• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Former NZ cricketers investigated in betting scandal

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latest............

Chris Cairns Says ICC Corruption Investigation Must... | Stuff.co.nz

Chris Cairns has spoken publicly for the first time since sensational corruption claims linking the former Black Caps star and two other ex-New Zealand test cricketers to an International Cricket Council (ICC) investigation.

Shortly after news broke this morning of the ICC investigation into three former Black Caps for alleged match-fixing, Cairns spoke with Fairfax Media.

"We need to let the investigation by the ICC run its course," Cairns said in the only statement he was prepared to release to the media before conferring with lawyers.

Former test batsman Lou Vincent, meanwhile released a statement this afternoon confirming he was one of the three players at the centre of the ICC's anti-corruption investigation and that he would co-operate with officials.

"I wish to let everyone know that I am cooperating with an ongoing ICC Anti-Corruption investigation that has been made public today," Vincent said.

"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment.

"I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time."

Cairns, Lou Vincent and Daryl Tuffey are the three players who have been named throughout the national and international media as the subjects of the investigation by the ICC's anti-corruption unit.

Cairns, regarded as one of New Zealand's greatest allrounders, has previously successfully defended match-fixing allegations.

He sued powerful Indian cricket official Lalit Modi in the London High Court last year after Modi tweeted in 2010 an 'unequivocal allegation'.

The tweet related to a match in the now defunct Indian Cricket League (ICL) and was reported by leading cricket website Cricinfo who later withdrew the report, paid damages and apologised to Cairns.

Cairns, Vincent and Tuffey all played for the Chandigarh Lions in the ICL which was battling for supremacy against the rival and ultimately successfully Indian Premier League, run by Modi.

Cairns won a settlement of $NZ174,000 in March last year. The judge also ordered Modi to pay Cairns' legal bill of $774,000. Modi was then unsuccessful in appealing the ruling in October last year.

Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White confirmed he knew the identity of the three players had known about the investigation for "months". He wouldn't reveal the players. The NZ Cricket Players' Association took a similar stance.

But White did reveal the matches under investigation had happened "three or four years ago". Cairns retired as a player in 2008.

His last matches were in Twenty20 for Nottinghamshire, shortly after the ICL wound up.

White also said the allegations spanned more than one country.

Vincent retired last season. In recent years, he has played in the Bangladesh T20 League and other international T20 competitions.

Tuffey now plays club cricket in Sydney and was not returning calls from Fairfax Media.

Vincent also couldn't be contacted. The former top order batsman recently shut down his Twitter account.

At his libel trial against Modi, an emotional Cairns revealed his devastation over the tweeted match-fixing allegations.

"The defendant's allegations have also had a profound effect on my personal and private life. It put a strain on my marriage. It hurts that my wife may think that I am not the man she thought I was," Cairns said at the trial.

"It hurts me too that friends, many of whom are former cricketing foes, will question my integrity as a man and a sportsman and that all I achieved in the great game of cricket is dust."

The judge said that Modi had 'singularly failed' to provide any reliable evidence that Cairns was involved in match-fixing or spot-fixing, or even that there were strong grounds for suspicion that he was.

He said: 'It is obvious that an allegation that a professional cricketer is a match-fixer goes to the core attributes of his personality and, if true, entirely destroys his reputation for integrity.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
The ICC anti-corruption unit probably saw this as low-hanging fruit to bolster its reputation. When they start looking back to WC '99, then we'll know they're serious.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Love Cairns when he analyses cricket, reckon he really knows his stuff. Gutted if its true and he's done it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love Cairns when he analyses cricket, reckon he really knows his stuff. Gutted if its true and he's done it.
Lived in Dubai for quite some time and had a sports programme on a local radio station - absolute natural in media

Also frequented my local and has a stunning wife

Sports, booze, good looking women - what's not to like?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Response from Chris Cairns ..

Chris Cairns | Hey ICC, I'm not a cheat, you know... | Stuff.co.nz

OPINION: When I walked out of the High Court in London last year with the cricketing world knowing I was an innocent man, I truly believed my nightmare was over.

Twenty months ago, I gave up two years of my life to fight one of the richest and most powerful men in world cricket at the time because I was not prepared for my name to be smeared by lies and cowardly rumours.

The High Court in London rejected claims that I had been involved in match or "spot" fixing.

I was vindicated.

But the experience was brutal and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

It put my life under the microscope for all to see. For me and those close to me it was a painful ordeal. But we came through it, the truth won out and Mr Justice Bean told the world in his judgment that not only was there no credible evidence against me but there were " no reasonable grounds" to even suspect me.

I left those proceedings with my credibility and reputation intact.

I thought I could start to rebuild my life, seek gainful employment and start again. I recently returned home to New Zealand with my family where an opportunity became available to get back and involved with cricket again.

Can you begin to imagine how sickening it feels to be the subject of yet more rumour and press speculation now as I am embarking on a media career that is potentially in ruins?

I'm realistic. I know there will be people out there who say "no smoke without fire" but is that really what we've come to? Should anyone's reputation, their family, their livelihood, be dragged through the mud on the basis of media stories without any open official information being put out there?

What do I say about the allegations? I say what allegations?

As I pen this article, no one from the International Cricket Council or NZ Cricket has approached me about this investigation. Yet I am named around the world as one of three NZ cricket players involved in it. But until I am notified by the ICC that I am involved in this investigation, how are media around the world allowed to print such an incorrect account of the current facts?

My position is that I have always said and continue to say that I will fully co-operate with all enquiries and that if it is alleged against me that I have match fixed this is wholly, completely and totally untrue, accepting, of course, that if allegations are made they must be fully and properly investigated.

Of course corruption in sport is a serious issue. It's right that the authorities investigate but there are rules and procedures to follow that protect those people involved in any investigation, so why should this investigation be any different?

We don't have trial by media or by innuendo. The ICC have not named me and NZ cricket say they have to keep this all confidential. So why is my name and my photograph plastered all over the sports pages and the internet around the world? Just who put my name out there and what's their agenda?

This is a matter I will get to the bottom of.

It's good to be home in New Zealand. We play our sport hard but fair and we are respected the world over for that. And that's all I'm asking for. Not special treatment. Just a hope that those who wish to challenge my integrity have the guts to do so to my face.

Of course I want this garbage to stop, and stop quickly. But I never hid on the cricket field and I'm not hiding now. I'm proud of my reputation and I'm proud of my family name. My "accusers" know my name even if I don't know theirs. They are the ones hiding.

My name is Chris Cairns, former Black Cap and proud holder of the New Zealand Order of Merit.

Hello International Cricket Council, I am not a cheat and you know where to find me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Judge's Verdict said:
"...
12. My task is therefore to decide whether or not Mr Cairns was a match fixer; or,
alternatively, whether at the material time there were strong grounds for suspicion that
he had been a match fixer.

15. Before me the parties did not make a distinction between match fixing and spot
fixing, and neither shall I. Both are cheating. As Mr Andrew Caldecott QC for the
Claimant put it, if Mr Cairns was a cheat, he loses his case.
74. Mr Beer was put forward as an independent anti-corruption officer with no axe to
grind, and emphasis was placed on his long experience with the police. But he had, as
I have noted, given the Defendant’s then solicitors access on a privileged basis (in
both senses) to his file of witness statements in June 2010; and both that action by him
and his own 2011 witness statement were partisan to the point of being
unprofessional. I was not impressed with his evidence.
etc etc

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It does very much sound as though Dinesh Mongia set him up, from reading the transcript.

But anyway, it will be interesting to see what Vincent and Tuffey have to say.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
lou.png

:wub:

edit: wtf why is it small until you click it? This forum has gone **** for images

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhaka Gladiators owner guilty of match-fixing - World Cricket | IOL.co.za

Dhaka Gladiators owner guilty of match-fixing

February 26 2014 at 08:14pm
By SAPA
Dhaka - A special tribunal convicted one of the owners of the Dhaka Gladiators Wednesday of match-fixing in the tainted Bangladesh Premier League, while three international cricketers pleaded guilty in the 2013 scandal, officials said.

Shihab Jishan Chowdhury, managing director of the reigning BPL champions, was found guilty of one charge of “being a party to an effort to fix the Chittagong match”, the tribunal said.

New Zealand cricketer Lou Vincent, Sri Lankan Kaushal Lokuarachchi and former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful all admitted guilt over their roles in the scandal.

“Vincent, Lokuarachchi and Ashraful have already pleaded guilty,” Shakil Kasem, a member of Bangladesh Cricket Board's three-member Anti-Corruption Tribunal told AFP. “We're going to review their guilty pleas, deliberate on that and come up with sanctions within two weeks.”

Kasem added the sentence against Chowdhury will also be delivered in two weeks.

Six people, including ex-Bangladesh cricketer Mohammad Rafique, were cleared of all charges.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was watching the under 19s WC and when it finished early Fox Sports here in Aus was showing the "Best of the ICC Champions Trophy" (lol I know I know). They showed the Ind vs. NZ final from 2000. Chris Cairns was so awesome :(

Blocky

Banned
Feel a bit sorry for Cairns because to be honest, no one has proven he has done anything wrong, he's having his name smeared all over the show which has stopped him taking up an active role with SkyTV as a media pundit and he's the only guy who has come out in the media and vigorously denied he had any involvement with illegal activity, even went to court over it where the judge agreed with him and from the sounds of things, ICC are completely ignoring him, not telling him anything nor investigating him, trying to get his ex wife to do something dirty against him rather than just approach him.

****ing ICC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Feel a bit sorry for Cairns because to be honest, no one has proven he has done anything wrong, he's having his name smeared all over the show which has stopped him taking up an active role with SkyTV as a media pundit and he's the only guy who has come out in the media and vigorously denied he had any involvement with illegal activity, even went to court over it where the judge agreed with him and from the sounds of things, ICC are completely ignoring him, not telling him anything nor investigating him, trying to get his ex wife to do something dirty against him rather than just approach him.

****ing ICC.
:naughty:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Just as a general comment I know Vincent got done for his "actions" at the BPL, but what right does the ICC have investigation match fixing at the ICL (assuming that is where Tuffey and Cairns are being targeted), given that they disowned it as a competition, so that Bondy could not destroy international batting line-ups around the world.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Vincent pleaded guilty to not informing authorities of being approached by bookies. That's all he's pleaded guilty to.