• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan v Sri Lanka in UAE 2013/14

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I didn't see the final day, so if people are complaining about delaying tactics in the field then yeah, that's **** I agree, but playing negatively and not advancing the game isn't unsportsmanlike or anything IMO - just to clarify
absolutely agree, our tactics were correct, its just that our bowlers let us down not being able to defend 301 in two sesions..the blame lies with them.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
To be bowled out for 214 in the second dig probably wasn't a great effort either given Pakistan managed 5-300 odd, the batting was also partly to blame

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
@harsh: I remember Dhoni doing that to win a Test against Australia a few years ago. He had the bowlers bowl outside off to a packed field with hardly anybody on the legside. There were plenty of critics then, Ian Chappell foremost among them, when the game seemed to be dwindling into farce but then the Aussies seem to have had enough and started swinging wildly. It can be an effective passive-aggressive strategy when the batting side is chasing the game but the stakes have to be appropriately high for it to come off. Pretty sure they were in this Test.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I didn't see the final day, so if people are complaining about delaying tactics in the field then yeah, that's **** I agree, but playing negatively and not advancing the game isn't unsportsmanlike or anything IMO - just to clarify
No one is saying SL did the wrong thing (morally) by playing for a draw in terms of tactics, as opposed to gamesmanship.

Jassy

Banned
a huge WELL DONE to Pakistan on a fantastic win, which they thoroughly deserved. The simple fact is that our bowlers let us down. We should have been able to defend 301 in two sessions but we didnt and fair play to Pakistan for chasing it down. I have to say that i am not pleased with our players behaviour towards the end and agree thatit was not sporting at all. I would have expected some o fthe seniors to advise Mathews on this and stop it..still he will learn from this. Whilst i am very disappointed at losing this test and the series, i have to say that after so long away from test match cricket, if someone offered me a drawn test series before it started, i would have bitten their hand off.Lets not forget that our opponents are the team that just returned from SA after beating them in their own backyard(which is no mean feat). The positives for me from this tour were that some of our youngsters finally stood up to be counted and showed the world what we know in Sri Lanka, that our future is not a bleak as some would suggest. Again, well done Pakistan, you deserved this win and as for Dav, proves my statements to my many Pakistani friends that he is an awesome coach..Would have loved to have him come back to us tbh...
When did this happen? Pakistan were blanked by SA last time I checked.

Jassy

Banned
They shouldn't have batted like chumps throughout the game if they hated losing so much. They dug their own grave and started moaning when it was time to go lie in it. Make no effort to advance the game and then throw fits when the opposition shows some fight and turns the tables. Disgusting is the only way to see it.
Yes, they were totally confused. If they were hell bent on getting a draw - which they undoubtedly were - then it begs the question as to why they declared in their first innings and also why Mathews got out playing an attacking shot after dead batting more than a hundred balls. I was not at all surprised to see Sangakkara and co indulge in such pathetic tactics. Sangakkara has always been like that - lying at the toss in the WC final, "smartly" replacing Jayawardene as captain when he was close to a ban, asking Randiv to bowl no-balls to deny Sehwag etc.I'm just sorry he missed out on some easy runs against his favourite opposition after Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. No doubt he'll be back in form against Bangaldesh.

Jassy

Banned
sorry my bad . meant to add that they one the ODI series away..youre right, they lost 3-0 in tests..my point was that they are no mugs...
We shouldn't confuse formats here(in any case one could point to the 4-1 loss prior to the 2-1 win but that discussion is for another thread). In tests Pakistan's form has been patchy at best and pathetic at worst. Their last test series win came against England, 2 YEARS ago. And it isn't like they've played Bradman's invincibles for 2 years either, they dropped a test and shared a series against Zimbabwe(and if not for Younis Khan they may have well lost the series) so let's not big them up to justify a drawn series here. After having got out of jail in the first test, winning the second one and batting nigh on 2 days to post 400 and then securing a near 100 lead, SL would be very, very disappointed with a drawn series. You could even understand Ajmal spinning a web on them and defeating them on a turning track but to concede 300 in 59 over was terrible. I thought India and West Indies had the worst attacks of the top 8 but Sri Lanka have made me change my mind.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan drew their test series with South Africa in the UAE just a couple of months ago, 1-1.

