.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cronje should have been given a life ban, but not from all cricket.. He should have been allowed back into the game, he could have done it a lot of good.. sadly we shall never know.

Wasnt around during apartheid, but im pretty sure the fall of it couldnt have had anything to do with a few test matches.. Wrong to ban SA in that case.. They were representing a nation, not a political system. (like Zim today)

DL might sound like nonsense, but it rarely produces a false result..

Some of mine!

1. The ICC 10 year plan is so harsh on the players and is draining the passion for top class cricket.. It could be the death of the game.

2. Robin Peterson was the worst selection in modern cricketing times, apart from Vusi Sibanda and Richard Dawson..

3. To have Zimbabwe jointly hosting the Cricket world cup was a farce.. But SA would have pulled out if Zimbabwe were not included :(

4. Bangladesh's test status was a farce.. I dont care if they might be good in ten years time, FACT is they dont even have a net in their capital city... And they are expected to perform against the aussies...

Neil, why have Bangladesh proven themselves now!!!???

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Wasnt around during apartheid, but im pretty sure the fall of it couldnt have had anything to do with a few test matches.. Wrong to ban SA in that case.. They were representing a nation, not a political system. (like Zim today)
Ask LE.

4. Bangladesh's test status was a farce.. I dont care if they might be good in ten years time, FACT is they dont even have a net in their capital city... And they are expected to perform against the aussies...

Neil, why have Bangladesh proven themselves now!!!???
I don't believe that there are no nets in Dhaka. Did you see the Pakistan series?

krkode

State Captain
I will only comment on 1.

His ban was quite justified, and so was Azhar's. But I don't think he was a disgrace. He did more for the game and South African cricket than he took for it. Surely he didn't fix all 100 of his games.

Personally, I'll always remember him as Cronje the Matchwinner, not Cronje the Matchfixer.

Same with Azhar, IMO. He did more for the game than he took from it.

I don't blame these fellows for falling to temptation. Temptation is a feeling we all feel. Some of us act on it, some of us resist. No one is better than the other.

That's all I have to say about that. I expect people to disagree, but don't expect me to re-reply.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain

Apartheid was an abhorrent political system and as the SA teams were seen as representing this system they were banned. Rightly so IMO and sportsmen who went on rebel tours should be ashamed of themselves.
Incidentally, individuals from SA from sports such as snooker, boxing and golf were free to continue their profession. Athletes couldn't take part in the Olympics because they were representing their country. I think they were allowed to compete on the circuit as individuals though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:

How would you have punished him? He sold out his country and rightly deserved his punishment. Someone here posted that those who resist the temptation to "go to the dark side" are no better than those who fall for it. That's a ridiculous statement which basically says that there is no such thing as good or bad. Cronje was one of my favourite players before this horrible news burst the bubble for me.

Maybe....but 35 overs would have just been even more of a slam-bang than the 50 over version. If that sort of thing happens, cricket will soon evolve into some totally new sport, probably as inane or silly as baseball.

Agree. although there is a fine line between intimidatory fast bowling and direct physical attack, the line that Jardine crossed. Umpires and match-referees should be given strict instructions to control and if necessary punish offenders.

Agree. It was a political decision and Bangladesh were just not good enough(still are not IMO although they have improved a bit recently).

After giving hem the status, what is the point in not making them play? Now that they are in, if they have to rise up to the level of the other teams, they need to play as much as possible...although it makes for a lot of lop-sided games....it is necessary now.

One of the so-called club level teams reached the semis. Ok so there was a lot of luck involved, but these teams need the luck and to their credit, they took the chances they got.

Absolutely and completely justifed. Apartheid has no place in a civilised world just like terrorism and a harsh enough message needed to be sent to its practitioners.

Agree.

Aggressive fast bowling is a thing of beauty, I agree. Abuses, personal, racial or otherwise - beautiful??!! I accept that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but that's one weird sense of beauty you have there. I suppose you believe that what happened between Sarwan, McGrath and Lara was the most beautiful cricketing moment of 2003.

Who are these cricket criminals? India for making a political decision and NZ for taking the terrorism ground? I would say they were both justified. I am only sad that cunning, manipulative politicians have restarted cricketing relations.

You mean England? Your statement, I am sure is arguable, but I am abstaining from the argument.

I too felt it was nonsense for a long time, but sadly the truth is that it is the best system available.

Is there some rule like this? I didn't know.

No, it really doesn't do much except give the batsmen an even bigger advantage over the hapless bowlers.

Well, there have been good and bad umpires through every stage in cricket. I don't think this era is that different. In fact, neutral umpiring has improved standards, I feel.

Not sure what you are talking about here.

True for the most part.

Disagree. IMO, outdoor cricket is just fine.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
How would you have punished him? He sold out his country and rightly deserved his punishment. Someone here posted that those who resist the temptation to "go to the dark side" are no better than those who fall for it. That's a ridiculous statement which basically says that there is no such thing as good or bad. Cronje was one of my favourite players before this horrible news burst the bubble for me.
That would be me. I guess I will reply after all.

We're talking about 30 years of a man's life!! One deed does not make him a worse man than all the rest. That is what I meant when I said he is no different from the rest. Many people make mistakes. His happened to be a slightly larger mistake and he was justly punished for it. I chose not to punish him any more by withdrawing my respect.

And yes there is good and bad. The bad people are in prison! And good people are not completely devoid of bad things.

There is no black and white. There is only gray.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Worst higher level cricket relating decisions

marc71178 said:
7. LE is probably the only one on here who remembers this.
It was terribly important in the small picture - to isolate South Africa as much as possible from the international stage. Rugby should still hang its head in shame, and so should every cricketer who sold out to the almighty rand by taking part in rebel tours.

