• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

300 run partnerships

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Just wondering, how many times (during the course of a series
in Australia), has a player from a visiting team been involved in more than one 300 run partnership ?

Laxman is the first example that comes to mind of course but who else ?
Any famous names ?

Bazza

International 12th Man
No he just knows how to bat against Australia:

v Australia 12 22 1 1334 281 63.52 5 4
overall 50 83 10 3460 281 47.40 18 7

v Australia 14 13 1 484 102 40.33 2 2
overall 58 56 3 1472 102 27.77 2 9

Anyway, my vote for worst 300 partnership ever goes to Wasim Akram and Saqlain Mushtaq! It is the record 8th wicket partnership, but still....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Laxman's taste for Australian bowling was revealed at a very, very young age - can't remember if it was under-15 or under-17, but he broke the record for most runs in an international series at that level against an attack including the embryonic Jason Gillespie and Brett Lee.
It was obvious to those who knew that he was going to be a star from about then. Just needed to be left away from that opening slot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Laxman's taste for Australian bowling was revealed at a very, very young age - can't remember if it was under-15 or under-17, but he broke the record for most runs in an international series at that level against an attack including the embryonic Jason Gillespie and Brett Lee.
Looking at the 2 years between Laxman and Lee I would imagine it would have to have been U17 (or Lee would've been 13 in an U15 series with Laxman 15, which seems less likely to me.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently it was under-19:duh:
Don't know how I got that confused.
The side also included Nicholson and Symonds.

krkode

State Captain

Anyway, my vote for worst 300 partnership ever goes to Wasim Akram and Saqlain Mushtaq! It is the record 8th wicket partnership, but still....
That was less of a partnership than of butchery by Wasim Akram. :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Apparently it was under-19:duh:
Makes it even more likely.

I had a suspicion that it was unlikely for Gillespie and Lee to be paired at a low age group as I thought there was reasonable gap between their ages.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Well, unless Wisden have made a serious error it's true.
It is quite possible that they do make errors, the ages just don't add up.

There's also the glaring error they made in linking up with an inferior website... :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Put quite simply - dey 'ad no choice.
Wisden were struggling for prosperity, CricInfo were struggling for cash.
Just because of James' superior running of a certain site, with help from various others, doesn't mean you can instantly judge others on that.:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Herschelle Gibbs has now been part of four - all opening - and Graeme Smith three.

The pair of Gibbs & Smith now has 3 - more than anyone I *think*

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Herschelle Gibbs has now been part of four - all opening - and Graeme Smith three.

The pair of Gibbs & Smith now has 3 - more than anyone I *think*
Cricinfo commentator seemed to think so too.