They won the first test and it wasn't due to Ajmal spinning a web or any particularly massive home advantage.

They're inconsistent, but they're a good team, and a drawn series is a massive, massive upset for Pakistan against SL. Pakistan would beat any team in the world in the UAE except for South Africa.

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
They drew 1-1 vs Zimbabwe too, what is your point exactly? I think this is twice in a row that they have struggled to beat SL in the UAE; forgetting SA, who does that leave? Australia - can't say. They might or they might not. India - not going to happen anytime soon but if it did I'd back India to win a close series. So basically that is saying they can beat NZ, England, WI in the UAE.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They drew 1-1 vs Zimbabwe too, what is your point exactly? I think this is twice in a row that they have struggled to beat SL in the UAE; forgetting SA, who does that leave? Australia - can't say. They might or they might not. India - not going to happen anytime soon but if it did I'd back India to win a close series. So basically that is saying they can beat NZ, England, WI in the UAE.
The point is that Sri Lanka have been in awful form for a while - drew their home test series against NZ, got absolutely dicked in Australia, and have barely played test cricket in the past couple of years. Their seam bowlers were averaging in the 70s. Jayawardene couldn't buy a run.

Pakistan on the other hand are unbeaten in the UAE, and were coming off the high of having beaten South Africa in a test and then drew the series. And even their batsmen were expected to score runs against bowlers that average in the 70s.

This is a massive upset.

Jassy

Banned
The point is that Sri Lanka have been in awful form for a while - drew their home test series against NZ, got absolutely dicked in Australia, and have barely played test cricket in the past couple of years. Their seam bowlers were averaging in the 70s. Jayawardene couldn't buy a run.

Pakistan on the other hand are unbeaten in the UAE, and were coming off the high of having beaten South Africa in a test and then drew the series. And even their batsmen were expected to score runs against bowlers that average in the 70s.

This is a massive upset.
I'd agree Pak were favourites at the start of the series but calling it a massive upset is pushing it. Pakistan had Ajmal, Sri Lanka had Herath. Sri Lanka had no one as good as Junaid but otherwise Pakistan's back up bowlers were hardly flash. Sri Lanka had a better wicket-keeper batsman and Mahela Sanga probably cancel YK Misbah out, Mathews is better than anyone not named YK or Misbah in the Pak side so I really don't see how this is a big upset. Pakistan have won one test against Aus in a decade and a half or something so I wouldn't use a series loss to Aus against SL....SL drew a test series vs NZ, that is alright...Pak drew one vs Zimbabwe! Sri lanka's form has been poor sure, but Pakistan haven't won a series in 2 years as well so it isn't like they were in great form.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
No i agree with Hendrix that this is an upset to be honest. We havent played test cricket in a long time and its also our worst format of the game. Add to that, that we are are a team in transition, then i would have not expected anything but a loss in the test series. I did think we would get closer in the ODI's but that wasnt to be..Pakistan may be inconsistent but they arestill a very good team imho..

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd agree Pak were favourites at the start of the series but calling it a massive upset is pushing it. Pakistan had Ajmal, Sri Lanka had Herath. Sri Lanka had no one as good as Junaid but otherwise Pakistan's back up bowlers were hardly flash. Sri Lanka had a better wicket-keeper batsman and Mahela Sanga probably cancel YK Misbah out, Mathews is better than anyone not named YK or Misbah in the Pak side so I really don't see how this is a big upset. Pakistan have won one test against Aus in a decade and a half or something so I wouldn't use a series loss to Aus against SL....SL drew a test series vs NZ, that is alright...Pak drew one vs Zimbabwe! Sri lanka's form has been poor sure, but Pakistan haven't won a series in 2 years as well so it isn't like they were in great form.
fair enough. I'd make a bit more of the home advantage thing but ymmv.