• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Former NZ cricketers investigated in betting scandal

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cairns' lawyer & witness in the Modi libel case arrested :huh:

Cricket: Cairns expects ICC case to accelerate - Latest Cricket News - Keep up with Newstalk ZB

Another twist in match-fixing allegations against former Black Cap Chris Cairns.

Cairns has confirmed his lawyer Andrew Fitch-Holland has been arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice during his successful libel trial against Lalit Modi in 2012.

Fitch-Holland also acted as a witness in the trial, in which Cairns was cleared.

Cairns says in some ways it's a positive, because it shows progress in the investigation.

"I can confirm that I've been contacted by the police and the ICC, and I'll be engaging with them over the coming days and weeks.

"I still don't have any detail about the basis or the nature of the enquiry.

"Just pleased that at least the authorities are finally engaging with me after four months, so this matter can be resolved once and for all and I can get on with my life."

Cairns insists he's not sure if the arrest of his lawyer is in relation to his libel case against Lalit Modi.

Fitch-Holland also acted as a witness in the 2012 trial, which Cairns won.

Cairns says he doesn't know the exact nature of the accusations.

"Nobody has engaged with me about the entire process or actually what it pertains to so this is something that happened over in England with Andrew and I can only say that it's inappropriate for me to comment on someone else's legal situation."

"At least I've got people engaging. Been hellish four months for me. I just want to get this resolved.

"At least now we're hopefully getting some information about what's going on so it's something that now seems to be accelerating and we'll deal with it accordingly."

Cairns says he's engaging with police and the ICC, and will continue to do so.

MORE: Chris Cairns on The Devlin Radio Show

The report says British Police have joined an ICC match-fixing investigation centred around claims by Modi that Cairns was involved in fixing while playing in the ICL in 2009.

Cairns and fellow former Black Caps Daryl Tuffey and Lou Vincent are currently being investigated for fixing allegations.

Last edited: