Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rakitha Weerasundara

Rakitha Weerasundara

Yeah, just got beaten by Zinzan on the New Zealand corruption probe thing. You can't delete threads, so RW now has one.

Last edited by Kippax; 04-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Fixed the thread title for you. Enjoy your Weerasundara discussion thread.
    Kippax likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Very flamboyant drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Just saw this edit. Great stuff.

I believe my first post upon seeing a highlights package of this bloke a while ago was merely:

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    So I'll just leave that here again.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Been posted before but 38 seconds. Just glorious.

Looks promising.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Dat drive

Being of subcontinent family origins and short, I look forward to the press referring to him as diminutive for his entire career.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

His folks are from SL aren't they but he is born in God's own. I imagine he will have to various 'angle' interviews before his first tour to SL should he ever be selected. I think they did one on Jeetan before an Indian tour once.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Looks like Guppy on the drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Looks like Guppy on the drive.
    death bells there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    His folks are from SL aren't they but he is born in God's own. I imagine he will have to various 'angle' interviews before his first tour to SL should he ever be selected. I think they did one on Jeetan before an Indian tour once.
    Born in Colombo actually, his dad was an SLBC cricket commentator during their 1996 World Cup win.

Cricket: Rakitha Weerasundera riding high in Kiwi land | Times Online

“Being Sri Lankan means cricket is in my blood. My dad (Asoka) was a passionate cricket fan so he introduced me to the game and ever since then I’ve loved it,” Rakitha reveals.

“The coach I have had as a youngster and still have now is a man named Ivan Tissera, who has helped me from a young age and has shaped my technique and how I approach the game.

“I also had a lot of contact with Mahela Jayawardene because my dad was good friends with him and he has acted as a role model for me. I wanted to play just like him. And my dad is someone else I look up to and has helped me a lot with my cricket.”
    He hopes his current vein of form will earn him a contract with the local first class team, the Wellington Firebirds, next year, through which he could eventually earn a call-up to the New Zealand senior side.

Referring to his country of origin, Rakitha comments that he maintains strong bonds with Sri Lanka, with many of his relations still residing here.

He adds that he has frequently benefitted from the support of a representative body in New Zealand, the United Sri Lanka Association (USLA).

He has also directly witnessed the country’s cricketing landscape when he toured Sri Lanka as part of the Willows Cricket Team that engaged in fixtures against several school and district sides.

A conspicuous feature of that tour for Rakitha was the stylistic difference between his team and the varying opposition.

“The main difference I noticed is the natural flair some of the Sri Lankan batsmen had compared to our New Zealand batsmen. A lot of our New Zealand batsmen have a solid, structured technique compared to Sri Lankan batsmen, who play with their instinct,” he noted.

Yeah, it should be noted there are a lot of 'shots on goal' and quixotic misfires with Weerasundara that go into these compilations. None of these U19 attacks would be walking off the park feeling he was just too good for them, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Born in Colombo actually,.
    I believe you but I had good reason for my mistake see this cricinfo page Rakitha Weerasundara | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I believe you but I had good reason for my mistake see this cricinfo page Rakitha Weerasundara | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
    Yeah that's come up before (both that specific case and the issue in general). Cricinfo just guess birthplaces a lot of the time for new players in the database; they'd be better off just listing one if they didn't know it though. Very annoying. Should fire them an email.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    cricket archive is usually pretty good on that front
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information