• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI discusses restructure in sharing of ICC revenue

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is an unreasonable demand by BCCI. Kick BCCI out of ICC. Start by throwing them out of t20 world cup in BD. This will be a good guidance on what BCCI/India brings to the table and will allow ICC and and the rest of the boards to budget their expenses accordingly for reduction in cricketing revenues(if any). After all cricket was flourishing before BCCI gained power. Its probably better to have ICC w/o BCCI. They should also give veto power back to ECB and CA given their record for caring for the game.
T20 WC in Bangladesh without Indian revenue:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BCCI forgetting that crucial edict of business and economics - "We all do better when we all do better". Incredible short-termist approach by them. If anything, they should be investing in the cricket cultures of cash strapped countries, and encourage trading of domestic players to improve the overall level of cricket.

One thing that should be made absolutely clear to the BCCI is - If you want a greater share of revenue, then you must be ready to take on more responsibilities wrt developing the game in the less commercially-developed and cash strapped countries.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So you think the BCCI's options are either play by ICC's rules or they're not allowed cricket to exist? Don't reckon they could start their own independent league??
It's an interesting question. What if the ICC and the other boards refuse to budge on the equal sharing of World Cup funds? Do India walk out and start their own World Cup? And if so, who would go with them? I could imagine the ECB standing with the ICC, and the NZC and the WICB are probably desperate to keep the status quo as well. But I imagine pretty much everyone else would take some kind of compromise.

uvelocity

International Coach
nah. money is the one bargaining chip the bcci has. they take their money off the table, and nobody will put up with them anymore.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends. A lot of boards rely on a slice of the pie they get when India tour, which might make the poorer boards more amenable to bending over to BCCI demands, which in light of the Lorgat thing might be the end goal here. Need to teach the other boards their place etc so the BCCI can have their own way, whether its appointments to national cricket boards, tour schedules or whatever.

That or the BCCI figure if push comes to shove, they figure they can go it alone and believe the Indian market will be quite stable on its own with IPL and whatever other tournaments they come up with.

uvelocity

International Coach
i think they'd face a massive backlash if they wanted to go it alone, india is coming up in the world in many ways, and i reckon its people want to see their cricket team winning world cups, not boycotting them

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not a single **** here can seriously blame them for doing this. Its incredibly sad, but cricket is an entertainment business and competes with non-sport activities and entertainment events. These ****s just want more money.

Unfortunately they are not only good at raising money but misuse their power. This would be less of a big deal if:

a) they weren't inherently evil; and
b) the other boards were actually good at what they did.

The cricket boards of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies and others have dug their own hole half the time. They don't have an automatic right to money when they are contributing **** all to the game, and often, costing boards money. Having said that, there's no doubt seeing them get even ****ter with less resources is bad for the overall game.

It just generally sucks. Everyone else needs to pull their finger out and make cricket a genuinely competitive sport, both with all teams and also competitive against other sports and other forms of entertainment. That responsibility requires the BCCI to not be ****s, sure. But it requires the other boards to learn to not be absolutely pathetic at running a sporting organisation.
BCCI is pretty bad at running the game too - they're just lucky they exist in India and there's no other game in town. If you put BCCI in SL, they'd suck just as much. It's not a fully professional organization like CA or ECB.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's an interesting question. What if the ICC and the other boards refuse to budge on the equal sharing of World Cup funds? Do India walk out and start their own World Cup? And if so, who would go with them? I could imagine the ECB standing with the ICC, and the NZC and the WICB are probably desperate to keep the status quo as well. But I imagine pretty much everyone else would take some kind of compromise.
I bet the ECB would not. ECB and CA are the other two boards who'd likely make more than they do now under BCCI's new organization. And NZC and WICB might very well become insolvent without BCCI tours. I'd be surprised if they voted to stay apart.

