Cricket Player Manager
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Pakistan v Sri Lanka in UAE 2013/14

My post from yesterday:

Just so I know, why have teams stopped bowling wide down the off side or leg side in situations like these? I remember there being an Aus vs NZ test around 2006 where McGrath bowled beautifully down the off-side, right at the wide mark and kept NZ from getting 20 off 18 balls or something like that. Neither India nor SL tried that recently.
    Anybody wants to answer this?
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Sorry, but this proves nothing.
    it proves that Pakistan have gone from a team in complete disarray when he came in to a team that can go to South Africa and beat the #1 team away imho...
    Last edited by YorksLanka; 21-01-2014 at 03:08 AM. Reason: cant spell!
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

I didn't see the final day, so if people are complaining about delaying tactics in the field then yeah, that's **** I agree, but playing negatively and not advancing the game isn't unsportsmanlike or anything IMO - just to clarify
    Last edited by Maximas; 21-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I didn't see the final day, so if people are complaining about delaying tactics in the field then yeah, that's **** I agree, but playing negatively and not advancing the game isn't unsportsmanlike or anything IMO - just to clarify
    absolutely agree, our tactics were correct, its just that our bowlers let us down not being able to defend 301 in two sesions..the blame lies with them.

To be bowled out for 214 in the second dig probably wasn't a great effort either given Pakistan managed 5-300 odd, the batting was also partly to blame
    Last edited by Maximas; 21-01-2014 at 03:27 AM.

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    To be bowled out for 214 in the second dig probably wasn't a great effort either given Pakistan managed 5-300 odd, the batting was also partly to blame
    Batting definitely more to blame imo. 214 was unacceptable

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by YorksLanka View Post
    absolutely agree, our tactics were correct, its just that our bowlers let us down not being able to defend 301 in two sesions..the blame lies with them.
    You're missing the point by so much.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

State Vice-Captain
    @harsh: I remember Dhoni doing that to win a Test against Australia a few years ago. He had the bowlers bowl outside off to a packed field with hardly anybody on the legside. There were plenty of critics then, Ian Chappell foremost among them, when the game seemed to be dwindling into farce but then the Aussies seem to have had enough and started swinging wildly. It can be an effective passive-aggressive strategy when the batting side is chasing the game but the stakes have to be appropriately high for it to come off. Pretty sure they were in this Test.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 21-01-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lol Lanka

No one is saying SL did the wrong thing (morally) by playing for a draw in terms of tactics, as opposed to gamesmanship.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hendrix, shut up.

Good losers don't make for competitive sportsmen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YorksLanka View Post
    a huge WELL DONE to Pakistan on a fantastic win, which they thoroughly deserved. The simple fact is that our bowlers let us down. We should have been able to defend 301 in two sessions but we didnt and fair play to Pakistan for chasing it down. I have to say that i am not pleased with our players behaviour towards the end and agree thatit was not sporting at all. I would have expected some o fthe seniors to advise Mathews on this and stop it..still he will learn from this. Whilst i am very disappointed at losing this test and the series, i have to say that after so long away from test match cricket, if someone offered me a drawn test series before it started, i would have bitten their hand off.Lets not forget that our opponents are the team that just returned from SA after beating them in their own backyard(which is no mean feat). The positives for me from this tour were that some of our youngsters finally stood up to be counted and showed the world what we know in Sri Lanka, that our future is not a bleak as some would suggest. Again, well done Pakistan, you deserved this win and as for Dav, proves my statements to my many Pakistani friends that he is an awesome coach..Would have loved to have him come back to us tbh...
    When did this happen? Pakistan were blanked by SA last time I checked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    They shouldn't have batted like chumps throughout the game if they hated losing so much. They dug their own grave and started moaning when it was time to go lie in it. Make no effort to advance the game and then throw fits when the opposition shows some fight and turns the tables. Disgusting is the only way to see it.
    Yes, they were totally confused. If they were hell bent on getting a draw - which they undoubtedly were - then it begs the question as to why they declared in their first innings and also why Mathews got out playing an attacking shot after dead batting more than a hundred balls. I was not at all surprised to see Sangakkara and co indulge in such pathetic tactics. Sangakkara has always been like that - lying at the toss in the WC final, "smartly" replacing Jayawardene as captain when he was close to a ban, asking Randiv to bowl no-balls to deny Sehwag etc.I'm just sorry he missed out on some easy runs against his favourite opposition after Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. No doubt he'll be back in form against Bangaldesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    When did this happen? Pakistan were blanked by SA last time I checked.
    sorry my bad . meant to add that they one the ODI series away..youre right, they lost 3-0 in tests..my point was that they are no mugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    You're missing the point by so much.
    and why's that then? if our bowlers did well, irrespective of our run rate, we would have avoided the loss and therefore taken the series..

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread Information