• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate Parthiv patel ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Do me a favour an WATCH Parthiv Patel keep. He is not good enough. He can bat and he is young but he cant KEEP.. simple!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
his keeping is fine, he still has alot to learn but its fine for the moment, this guy has the potential to play 200 tests for india, give him a break and let him learn

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just because he is young and can play 200 tests if he plays for 20 years, doesnt mean you select him into the squad when he is not up to it.

He has potential but so do some other people right from Ajay Ratra to any other young unkown keeper in India not tried yet. When you are good, you are picked into the XI. Before, you maybe picked into the XVI for some experience like a Taibu was done with Zimbabwe.

India had a huge mistake of changing a lot of keepers after the thigns got mushy with Mongia and they didnt develop an experienced keeper which they shuold have. That keeper should have played for 2 more years ideally and then Patel should have been given a chance into a test team if his potential converts into quality keeping.

Patel is not good right now as I see it in his Keeping.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
his keeping isfine, i think you are being far to critical and harsh on him, give him a chance, hes got alot of talent and is already showing alot of improvement justr on this tour. give the guy a chance, stop criticising every little mistake he makes and give him a go

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Do me a favour an WATCH Parthiv Patel keep. He is not good enough. He can bat and he is young but he cant KEEP.. simple!
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying (yes I do, I'm just being nice).

If you want an idea of how good a keeper is with respect to natural ability, don't just watch his gloves - watch his feet.

Parthiv Patel is exceedingly quick-footed and gets into position very early - oh, he can keep, all right.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I watched him in England and I supported the decision to get some one new looking promising. I agree to give time. But he was horrible vs the Kiwis in home in India. He hasnt really kept all that well whatever balls the Aussie batsmen have not hit here too (they dont miss much these Aussie batsmen). Its a fifth day pitch today and so he is bound to make mistakes. But just watch him a bit closely today if you see the match and you will now why I am not really impressed with him playing test cricket right now.

deeps

International 12th Man
ugh,his keeping has gone crap again....dravid is a better keeper than him.....patel is young and can bat...he can't keep...in that case,why don't they just select an 18 year old batsman and try turn him into a wicket keeper?

i'd say he's the worst wicketkeeper playhing international cricket atm...i haven't seen read keep...

but he's worse than gilly,boucher,taibu,jacobs,mashud

perhaps sangakkara might b the only one worse

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
leave the guy alone, his keeping was fine for today, on a 5th day pitch with spinners bowling more than half tthe day, one of whom is Kumble who is a quick spinner, he is bound to make a couple of mistakes - but hell, if he had not fumbled the Gilchrist stumping he probably would have got his foot back :D

also he has done work with Healy and is aparently coming along quite niceley, just give the guy a chance

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He has got 12 tets and a year and a half of chances already dude. As Greg Chappell was saying in commentary, you feel for the guy but if he is not good enough, he shouldnt be playing. He actually effects others careers too. Like if Karthik's chances were taken and he comes up with a good 5 wicket hal, his career can start off. Thats what Chappell said.

I believe yuo shuod play when you are god enough, not on potential. Certainly not for 12 tests. How many tests have u seen him keep?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
greg chappell says almost as much as david hookes...

should Ganguly be sacked as captain cause in the first ininings he started Pathan and Agarkar off at the wrong ends.... and hes been playing cricket for alot longer than most.

Wicket keeping takes alot of concentration - and it takes TIME TO LEARN at each level, ive done a reasonable amount of keeping myself and it takes time, you have to give him time to feel comfortable in the role and learn more and more, and you will find that the guy does very well - but dont just listen to me, why not listen to Ian Healy, he seems to think Patels going ok.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
deeps said:
ugh,his keeping has gone crap again....dravid is a better keeper than him.....patel is young and can bat...he can't keep...in that case,why don't they just select an 18 year old batsman and try turn him into a wicket keeper?

i'd say he's the worst wicketkeeper playhing international cricket atm...i haven't seen read keep...

but he's worse than gilly,boucher,taibu,jacobs,mashud

perhaps sangakkara might b the only one worse
Are you David Hookes?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
hould Ganguly be sacked as captain cause in the first ininings he started Pathan and Agarkar off at the wrong ends.... and hes been playing cricket for alot longer than most. Wicket keeping takes alot of concentration - and it takes TIME TO LEARN at each level, ive done a reasonable amount of keeping myself and it takes time, you have to give him time to feel comfortable in the role and learn more and more, and you will find that the guy does very well - but dont just listen to me, why not listen to Ian Healy, he seems to think Patels going ok.
I dont think Ganguly has been making many blunders as a captain. Some times he makes mistakes like every one else does.
The thing is Patel has been bad for 12 tests and a eyar and a half now. I dont know how many tests Healy has watched him keep. You can think he is yuong for a year, maybe some more time. But then the patience starts to wear off. Patel will get dropped, if not now, then in six months time at the most and it would mean a promisign keeper has lost 6 months of experience at the international level.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why so anti-Patel? Is it a Kolkata v Ahmedabad thing?
HaHa no. That would have been true if I supported Deep Dasgupta coz he is from Bengal and next in line for a place in the side. :D

I am not for both of them, simply coz India should have a good keeper and not a passable keeper. If they want a batsman who can keep improperly, it would be best to choose Dravid. Now I am not a supporter of Dravid in the test team too but for one dayers, either find some one who can actually keep or have Dravid.

masterblaster

International Captain
Do we have any 17-18 year olds here?