You'd pretty much need EVERYONE to have a united front with the end goal if preventing BCCI from leaving. Because if they did, you'd kind of have to follow.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
CA have actually moved a lot in recent years to reduce their reliance on Indian tour revenue - domestic TV rights (especially the BBL) is a big part of how/why that's happening.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
On the whole this just shows how much the entire world of cricket financing is hat in hand waiting for grants and entitlements. BCCI just demanding reforms where it suits them, but on the whole finance structure ought to be tossed out the window and new form brought in that genuinely promotes members, associates and affiliates developing sustainable cricket programs at home that way ICC cash would be a bonus not a lifeline. I talk crazy sometimes

Shri

Mr. Glass
i think they'd face a massive backlash if they wanted to go it alone, india is coming up in the world in many ways, and i reckon its people want to see their cricket team winning world cups, not boycotting them
Simple. Become more like the 'muricans. Play different franchises/states from within India and call it the "World Championship". We don't give a **** about the ****ing outsiders anyways as we have all seen over the recent past. The '**** the rest' attitude is being under estimated.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If the BCCI is self-sufficient, then so is the NZ cricket board. Just because their money comes from India doesn't mean that NZC is not meeting its budget. The BCCI still depends to a great deal on revenue created by bi-lateral series against the nations whose cricket boards are not "self sufficient". Sure, most of other boards' revenue doesn't come domestically, but then neither does the revenue of Fonterra. Should NZ not send it's milk around the rest of the world?

Say the BCCI broke off and formed an independent league under which the financial compensation is calculated by the metric "if this team were not to play, how much revenue would be lost".

Obviously, India, England, and Australia might be better off.

The consequence is that either they'd have to play even more bilateral series' against NZ, WI, SL and Bangladesh to prop them up, or they'd lose them. Why the hell would you want to lose all those bilateral series that are still very profitable to the BCCI?

so yeah, I'm struggling to see how this could be a good business decision.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
On the whole this just shows how much the entire world of cricket financing is hat in hand waiting for grants and entitlements. BCCI just demanding reforms where it suits them, but on the whole finance structure ought to be tossed out the window and new form brought in that genuinely promotes members, associates and affiliates developing sustainable cricket programs at home that way ICC cash would be a bonus not a lifeline. I talk crazy sometimes

why? Why should they focus on small domestic markets when there's a massive market in India? They host international fixtures and sell broadcasting rights like anyone else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If the BCCI is self-sufficient, then so is the NZ cricket board. Just because their money comes from India doesn't mean that NZC is not meeting its budget. The BCCI still depends to a great deal on revenue created by bi-lateral series against the nations whose cricket boards are not "self sufficient". Sure, most of other boards' revenue doesn't come domestically, but then neither does the revenue of Fonterra. Should NZ not send it's milk around the rest of the world?

Say the BCCI broke off and formed an independent league under which the financial compensation is calculated by the metric "if this team were not to play, how much revenue would be lost".

Obviously, India, England, and Australia might be better off.

The consequence is that either they'd have to play even more bilateral series' against NZ, WI, SL and Bangladesh to prop them up, or they'd lose them. Why the hell would you want to lose all those bilateral series that are still very profitable to the BCCI?

so yeah, I'm struggling to see how this could be a good business decision.
From a financial point of view the 4 sides you've named would be no great loss to the "big" boards. You could probably add South Africa onto that list as well.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
CA have actually moved a lot in recent years to reduce their reliance on Indian tour revenue - domestic TV rights (especially the BBL) is a big part of how/why that's happening.
CA are taking a lot of creative and smart risks to reduce bcci dependence. I hope d/n shield cricket goes well in March. The only way to end bcci dominance is to build a more profitable enterprise that is not dependent on any one revenue stream. CSA could learn a few things from them

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Simple. Become more like the 'muricans. Play different franchises/states from within India and call it the "World Championship". We don't give a **** about the ****ing outsiders anyways as we have all seen over the recent past. The '**** the rest' attitude is being under estimated.
I really doubt this would work... cricket culture is too ingrained surely. I may be wrong but I imagine most young Indian cricketers dream of playing for India, not Chennai Super Kings.

American sports have always been that way, cricket is its own beast and I can't see an artificial desire for money changing that. You can't just change fifty/hundred years of culture.