Now as far as the 'big picture' was concerned, isolating South Africa from international sport probably had little effect on its own, but every single reminder to the John Vorster et al government was bound to be cumulative.

I loved (and still do) South African cricket - but I had no hesitation in joining with Peter Hain, Tariq Ali and the other activists of the day in protesting the 1970 tour.

Did we have an effect? Not much, really, but it just might have helped the REAL heroes like Steve Biko and Nelson Mandela just a little by reassuring them that there were other people in the world who hated the regime which cost so many lives and so much dignity.

Cloete

International Captain
7. Banning of SA:

well this is difficult. it's a yes and no for mine. at the time there would have been no "coloured" players in teh team. some may have been good enough. and the aparthite was shocking.

but having said that think of the current state. SA HAVE to play a certain amount of "coloured" plyers now. Sure some are worthy, but just think of the more worthy "white" players. Shouldn't they now be banned for this injustice? I mean you can't rule on the picking of your team because of the colour of their skin.

I mean some are completely deserved, e.g Gibbs and Ntini. But remember when Ontong was picked over Rudolph against Australia becasue of teh colour of his skin. So if they're going to ban SA for the aparthite surely something has to be done about the current situation. or that can be considered racism as well, can it not?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cloete said:
7. Banning of SA:

well this is difficult. it's a yes and no for mine. at the time there would have been no "coloured" players in teh team. some may have been good enough. and the aparthite was shocking.
Not only that, but the whole boycott came about because they would not allow Basil D'Oliveira, a Cape Coloured, to play for England in SA.

but having said that think of the current state. SA HAVE to play a certain amount of "coloured" plyers now. Sure some are worthy, but just think of the more worthy "white" players. Shouldn't they now be banned for this injustice? I mean you can't rule on the picking of your team because of the colour of their skin.

I mean some are completely deserved, e.g Gibbs and Ntini. But remember when Ontong was picked over Rudolph against Australia becasue of teh colour of his skin. So if they're going to ban SA for the aparthite surely something has to be done about the current situation. or that can be considered racism as well, can it not?
The Quota system no longer has a hand at International level, and rightly so. It was needed (and still is) at state level to encourage blacks and coloureds to participate - even if it does result in the occasional farce (Easterns (??) in the 2001 SuperSport Finals picking 2 nonbatting/nonbowling coloureds).

The case of Zimbabwe atm is far more prevalent and utterly farcical.

FRAZ

International Captain
OK listen
I just didnt say any thing with out any fact
Ban of Cronje was really really too harsh . Why ? because Cronje what ever he
did clearly showed he was nt a professional cheater.
Obviously many others and almost all the established good cricketers have had
atleast some relation with the bookies. Am I right or wrong ?
And what exactly happened in the Cronje case was that , he was stuck in the
situation , that what should have been done now. and actually he tried to
dump the bookies choice thats it .... And who was fired and humiliated ?
that was obviously Cronje . I am wondering why we dont look upon the Root cause of it
Have we ever tried to stop Bookies ?? did that bookie got any penalty ?
no ... I think that we can not stop this thing 100% . But we should also not dump the
cricketers like this . I guess what ever Cronje did, showed that he was a Non professional
cheater , And it should have been regarded as his first and last mistake. Doesnt some one remember
that Steve Waugh and Warne also admited that they have been helping bookies . Were they dumped ??
Theft is a theft no matter whats the size of it ...
Actually ICC in my view must have got some thing fishy going on in the higher ranks.
And they have nt been able to finish Book ism. wHO WAS THE BASIC CRIMINAL ? Wasnt that bookie ?
What happened to him ? He is still there and when ever he is gonna get chance, he will do it again ..
And in the end Whoes victory was it ? It was definately not the Cricket's victory .It was that Bookie's victory that
showed that No one can cheat with them, other wise that mafia is gonna dump them.
This Book ism is gonna b there as long as betting is gonna be done on cricket . What is the solution ? in my view, This
Online betting on cricket is the so far best solution . its more safe and has less human interactions.
And we have to adapt a managment level tactical approach.If there is a good personality in the Cricket world ,then
that is Imran Khan .In 1986 (that time book money was nt so high ), Imran was gonna lead his team in Sharjah Cup final, Imran
heard some rumors that some senior players are may be gonna sell their performances ,So what he did was that , He then put
all the 2nd prize money in favour of Pakistan victory .What was the result? All the Cheaters had to rethink ,And drop
their evil idea of being sold..And result , Pakistan won .
End result , We should Kill bookies not the players , Because Cricket's beauty is with the players like Cronje.
And Cronje was less guilty than Salim Malik and shane Warne And Steve Waugh And Azhar Uddin .
And as far as Chuk is concerned , I ll raise this question that why the certain Chukers not stopped at the start of the carrier
and once again I will say that when they are at the prime and they are like murdering the Batsmen of decision making countries ,
then these people say , "He is a F***** cheat and F****** chuker .. Am I right or wrong? Root cause again means , The pre Career
preparation of any international cricketer must be improved .
And as far as Development in the other countries is concerned , then I will say that Development comes with the Victories not just
the presence in a certain cup.DEVELOPMENT should be done when we are gonna send experts in these countries to prepare them properly.
And as far as this 35 over thing is concerned then there is a certain logic behind it , I remember playing a match in LA and
some Americans were also taking some interest in the game and they liked the fast bowling and the hitting part of the game ,But after some time
they were not in the regular sessions , And the reason they said was ,It is a long game . In my view if we are gonna make the
One dayers a 35 overs game then there is gonna be more excitement and infact 50 overs game is more like
a tactical game and 35 over one is gonna be a do or die one and smaller countries will have a more chance of winning , and any single
individual performance is gonna lead them to a victory .
there are many other things which can be said , Well lets see if some one has any other good idea..