If we do, you try and keep to Anil Kumble's 100 kph spinners, bouncing all over the place on a turning track.

Or

You try and face that snarling beast, Jason Gillespie or Brett Lee coming for your head.....

Its not that easy now is it???

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Test cricket is not expected to be easy, right? Play him when he is good enough. He cant play because he is an 18 year old and normal 18 year olds cant play like him and its not easy out there. You have to be good enough to play. Else you dont play.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think he's good enough.

He's the best wicket keeper ive seen since Mongia. People shouldn't be so critical of others. Its a tough ask wicketkeeping, and the most important thing is that John Wright and Sourav Ganguly have complete faith in him.

Ian Healy, one of the greatest wicketkeepers of all time was full in praise about Parthiv's character, attitude and skill with the gloves and the bat.

For once India has a solid Wicket keeper batsman, and I dont know why people are complaining, after years of mediocre wicket keeper batsman.

I just think if at 18 he can take good catches and make an aggressive 62 against the best team in the world, imagine...what he'll be like at 28.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Glad to see people think they know more about wicket keeping than Ian Healy. :rolleyes:

How much more knowledge is this guy going to take back to India after this tour? It's going to do wonders for his career and India are actually looking like they will get a solid number 7 batsman. Australia have Gilchrist who is of course awesome with the bat, so that means if a couple of early wickets fall they've still reasonably safe. If Patel continues his aggressive nature with the bat, India could be in the same boat soon.

Regarding his keeping, his competitive nature is what has won me over. Mark Taylor (I think) said himself that Ian Healy made these same sort of mistakes when he first started out, but the experience he got from playing at the highest level allowed him to improve. Patel can go the same way, and I'm willing to guarantee he will if he is kept in the side.

deeps

International 12th Man
masterblaster said:

If we do, you try and keep to Anil Kumble's 100 kph spinners, bouncing all over the place on a turning track.

Or

You try and face that snarling beast, Jason Gillespie or Brett Lee coming for your head.....

exactly the point! i wouldn't be able to keep to kumble,and so i shouldnt' b in the team... Just coz he's young and has potential,doesn't mean he should b in the team... The old saying "practice makes perfect"...If i started keeping to kumble, zaheer etc. eventually i'll become a decent keeper... same goes for patel, of course he's gonna improve...but wat i'm trying to say is that there's ppl out there that are better keepers than him already....Patel can improve in the domestic circuit,and perhaps fill in when the regular is injured... Or play tour matches etc.. His keeping is not up to test standards YET...it willl be,and then he should have a spot in the tema...but until he is good enough, he should not b in the team..

Think of this situatino: Kartik to Ponting...he misses a stumping...ponting goes on to make 260...
Kartik to Hayden...drops a catch...hayden makes a double tonne as well

india go on to lose the match....kartik gets dropped because he didn't take ne wickets...when in actual fact it should b patel who should b dropped coz he just cost the team over 400 runs....Kartik's career would shatter....he won't get many opportunities,with kumble and harbajan two well established spinners

I know keepers will miss catches,and it's a hard job etc etc etc. But if he's not up to it,he shouldn't b doing it for the test team... India were lucky this time that those missed opportunities didn't cost them TOO much...but next time,it may not be the case

i am however impressed by his batting,and for that reason,i don't believe that he will b dropped..unfortunately

V Reddy

International Debutant
masterblaster said:

Or

I don't think any one here is good enough to be compared to any International Cricket player. Sangrah even at Nehra's age won't become as good a bowler as Nehra but that doesn't mean you can't criticize him. That is what the forum is for:saint: .

Patel is making far too many errors in the last 5 tests. While his batting has improved , his keeping went the other way. Don't listen to what those players say. Manjrekar said that Nehra bowls like Wasim Akram and that he is a real find , Wasim Akram during the last test that Pathan is much better than what he was at his age ,etc,. but that doesn't mean they will become as good as them or even close to them. It's the performances which count and the reality is Patel's keeping has been poor in the last 5 tests. There are others like Prasad, Dahiya who deserve a chance as they have been plundering runs in domestic cricket. Prasad is the main reason Andhra has qualified in to the elite group. Although Dasgupta hasn't scored many runs last year, his keeping is said to have improved. If it is the case then he can be brought in as he has the experience and is a proven batsman in International Cricket. People like Laxman, Dravid , Ganguly , Chopra , Sehwag, etc,. all played 4 -7 years of domestic cricket before they got into the test team. Patel is no tendulkar.