• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Former NZ cricketers investigated in betting scandal

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eeek :blink:

Cricket | New Zealanders Investigated In Cricket... | Stuff.co.nz

The International Cricket Council's anti-corruption unit is investigating cricket match-fixing involving former New Zealand players.

The ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU) has been in New Zealand during the past four months as part of an investigation into match- and spot-fixing, the New Zealand Herald reported.

It is believed up to three former New Zealand cricketers are involved in fixing that allegedly occurred in more than one country.

"It's a difficult situation," New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White told the Herald. "New Zealand Cricket is aware the ICC is investigating some former New Zealand cricketers.

"Unfortunately, we are not in a position to comment further and all inquiries have to be directed to the ICC."

The probe relates to historic games featuring international stars, the Herald reported.

Players involved could face bans from cricket ranging from a few years to life, depending on the level of co-operation with the ICC.

The ICC's anti-corruption and security unit's Australasian head, John Rhodes, is involved in the inquiry.

An ICC representative told the Herald: "The ICC does not comment on any anti-corruption or ACSU activities taking place," and repeated a "we don't comment at all" line when asked if New Zealanders were involved.

The allegations of New Zealand players being involved first came via Delhi bookmaker Vicky Seth in a 2012 sting story in London's Sunday Times.

According to the Sunday Times the match fixers had boasted about recruiting players from England, New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh in order to throw international games.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
There is a bit of a cross over in these stories Cleaver's article states that the offending occurred out of NZ. So it is surprising that an Anti Corruption guy was here but this interview with Craig Stanaway indicates that there is an issue with NZ domestic cricket as well.

To quote him
"I know for a fact that NZ cricketers, the first class scene, is been talked to by the NZ Police are talk, particularly around the January Period...around match fixing"

Craig Stanaway - AudioMedia - LiveSPORT

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeesh, ugly.

There is a bit of a cross over in these stories Cleaver's article states that the offending occurred out of NZ. So it is surprising that an Anti Corruption guy was here but this interview with Craig Stanaway indicates that there is an issue with NZ domestic cricket as well.
I'm surprised at this - is there sufficient money involved in NZ domestic cricket to lead to match fixing?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeesh, ugly.

I'm surprised at this - is there sufficient money involved in NZ domestic cricket to lead to match fixing?
If it's broadcast live then it can be bet on. And the lack of money in NZ domestic cricket might make match fixing more likely than less. It would be very easy for a 30 year old domestic journeyman with 3 kids and earning $50,000 a year to be talked into making a low score for a bit of cash.

Will be interesting to hear what Cleaver has to say on the next BYC podcast.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
According to the press conference, no games under the jurisdiction of NZ cricket are under investigation.. Which NZ players have played in these useless T20 leagues, IPL and ICL games anyone?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
According to the press conference, no games under the jurisdiction of NZ cricket are under investigation.. Which NZ players have played in these useless T20 leagues, IPL and ICL games anyone?
There's a fair chance it revolves around Bangladesh, Sri Lankan, West Indian T20 leagues given those involved in IPL are still current NZ players by rule, and ICL is longer than 3-4 years ago.

It'd be better for Obba to keep his tweeting trap shut, tarring every player with his 'if you're surprised NZ'ers are involved in match fixing, you're naive' brush.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few names definitely spring to mind for me, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to have those sorts of conversations just yet.

Flem274*

123/5
I was wondering what new mess we would wake up to after a good days cricket yesterday. Always seems to be the case with NZ.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I wouldn't worry too much, we know it isn't an NZ game and I doubt it will be anything serious.. To be honest, and dent in credibility these dire global T20 leagues receives is a good thing in my book..

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
I think it's best that we don't go firing out names on a public forum. At the moment it's all speculation, but they are the names going round this morning.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
A few names definitely spring to mind for me, but I'm not sure it's appropriate to have those sorts of conversations just yet.
No it isn't...and as I said before, a lot of people are being unfairly implicated via Chinese whispers.